Red Hot Chile Peppers!!

ypsifly

Enlightened
I grow habaneros and other varities every year. Had a good year for Habs.

I've been wanting to try some Ghosts for a while. I wonder if my produce rep can get any. Are seeds available in the US? I know that at one time you could only get them through mail order in the UK.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I grow habaneros and other varities every year. Had a good year for Habs.

I've been wanting to try some Ghosts for a while. I wonder if my produce rep can get any. Are seeds available in the US? I know that at one time you could only get them through mail order in the UK.

Have you ever grown any chocolate or white habeneros? If so, how do they taste compared to the normal ones?

timbo114

Enlightened
A buddy of mine at work made this mistake. ... so I'll warn you ahead of time.
He went for a squirt in a hurry - no washy the hands - he paid the price.

Do not touch your junk after handling these peppers!

I'd suggest even washing your hands in milk.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest that CPFers with a taste for heat look up Blair's Death sauces ;) Some of the hottest and tastiest sauces I've ever had. Some of them are just too much for me, though :crazy:

Regards,
Tempest

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Here's a repeat of a pic from last year's crop. Same good luck this season.

SN852658.jpg

Geoff

donn_

Flashaholic
Spectacular pepper! We tried it in a Sloppy Jose mix tonight, and it performed beautifully.

About a third of a Bhut, simmering in the stew for 45 minutes, and it was fantastic. Hot and fruity! There were a few Jalapenos and Serranos in the mix as well, but the Bhut shined through, and 25 minutes later, the heat is still there. What a great pepper!

ypsifly

Enlightened
Have you ever grown any chocolate or white habeneros? If so, how do they taste compared to the normal ones?

No. Just regular Habs/Scotch Bonnet and Caribbean/Savina Reds.

I have considered Chocs and Whites, but I pretty much stick to the standard variety as I have a standardized strain that I love and the rest of my pepper space in the garden is devoted to a few Cayenne and Jalapeno plants every year with a few spaces left for new varieties. This year I had decent results with Hot Portugal, Jalapa, and Bulgarian Carrot Peppers.

Thanks for the links Dane!

donn_

Flashaholic
Another indication of the potency of this pepper... I just spent 10 minutes separating and counting (60 from the first one) the seeds from this fruit. I just plopped them on a paper plate when I prepped the pepper yesterday.

I could smell the seeds, and feel the heat with my nose and eyes as I manipulated them (with bamboo skewers) on the plate. The fumes were palpable, and I can still feel it in my eyes, 15 minutes later.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
The New Mexico Chili Institute carries both bhut jolokia seeds and now have a Holy Jolokia sauce. I bought two packs of the bhut jolokia seeds and gave one pack to my grandaughter and somehow misplaced the other so I need to order more seeds. I plan to get two bottles of the sauce and more seeds. I have a son in law that loves hot sauces I send him, we'll see if Holy Jolokia does the trick.