Reducing glass lense diameter

Ctechlite

Enlightened
Anyone got any suggestions on how to reduce the diameter of glass flashlight lenses/windows? I'm modding an XM2 and flashlightlens does not seem to have available the appropriate diameter. I ordered the one that was closest but it is just a bit too big. I've also got an Orb that I took apart and dropped/broke the lense and the same thing there...ordered the size that was as close as possible but just a bit too big.

I'm thinking wet sanding but am not sure. I know too much heat and the glass will crack/break on me. But how do you keep a consistant diameter?

One idea I had was to use a silicone adhesive (bathroom caulk type stuff) to glue it between two pieces of metal and spin it between centers on my lathe and use wet sandpaper...but I've never done this before and wanted to get some help (if available) first. After spinning and sanding I could just peel off the silicone with (hopefully) no damage to the lense.

Thanks in advance!

B@rt

Flashaholic
Definately wet sanding, and I'd put on something to protect the coatings. ;)

Me, I'm lazy, I'd go to my optics shop and ask them to sand it down for me... :grin2:

Ctechlite

Enlightened
B@rt said:
Definately wet sanding, and I'd put on something to protect the coatings. ;)

Me, I'm lazy, I'd go to my optics shop and ask them to sand it down for me... :grin2:

By optics shop do you mean like an eye glasses/spectacles type of shop?