Recommended Lamps for 3D/4D Mags

Scared of the dark

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to get a mag85 at some point but in the meantime i was wondering if there are any alternative bulbs that could be used in a stock mag to up the output a bit. Really would help if could still use standard D cells as my company supplies me with free pro-cells.

Scared of the dark said:
I'm looking to get a mag85 at some point but in the meantime i was wondering if there are any alternative bulbs that could be used in a stock mag to up the output a bit. Really would help if could still use standard D cells as my company supplies me with free pro-cells.

The MagLED bulb.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a little more output and a bit more throw (also a tolerable beam shape), you might want to try dropping in one of the Xenon Mag-num Star bulbs. It's the first thing that I do with any new Mag light; discard the krypton bulbs and drop in a couple of the Mag-num Stars. Unfortunately, I don't know if they're available in the UK, nor how much they might cost, but on this side of the pond it's a relatively low cost option that adds considerable usability to the Mag products.

Scared of the dark said:

rwolff

Enlightened
Since you're going to go for the Mag85 anyway, you'd eventually be getting the 9AA-3D adapter. If you get it now, that opens up a number of possibilities.

With 8 AA NiMH and 1 dummy cell, you've got 9.6V of output - drop in a 6 cell MagnumStar bulb and you've got the brightness of a 6-cell in a 3-cell form factor. I've got a 2D host (hardware store 6 cell bulbs for now - MagnumStar on order) with the 8AA-2D adapter.

If you get a 12AA-3D adapter (more options once you go for the heavy mods, but you've gotta watch out for battery diameter), use 12 AA NiMH and replacement bulbs for the flashlight head of a 14.4V cordless tool.

mac66

Newly Enlightened
I just put one of those Xenon bulbs in a 3D maglight. Got it at Home Depot for $2.50. Works pretty well.

Timson

Enlightened
The quickest and easiest drop-in which ought to out do a Xenon - Magnum star is to replace the 4D lamp with a 3D lamp.
Will burn brighter and whiter....Downside is less lamp life - but so what ! :naughty:

You can't put a 2D lamp in your 3D because there's just too much voltage and the lamp will instaflash.

However...You could leave the 3D lamp in situ and put 4 C cells in there with some packing to make up for the lack of diameter.
This will achieve the same output as the modded 4D Mag. :)

Tim.

chrisse242

Enlightened
I love the Pelican Big Ed rechargeable Bulb. I'm running mine with 4 nimh-cells (4xc in the 3D-Mag, or 4xD in the 4D-Mag). Brighter and whiter, and you can use all of those vey nice textured reflector. You still don't have deal with millions of cells, holders and everything.

Chrisse

sniper

Enlightened
Diamond DB3W. Bright, long-lasting, brighter than the Xenon 3 cell bulb, and a throwbeast! I have 2.

brett174

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, to hijack this thread but I also have a 4D mag I have been wanting to do a simple and cheap upgrade to.

Would it be possible to to put a 3D magnum star lamp into? Is there any other lamps I should consider using? I've been reading a lot about using different batteries to get more power, but I'm not too confident about doing this plus I think it would add significantly to the cost.

I also plan to get a UCL lens. Can anyone recommend something easy I may have missed? Thanks

Scared of the dark

Newly Enlightened
I tried a 3D Mag-Star in my 4D Mag a while back and it lasted all of 2 minutes then died. Personally wouldn't recommend it. I've also put 3D stock bulbs into the 6v lanterns (big square battery ones) and they worked quite well, got about 15 hours before bulb died.

Timson

Enlightened
If you're going to use a 3D lamp in a 4D mag, then use the standard Halogen bulbs that come with Maglites.
This is a recognised quick mod that gives a decent improvement over stock in both brightness and whiteness.

The Magnum Star is a Xenon lamp - Xenons don't handle over voltage like the normal Halogen ones can. So don't waste your money trying that out.

Tim.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe they ship different bulbs with Mag Lights in Europe, but in the U.S., they are shipped with Krypton PR bulbs.

Timson said:
If you're going to use a 3D lamp in a 4D mag, then use the standard Halogen bulbs that come with Maglites.
This is a recognised quick mod that gives a decent improvement over stock in both brightness and whiteness.

The Magnum Star is a Xenon lamp - Xenons don't handle over voltage like the normal Halogen ones can. So don't waste your money trying that out.

Tim.

Blazer

Enlightened
NutSAK said:
I also highly recommend the Terralux/Diamond DB-3W in the 3-D cell. It's my favorite throw light.

:thumbsup: I agree. Killer throw, but a little skimpy on the flood, so if you're looking for a tight thrower drop in the TLDB-3W and bob's your uncle...

rwolff

Enlightened
Timson said:
Tim.

Again, not trying to hijack, but how well do they handle a mild overdrive? I'm running a 2D body with Modamag 8AA-2D holder and 8 AA NiMH (9.6V) with a 6 cell (9V) hardware store Krypton bulb. I was planning to order 6 cell Magnum Star bulbs, but will they handle this overdrive?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most bulbs used in flashlights are already overdriven. In the case of the 6 cell bulbs, the KPR118 (probably your hardware store bulb) is rated for 7.2V and the Mag Xenon 6 cell bulb is probably a bit lower than that (though Mag provides no such information,) making it more vulnerable if you apply too much voltage. Just because the bulb is intended for use in a 6 cell light, it does not mean that it's actual rating is for 9V.

rwolff said:
Again, not trying to hijack, but how well do they handle a mild overdrive? I'm running a 2D body with Modamag 8AA-2D holder and 8 AA NiMH (9.6V) with a 6 cell (9V) hardware store Krypton bulb. I was planning to order 6 cell Magnum Star bulbs, but will they handle this overdrive?

Scared of the dark

Newly Enlightened
Well Today decided to Put 4c in the 3d, and 5c in the 4d. dont like the paper wraps. gonna see if the guys in the tech dept will help me run off some mahogany(We're drowning in it at the moment) tubes to fill the gap.
Also gonna order up some 4,5 cell MagStar lamps and give them a try.
Found a cheap solution to artefacts in the beam pattern. CUt a circle out of a polypocket and fit it behind the lens. Does a decent job and costs less than 1p. Not sure about it melting though at high temp.