Red leds

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any/much difference between the various red leds out there these days? Going to drop a red 5mm in an old mini mag for a dark dark light and would like to grab a small handful of extras. Is nichia worth the extra cost? How much difference between 630 and 660nm?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
660nm and above is what you want, but be aware that in order for it to work to prevent night vision loss, it needs to be so dim that you can't tell it's red, it should look almost brown. A single color emitter means zero color differentiation as well. Before you put too much money into it, be aware that the example astronomers use, the Rigel Starlite with infinitely adjustable output, is only $30.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I don't plan on putting more than a couple bucks into the project. I have been very impressed with the utility of a minimag with a nichia GS running direct drive and I wanted a vision preserving red version. I'll probably grab a $1 bag of leds off one of the chinese sites and start from there unless I stumble into brand name parts on the cheap.