Regular people won't ask a flashaholic for advice?

DieselTech

Enlightened
Point is, even if your not a flashoholic you would think that if your job is dependent upon certain tools, you would at least endeavour to utilize the best tools for the job.

You would think, anyway...I work with guys who need a good light to do their job, and most of them carry MiniMags. I've introduced a few of them to me E2, and to a lesser degree my Stinger and while they're always impressed, once they ask "How much was it", their interest fades quickly. The common responses I hear are along the lines of "Why should I spend that much on a rechargeable light when the company buys me batteries", or "Who spends that much on a flashlight" from a guy with a 10,000 dollar set of wheels on his car.

Sometimes, even the folks you'd expect to 'get it' just dont. Now when someone asks me for advice, I recommend a Mag with an LED. No, it's not the 'best' light, but it's the nicest one I think I can convince them to buy. It's common enough to be easily found, and they take common batteries.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't openly advertise my hobbies to people. Only close friends and family know about the voices inside my head telling me to buy more lights.

Ditto! If I am using one of my lights and someone curiously askes about it I will inform them. Other than that I like to keep it to my close friends and family............So only they know that I am nutz about lights! ;)

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol- the thread title... i guess we arent regular people. LOL

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I did get a nice "Holy Hell!" from the guy I handed my MTE SSC to the other day when he clicked it on. Then I got to tell him I paid only $12 for it. He seemed interested after that, but didn't want to buy anything online. Too bad for him.

boosterboy

Enlightened
Bottom line: I firmly believe that flashlights are not considered to be tools by the general public, even by people who rely on them. They are regulated in the same catagory as a spare tire or fire extinguisher, use in case of emergency only.

Best regards:
Bob

Quoted for Emphasis.

P.S.

you forgot to add "common sense" to that list of emergency items:nana:

highorder

Enlightened
I find that people that are interested once they see what a good light can do (my EDC is a A19 Cree/flupic) lose interest when they have to go to the internet to find it... the intangables of dealing with a "new to them" seller seem to be a turn off.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not hard to understand, really...

This is akin to what one of us might do if we wanted to buy something we didn't know or care much about, say, some dinnerware. We may well not go to someone who is known to have only the finest Delft china in their house and ask their advice because we'd expect them to recommend something far better and more expensive than what we were looking for (...something to keep the food off the tablecloth...). We wouldn't want a lecture on how good china is really worth the extra $$ over cheap china and we wouldn't want to insult them by asking for their advice and then not taking it.

What advice would you give to someone asking for a 2-D flashlight costing at most $2, and preferably less than $1.....?

LOL
But very well put.

cjlandry

Newly Enlightened
I can't yet say that I'm a "flashaholic", because I'm very new to this, so I can see it from the other side.

I bought a G2 over a year ago, because I'd heard so much about Surefire and their lights, and I decided that it was a small investment for something that would work so well.

Prior to that, I had a few mini-mags, and they did what I expected them to, which wasn't much. I also have a cheap 3-LED Headlight that doesn't do much, but it gets me by in a pinch.

I always had the cheap Rayovac bargain lights around the house, and they'd never last very long. Especially since my kids like to play with them. But I wasn't aware of better lights until last year.

A few weeks ago, I lost my G2, and couldn't stand being without it. I read up on the new LED lights, so I bought a G2 LED. I like it!

Since then, I've been reading posts here, and have been studying MDs Lithium-Ion>Incandecent guide, +compatability/comparison chart. I also read a review of the G2 LED vs the 6P LED, which showed that the 6P has more runtime, due to better heat dissipation.

I've ordered a couple of 6P's, a few cheap Chinese lights, and a bunch of cells and parts, so I can play around with different combos.

Losing my favorite light caused me to get hooked on this. Now I have to learn to refrain from buying every gadget and gizmo that I see on the internet.

I plan to give lights, to some friends and family, as Christmas gifts this year. Folks who just aren't aware that there are some affordable, quality lights available (like me, until recently).

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't yet say that I'm a "flashaholic", because I'm very new to this, so I can see it from the other side.

My friend, if you found you're way to this site, took the time to sign on, then I'm afraid, you're not considered as normal people anymore. Normal people don't obsess about flashlights.

Now say after me,
"My name is cjlandry, and I'm a flashoholic."
;)

cjlandry

Newly Enlightened
My friend, if you found you're way to this site, took the time to sign on, then I'm afraid, you're not considered as normal people anymore. Normal people don't obsess about flashlights.

Now say after me,
"My name is cjlandry, and I'm a flashoholic."
;)

:D

I can't say it. I'm terrified that there would be a flood of "Hi cjlandry!" responses. ;)

swampgator

Enlightened
The common responses I hear are along the lines of "Why should I spend that much on a rechargeable light when the company buys me batteries", or "Who spends that much on a flashlight" from a guy with a 10,000 dollar set of wheels on his car.

I used my E2E the other day during a pacemaker implantation. The doc was impressed. "How much?" Followed by the "why would you pay $70 for a flashlight?" This coming from a cardiologist who just dropped $5000 for a wristwatch.

bessiebenny

Enlightened
Well, I'm no "flashaholic" yet coz I don't have any Fenix/Surefire/Novatac etc.... But I've read so much here that I feel like one anyways compared to "regular" people around me. LOL. Also, I'll soon have around 15 flashlights from DX/KD of various nature and bought a light meter as well.. So I'm slowly getting there.. hehe..

Anyways, people ask me what to get all the time. I'm just one of those gadget guys that people come to ask about what TV/digital camera/computer parts/gaming console etc to get. Now flashlights is one of them. LOL

Coz most of my friends are just in IT, they don't need or want expensive lights. Just something which gives most bang for the least buck. So i just recommend what is good from DX/KD etc. =)