Relationship advice

MicroE

Enlightened
Buy flashlights.

Lots of flashlights and Lasers, guys love lasers.

And some beer.

Invite your friends over to play with your new lights and drink your beer and watch the Terminator (or the Arnold film of your choice.)

Get up the next day with a smile (use Tylenol, if needed, due to the aftereffects of the beer).

Go to church / synagogue / mosque / cult-retraining-camp / whatever group you like.---Marc

avusblue

Enlightened
I just got to this thread and am with MicroE. I may risk offending some, but oh well. The symptoms above are common with people who place their faith in worldly things (other people, possessions, wealth, status, etc.) and not in an all powerful, loving God that wants you to draw close to Him. When bad things happen its easy to lose hope when your faith is placed in temporary things that go away. Get to know God, cling to Him, learn that He craves for you to bask in His love and come to depend on Him. It's the best medicine available to cure what ails anyone. Get a Bible (I recommend a New Living Translation Life Application Study Bible, about $20 in the Wal-Mart book dept., easy to read and understand) and spend an evening reading the book of John and the study notes. If you read it with an open heart . . . a curious and soft heart, God will speak to you through His Word and you'll be amazed and the peace and healing you can find when you become reconciled with Him.

I'll get off my soap box, but please take my advice in the good intention it is offered. If you want to discuss it further privately, please feel free to contact me offline. Good luck and know that God uses painful experiences to reach people and teach / remind them that we are weak alone; we can accept His love and power and ride out the bumps of life easier knowing that we are going to be in His arms after our stopover here on earth passes.

Peace,

Dave

Albany Tom

Enlightened
I don't think anyone's ever figured out the relationship between some women and their fathers. Freud certainly didn't do it. The nearest I can tell, in some cases you can't tell where one personality starts and the other begins. My bet is that she wasn't kidding when she said she needed to "find herself". No human being can get in the middle of that relationship, when it's strong.

My bet is that if you try to keep her, try to talk with her, try to figure it out, you'll be seen as interfering with that relationship, and it'll drive a wedge between you that you'll never be able to get rid of.

Everybody's got a different take on this, but everyone also seems to agree that "stay away" is the thing to do. I'd extend that to include not trying to be friends, or keeping in touch, and instead holding that off until she's sure of what she wants to do. If that sounds cold, it's because it is, and that's exactly what she's doing to you. She's not putting you first, or second...at best you're coming up third.

Maybe eventually she'll look you up again. I wouldn't hold my breath. If it's any consolation, I'm betting that she's not the woman you thought she was. Just a hunch.

Good luck. Oh, and beware of the "quick fixes": buying flashlights, smoke and mirrors, "higher powers", drinking, strippers, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

avusblue

Enlightened
Nathan, I just reread my post and have to add that I don't want to come across sounding harsh or "preachy" or to depersonalize your painful issue. I know its hard and "getting to know God" may sound like a trite, textbook answer. I wrote it because your pain comes across vividly in what you wrote above and I was moved to just share what's always worked for me at times of pain in life . . . troubles with health, relationships, job, all of it . . . God has always been a faithful friend and source of strength. And His Word is the way to access it, together with prayer, it forms a two-way communication channel with our almighty God. So again, we feel for you, and in this time of despair, God is always there.

I saw a billboard while driving a couple days ago: "If God seems far away, who moved?"

Again, peace, and comfort.

Dave

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Albany Tom said:
Oh, and beware of the "quick fixes": buying flashlights, smoke and mirrors, "higher powers", drinking, strippers, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHOA! let's not jump to conclusions here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nathan,

You are in my prayers. I've certainly been through a situation like yours and it takes time and support. There is a lot of good advice that has been offered already so I'll leave it at that. I like avusblue's suggestion the best. Just take things one day at a time.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nathan,
Some good advise here. Personally I would not do any investigation of any type. It's often seen as an invasion of privacy and could ruin any chance of a reconcilliation.

People react differently to loved ones dying. It often magnifies any weaknesses in relationships and causes people to seek out change.

Spending time with friends and family and finding new hobbies or volunteer work all help with the transition from one phase of your life to another.

The loss of a realtionship is also similiar to losing someone to a death. Talking to a counselor or trained clergy is usually a good thing.

Good luck !

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Rifter,

The fact that you're here means that you're hanging out with the guys!

Other Love and War men (and Sasha) are giving you their best advice and I want to add to the mix.

In my best Homer Simpson voice, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Seriously, now is the hardest part but tomorrow it gets a little better and a little better the day after that. On some days you'll move backwards but when all is said and done, you'll know things are going to turn out alright when you have more good days than bad ones.

In the meantime, hang out with the guys and have a beer.

Free

Enlightened
A point of view that may not have been expressed is that this is an oportunity to do some self-exploration. Examine your feelings and reactions to the loss of an attachement.

Realize that there are strong brain chemicals at work when you are in love and attached to someone. When you are seperated there is an actual chemical withdrawl that is responsible for much of the pain you are feeling.

A common reaction is to try to replace the "High" you felt from being in love with another attachment, the worst being drugs or alcohol, but other things can also be a distraction from your feelings. Not to bad mouth religion but it can be a crutch as well and many cults feed on people who are going through similar feelings.

My recomendation is to use this time as an oportunity to explore your feelings and allow them to process and release. The growth you can experience from confronting your feelings rather than seeking distraction from them can be tremendous.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rifter,

Every person is unique and since we have never actually met you or your girlfriend, there is no way that we can really determine or accurately guess what her motivations are for wanting to be alone. You might have hit the nail on the head with your assessment so far, or you might be a million miles off.

I went through the experience of having my father die from cancer, with it's ups and downs, progress and setbacks, denials and rage, and finally acceptance and death. He accepted it before I did. I went through it a second time very recently with my mother's identical twin. I can tell you that there are people who have to deal with these things alone, and there are people who have to lean on others. I am one who has to deal with it alone. The rest of my family deal with it by leaning on each other. It's just the way I am, and it has nothing to do with anyone else.

It's possible your girlfriend may be one who deals with this type of situation alone as well. Until you go through losing a parent, you cannot know what it feels like. You may think you are prepared to deal with it, but you are not. You have to do it on the fly, day by day. I would give her the benefit of the doubt for now, time will reveal more each day. It may be that she wants to spend 100% of her time and emotional energy with her father during his last remaining days on earth. She may feel that she owes him that, or that he needs her more now than ever, more than you do. She may be wrong, but she's not all-knowing, just in pain.

You haven't mentioned how old she is, or her father. Is he dying at a young age? That makes a big difference. Is this a long struggle with cancer? Has she ever lost someone before? How close were they? All these things have a big influence on her current state of mind. She may not know why she wants to be alone. Even if she told you why, she might be wrong and not even know it yet.

There are so many possible reasons for her behavior that you cannot possibly hope to figure them out on your own, and we, who have never met either one of you, don't have a chance at all of guessing.

I would play it day by day and lean on your friends and family, as many others have said here already. Don't burn any bridges, be there for her emotionally. Send her some flowers, ask her about her dad's condition. Those who have suggested this may just be a cover to spare your feelings or to make it easier for her to leave may be perfectly right. No way to tell yet. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and the next few weeks will tell the tale. Good luck my friend.

Brotherscrim

Enlightened
Hey Rifter. I know I'm coming to this party late and all, but I have a suggestion for what you should do;

1) Go down to the record store. Buy "Small Change" by Tom Waites.

2) Then, it's off to the party store. Buy a 6 pack of your favorite beer (I highly recommend Guinness).

3) Head home, play the albulm, and drink at least 2 beers before the end of the record. Cry, laugh at how screwed you are, get angry, whatever - just don't go anywhere or call anyone. Spend some time being sad all by yourself.

4) Wake up in the morning and get on with your life. Maybe she'll come back, maybe not. One thing's for sure - she made it clear she doesn't want you hovering over her shoulder. Trying to convince her over and over that she's making a mistake will just make it harder on both of you.

Will the above fix anything? Probably not. But it might take some of the sting out of the situation.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think tkl's advice is right on. He's saying things that you will be thinking in a few months.
Ask yourself if you want to wait around for her to make up her mind. (I think it's already made up.)
This is not to say that you shouldn't be available for her as a friend. Of course you should, you love her.

Now, if I found out that she is seeing someone else, that's a diffent situation all together. By all means, I would dump her immediately, even as a friend, and talk all the trash about her that I wanted to. After all, keeping something like that hidden from you wouldn't be the actions of a friend, would it?

As soon as I felt ready, I would be seeing other women. (Whether or not she's "made up her mind".) Because the truth is, the "I need my space." thing is almost always translated from woman into English as "I've found someone else."

It could very well be that she is torn-up about her dad, and really needs space, for some reason. But either way, it's not cool to ask you to wait for her.

Move on bro.

(Of course, all of the above could be invalid, and you can, and will make up your mind what YOU want to do.)

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
shankus said:
I think tkl's advice is right on. He's saying things that you will be thinking in a few months.
Ask yourself if you want to wait around for her to make up her mind. (I think it's already made up.)
This is not to say that you shouldn't be available for her as a friend. Of course you should, you love her.

Now, if I found out that she is seeing someone else, that's a diffent situation all together. By all means, I would dump her immediately, even as a friend, and talk all the trash about her that I wanted to. After all, keeping something like that hidden from you wouldn't be the actions of a friend, would it?

As soon as I felt ready, I would be seeing other women. (Whether or not she's "made up her mind".) Because the truth is, the "I need my space." thing is almost always translated from woman into English as "I've found someone else."

It could very well be that she is torn-up about her dad, and really needs space, for some reason. But either way, it's not cool to ask you to wait for her.

Move on bro.

(Of course, all of the above could be invalid, and you can, and will make up your mind what YOU want to do.)

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with everything except the friends part. i'm sure you had friends before you met her and weren't looking for another. chicks usually pull this stuff and i never understood it. being friends with an ex never works.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, almost never. I am friends with an X now, and it's the first time I've ever done it successfully but I'll see how long it lasts.

It could well be that she isn't seeing someone else, although I doubt it.

What I'm saying is that I wouldn't abandon a friend. I would start seeing other chicks, as soon as I was ready, I wouldn't wait for her.
Also, if I could afford to stay in the place where I am, I would. If she needs space, she'd have to go find her space somewhere else.
BUT, if I found out there was another guy in the picture, and she was lying, I'd dump her instantly (as a friend), and never look back.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
I'm reminded of a quote from Eddie Albert in a movie I don't remember well.

"A friend? Listen, kid. You want a best friend, someone to talk to, get a dog. Women are to marry, not to be friends with. If you pick a woman for a friend, you're going to end up talking to yourself, and doing disgusting things with the dog."

More or less...

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Albany Tom said:
I'm reminded of a quote from Eddie Albert in a movie I don't remember well.

"A friend? Listen, kid. You want a best friend, someone to talk to, get a dog. Women are to marry, not to be friends with. If you pick a woman for a friend, you're going to end up talking to yourself, and doing disgusting things with the dog."

More or less...

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow--well stated Albany Tom, tkl and Shankus!

im not old, nor young. but i have had my share of relationships, and i agree totally with your above statements.

though i could be "friendly" with my ex's, i could not be a friend. i am aware that there are some that manage to do it--which is amazing to me.

additionally, i told my fiance' that if she wanted to "be friends" with ex's, i wouldnt be sticking around. i dont play that crap. it is just another way of keeping a "backup boyfriend" around. Carey agreed 100%.

in a nutshell, it seems you can be supportive to your (ex?) girlfriend/fiance, but i would take it as a serious sign that there could be someone else she has her eye on--im not saying for sure, but it is something to keep in mind.

i once had a girlfriend that stated "we should see other people". so i did. (she told my she didnt have anyone in mind) then, she was turned down by the guy she was checking out at the gym. she tried to come back to me, found out i was already dating someone. she BLEW UP in the middle of my workplace! heck, she wasnt a youngster--she was 31.

good luck,
Bob

Rifter

Enlightened
Update.

I moved back in with my parents and just got new access hooked up a few hours ago. Im not going to get into it in detail but here is what im willing to share and all you really need to know:

She was cheating, i left, end of story.

And i have a date in about a hour so i gotta go shower and shave. Thanks for all your advice guys, sometimes the truth hurts.

Nathan