Recs for backwoods perimeter lighting for my Vanagon Syncro project?

IdahoDoug

Newly Enlightened
Just got this vehicle going after it sat under the previous owner for 8 years. Intention is to use it as a light expedition vehicle and moveable steel basecamp for things like remote camping, mountain biking and snowshoeing. As such, it will sleep my family "out there" for a lot of nights.

Being a lighting enthusiast, one thing I wanted to add was a "what was that?" button in the sleeping area that will light up our perimeter. Would be neat for the family to watch animals that may come through camp at night, and in an urban setting would provide some security. I envision a discreet row of three 3w LED's just under the rain gutter for each side, one row buried in the grille for the front, and for the rear something I haven't figured out yet that will be up high yet when the hatch it open it will remain in position to function as a utility light.

I have found a few things on police lighting websites, but am astonished at how much they want for a single pod with three 3w LEDs in it. Typically around $80 each. Many of these units are called "alley lights" and are often fired through side windows to light down alleys as they patrol. They are also often on the ends of roof mounted light bars - same function. If anyone knows of better priced sources than "you're buying this with county checks" pricing these places offer, I'm all ears.

I've considered a single roof light bar that has a good 360 view around the vehicle, but these are insanely expensive, usually have colored LEDs and would likely get scraped off by limbs. This vehicle is going to be in serious offroad places, so I need these tucked tightly against the body. Even considered flush mounting some right into the body but it's a bit of a collector vehicle and cutting into it would be a negative.

Ideally, someone would chime in with a link where I can get weatherized 3W LEDs in strips that I could just epoxy in the 1/2" space under the rain gutters. Discreet, well protected, not connected to a board allowing me 356 different blink patterns, and less expensive.

Thanks in advance!

Doug

IdahoDoug

Newly Enlightened
That's weird, I thought I did post it there. Just went to look for it and it was not there. Any idea where it ended up? Thanks, Doug

HB021

Newly Enlightened
How about small led-strips around the car? Or why not put a group of 4 auxiliary lights on the roof with 4 Cree XMLs in each and 45 degree beamangle. I googled a light like that for 189$/pair. 378$ for 16000 lumens :). I'm going to buy 4 of these for my car to stack up with my 16000 lumen headlights hehe...

Last edited: