Refused service at a restaurant tonight

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:
...Basically I was going to say my immediate thought caused me to think I understood why you didn't want to speculate. I thought that it must have been a wierd chemistry/lifestyle encounter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo, Jeff. That's why I was having trouble verbalizing my feelings about it.

Anyway, I'm feeling better about it since I took some corrective action. Hopefully this will spare some other patrons from the same kind of public humiliation.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I had to severely tick off a counterpart a few months back - personal issues *STAY* PERSONAL.

I try to do the same myself but I can tell you guys it is hell of a hard to remain professional when others drag you through their personal issues directly or indirectly. How do you guys do it?

COMSEUR

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
next time belch and say get over here sweet cheeks

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Mean Mister Raggie!! Now I've got COFFEE on my monitor!!
(really, sniff!)

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I should not get back into this, since it's none of my business, but what the heck.

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said...
Anyway, I'm feeling better about it since I took some corrective action. Hopefully this will spare some other patrons from the same kind of public humiliation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im sure you are feeling better about "correcting" the waitress. After all, she publicly humilated you! She should be fired or at least punished, right?

But what if you are wrong. Think about how likely it would be for her to deliberately try to humiliate you. First, you are a total stranger. Second, it cuts into her income. Third, you had no interaction. Fourth, ignoring someone is not a very effective means of humiliation.

Many years ago I realized something that made me re-apraise all the insults I'd ever suffered at the hands of mean, uncaring strangers. I'll share it with you.

There are many, many, many more inept and uncaring people in this world than there are mean ones.

The key is the difference between malice and [bindifference[/b]. A mean person will try to hurt you through acts and words. An inept person or person who does not care may insult you, but only by accident or by happenstance. There's an old rule of thumb: No insult was given if none was intended. If there was no intent to humiliate, it was not an act of malice.

Think of the last random encounter where you were insulted or offended. Was it really meant to make you feel bad, or did the person just not take you and your feelings into account.

Did that grocery store bagger deliberately smash your bread in the bottom of the bag, or did he just not pay attention?

Did the idiot "cut you off" or did he not notice you?

Is the government clerk really demanding your social security number to **** you off, or just following rules?

Is the mechanic really trying to over charge you, or does he just lack basic trouble-shooting skills?

Did the waitress really try to humiliate you, or did she just goof up? Keep in mind that if she thought you were someone else, she still was not trying to humiliate you. Her target would have been the other person.

In closing, ask yourself when was the last time that you did something petty to a complete stranger just to insult them. That's about how often others do it too.

I, too would have talked to the manager. It's his job to make sure that all customers are waited on. I'd ask him to review the serving timelines with the staff. After all, NONE of the people waited on you, not jut that one waitress.

Daniel

P.S. My favorite non-insult is the naming of sports teams and their mascots. I used to be proud that the redskins, chiefs and indians were part of our culture. I'm part Cherokee. For some unknown reason, we can have aa MLK high school, but not a team named "The Braves". Someone, somewhere was offended.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Did the waitress really try to humiliate you, or did she just goof up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, you're absolutely right, but he didn't chase her down and kill her, only complained to her manager /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif So if she screwed up she gets chewed out once and goes back to work more aware of the problem. How many of us have been chewed out by our bosses over the years for simple stupid mistakes, sometimes that weren't even ours?

If she's evil and does it a lot then her manager will eventually fire her, but thats not his fault really.

It's the JOB of a waitress or waiter to make me feel like they are giving me more attention than they really are. If they can do that or at least manage to bring my food from the kitchen before it gets cold then I tip generously. And if they can't get it to me, or screw it up and are friendly about it and help me fix it or are at least nice to me, I tip them anyway as it's not their fault if they are understaffed or if the kitchen screws up my order. But if on top of all that they are rude to me, then they are not up for that particular job. Sorry.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Yep. Absolutely. Agree.

A rude or inept waiter/waitress is in the wrong job. A skilled one is a delight, and adds greatly to the enjoyment of a meal.

I was really just trying to communicate a point of view where life becomes less stressful and more enjoyable. It's easy to nurse an insult and let it color your whole day. Stress councilors will advise you that as you dwell on an insult you relive it and experience the same amount of stress as the original incident. If you can disregard the unintended insults and slights you can focus your energies and attention on things you like.

A simple test makes all the difference. A simple qusetion: Can the words be taken in a positive way?

It's much more likely that someone will badly phrase a neutral comment than it is that they will deliberately say something insulting. This does not apply to anrgy people or people who have a reason to really dislike you. Of course, if they are angry, you can cleverly discount that comment too, since it's not a personal attack but is instead lashing out.

Ok, I've said too much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Restaurant waitstraff and their attitude is a huge deal for me. We go out to eat fairly regularly and see a wide variety of service. For what it's worth, here are my takes from our experiences:

- We always give a place or a staff member a second chance. Who hasn't had a bad day once in a while? But screw up more than twice and you'll never see us again.

- "Get the manager. Now!" I've said this only once or twice, but I can get a little bit extra volume in my voice when I need it. I believe in letting management know when they need to fix something.

- My wife and I like to see funky looking people. Variety is pretty neat and we like people watching. And you do not need to look like a punk to be an a**hole. We judge people by what they do.

- Tipping is not a city in China. We tip very well if the food and service is up to what we expect. However, serve us bad food and a huge helping of attitude and I'll leave you a whole dime smack tab in the middle of the table, clear and plain as daylight. Get the idea?

- We hate chain restaurants. The food is almost always boring and the same, so what's the point? Most importantly, they tend to treat their help like crap and the waitstaff has to deal with the same crap everyday, so they develope attitude if they don't have it when they get hired in the first place. So we go to the local restuarants even (especially) when we travel. Try something new and it lets the restaurant show off what they do best. That usually makes everyone happy and keeps money in the local community.

- I also let the waitstaff know when I have let the manager know that we were impressed with them and the food as well. A good tip helps but hearing something good about the place helps the management and owners improve attitude for everyone. Besides, it's nice to hear good stuff once in a while, too, isn't it?

Just my opinions on this topic.

Dagnabbit, now I'm hungry. Wings & a beer?... mmmmmm, beeeeerrr....

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I'll chime in here, and I appologize in advance if this seems like a rant. I'm a waiter at a privately owned (not chain) resturant that has a fair amount of "buzz" going on around it- its always packed on Friday and Saturday nights with long waits.

When I read about your experience, my first thought was exactly what gaget_lover said- each server thought another one had your table. This misunderstanding has happened to one of my tables once and it sucks! By the time it was sorted out that I was supposed to take the table, (imagine my embarasment) the customer had made up their mind to be incredibly rude and huffy- even after I appologized several times, gave them free drinks and appetizers, and wrapped up their food to go for them, they still left no tip. This has not happened again as I have learned to keep an eye out for people who look like they are waiting for some attention, whether they are in my section or not- most of the time they have already been greeted and are just awaiting drinks.

Out of curiousity, what time did you eat there? I find that this is most likely to happen when the resturant is "moderately busy." If it's very slow, its hard to not notice someone. If its very busy, there are probably more servers on, with more clearly deliniated sections, and generally more staff to notice if someone is not recieving good service. I'd argue that it is the fault of all of the staff, and not just the spikey-haired girl, that you were not greeted. Even if I am very busy and can't take an order right away, a simple aknowlegement that I am aware of the customer and will return goes a long way.

As many have mentioned, serving can be a very hard job- you must cater to a wide variety of people all at the same time, but give each of them individualized service. Servers sometimes do prejudge tables, considering that they make a living off of the tip: no tip=no pay (the $2 an hour we are paid by the owner goes to taxes- YOU are paying us to work for you). My opinion is that it is always worth while to be as helpful and polite as possible- I never give attitude. That said, some customers need to learn that servers are hard working people (and most of them are much smarter than you would expect- it's not a job for idiots). They are not your personal butler, nor are they an annoyance to be buzzed off with a wave of the hand; as with anyone, treat your server as you would like to be treated and you'll see how much more of a pleasurable experience you will have.
Rant off- Plug on:
If any of you NJ CPFers are interested, here is the link to my resturant's website:
http://www.thetortillapress.com/
If you come, I'm easy to find as I'm the only male server working there. Be sure to bring a flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Jon

Topper

Flashaholic*
PW, you ask why I was tossed from a Denny's umpteen years ago. Well I am not sure. I remember going to a James Gang
concert they had a nobody warm up band FOGHAT!! Yep that should date it abit. Many CPFer's may not know the James Gang heck some may not remember FOGHAT. Go figure it was either really late or really early when we stopped at a Denny's one of my pals was black one was Oriental they both were real sure it was my fault we got tossed out. I recall a slight understanding problem. It did not matter wich one of us tried to order they did not seem to understand. I got testy (so they say) and talked slower to attempt to help then, Kiu started cussing me in Vietnamees, Chibu just sat there and laughed in a deep voice pointing at me; next thing I know the police were there to help move us along after "field tests" they almost took off Chibu he could not stop laughing and pointing at me long enough to pass a simple drunk test. I have not stepped into a Denny's nor heard anything "New" from the James Gang. To be young again!
Topper

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:

Im sure you are feeling better about "correcting" the waitress. After all, she publicly humilated you! She should be fired or at least punished, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about this long and hard before reporting it. The manager confirmed that there was a behavior problem with this particular employee, so I don't think I was too far off base. The manager asked me what I wanted; I told him that I just wanted the Behavior to stop.

[ QUOTE ]

But what if you are wrong. Think about how likely it would be for her to deliberately try to humiliate you. First, you are a total stranger. Second, it cuts into her income. Third, you had no interaction. Fourth, ignoring someone is not a very effective means of humiliation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I considered that. You had to be there to see the body language and other circumsnatces. Taking that into consideration along with the manager's remarks, I didn't over-react.

[ QUOTE ]

There are many, many, many more inept and uncaring people in this world than there are mean ones.

The key is the difference between malice and [bindifference[/b]. A mean person will try to hurt you through acts and words. An inept person or person who does not care may insult you, but only by accident or by happenstance. There's an old rule of thumb: No insult was given if none was intended. If there was no intent to humiliate, it was not an act of malice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand.

[ QUOTE ]

Think of the last random encounter where you were insulted or offended. Was it really meant to make you feel bad, or did the person just not take you and your feelings into account.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can usually identify acts of indifference, inattentiveness or simple stupidity. Happens to me all the time while driving, at restaurants, anywhere. I am guilty of such acts myself. This was none of those.

[ QUOTE ]

In closing, ask yourself when was the last time that you did something petty to a complete stranger just to insult them. That's about how often others do it too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the time, yes. But every now and then I run across one of those people whose life is so screwed up that they wind up acting out in inappropriate ways towards others. Judging from the way this individual acted towards me vs. everyone else, it was quite clear that something was "up." Again, you had to be there to see what I mean.

[ QUOTE ]

I, too would have talked to the manager. It's his job to make sure that all customers are waited on. I'd ask him to review the serving timelines with the staff. After all, NONE of the people waited on you, not jut that one waitress.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point, Daniel, and the manager certainly took note of the fact that I was sitting there for a half-hour waiting for someone to come over and say hello. Attitude problem or not, it was a failure of their hospitality system.

[ QUOTE ]

P.S. My favorite non-insult is the naming of sports teams and their mascots. I used to be proud that the redskins, chiefs and indians were part of our culture. I'm part Cherokee. For some unknown reason, we can have aa MLK high school, but not a team named "The Braves". Someone, somewhere was offended.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's always puzzled me also. While the original "Chief Wahoo" logo for the Indians was a little visually denigrating, the current logo looks fine to me. I also didn't seed any problem with the Braves... after all, the name signifies courage and independence, right?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
It's the JOB of a waitress or waiter to make me feel like they are giving me more attention than they really are. If they can do that or at least manage to bring my food from the kitchen before it gets cold then I tip generously. And if they can't get it to me, or screw it up and are friendly about it and help me fix it or are at least nice to me, I tip them anyway as it's not their fault if they are understaffed or if the kitchen screws up my order. But if on top of all that they are rude to me, then they are not up for that particular job. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

My attitude also, James. I try to be aware of things like an overloaded kitchen or other things that are out of their control. As a matter of fact, following that incident I drove down the street to another place (I was starting to go hypo by then and NEEDED something!) and even though the chef messed up the order, I still gave the waitress a good tip because it wasn't her fault, and besides she was really nice, a welcome change from where I'd just come from.

I've seen waitresses take abuse from rude, belligerent, stingy, drunk, obnoxious customers at times. I know it's a tough job so I try to tread lightly whenever I can.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Topper said:
...next thing I know the police were there to help move us along after "field tests" they almost took off Chibu he could not stop laughing and pointing at me long enough to pass a simple drunk test. I have not stepped into a Denny's nor heard anything "New" from the James Gang. To be young again!
Topper

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, that's funny Topper! Yes, I remember Foghat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Back when I was doing the club scene, I often wound up at Denny's at 2am and I saw a lot of characters at those hours!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*
Glad you liked it PW. I saw "Kiss" in Columbus GA, way before they got big time and painted their faces. I have met one of the "Black Oak Arkansas" members wont drop a name but at the time dirt bikes were real fun here, he was taking flying lessons so I really met him twice. My brother inlaw worked at the local airport and introduced me. A couple weeks later at a nearby dirt bike spot A pal ran over all worked up cuz M---y was there and wanted to make sure I met the man. M---y walked up to us before my pal could introduce me M---y yells "Hey Scott I thought you were going to call me, long time no see, you OK? " I gained tons of respect on that day, for just being me. Life has its moments.
I sill think drooling is your best chance to impress the lass; however Sir Raggie my have the inside track on this So drooling and belching in combo my indeed be the clue to winning her over.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
What a neat story, Topper! A brush with fame... actually TWO brushes and some recognition to boot. A Kodak moment indeed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I sill think drooling is your best chance to impress the lass; however Sir Raggie my have the inside track on this So drooling and belching in combo my indeed be the clue to winning her over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duly noted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif Yes, I believe that Sir Raggie's approach would definitely get someone's attention! Trust me though, I have NO desire to win her over! I highly doubt that I'm her type either, don'tcha know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*
It was fun however truth is lots of folks meet and know him
Jonesboro aint that big and Black Oak is a small town the name was a inside joke.
I digress. Let us know how you fair drooling and belching.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Topper,

I saw The James Gang a few times in my teens also. They were good, I remember one concert with a no name warm up band named Savoy Brown. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The James Gang spawned some guitarists who went on to other big name groups back then, like the Eagles, Deep Purple and.....see if you can guess who the third was? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Remember Funk#49 and Walk away. Y'know the guy who started the James Gang originally, I forgot his name, came from the group that did "Time won't let me" from the 60's which was a humongous hit back then (on AM radio)

PS...sorry to go off topic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't want to hijack the thread but of course us guys who exisited in the 70s know who Foghat is. Slow Ride is a classic and Fool For the City is pretty good also. I think it would have been neat to see the James Gang. I'll have to do some research, I thought Joe Walsh was the only famous guy from that band, there were others also?

Latest posts