Renamed: Tankless water heaters?

Bill.H

Enlightened
Re: Removing a sweat fitting **Mission Complete**

C'mon Dave, give us one of those Tim Allen ToolMan grunts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic

Yeah... more power!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

I'm not trying to brag about my plumbing skills but I am wearing my pants a little lower on my hips today and my shirt is untucked. B@rt, you have a picture?

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast

Please don't bend over Dave, please!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

Remember Dave, once you get plumbers butt......there is no cure!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic

plumber.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Well, at least that plumber isn't hitting the side of a toliet bowl with that pipe wrench. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
That picture reminds me of a Beavis & Butthead episode called "Die Fly, Die!"

MicroE

Enlightened

I'm glad that everything came off o.k.

Remember, if the MAPP isn't hot enough there's always acetylene + O2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

whiskypapa3

Enlightened

Now that you got it down good sit your plumbers butt in the diesel Suburban and come on up to Washington. Lots of old drips that could use a bit of torchin' 'n' twistin' 'n' sweatin' 'round here.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Tankless water heaters?

Sorry to revive this thread but...My repairs were not addressing the real problem. It seems I have a small leak in my tank.

I need to replace my water heater this weekend if at all possible. I have looked at the standard stuff at Lowes, Home Depot and Sears. Nothing new there but the install would be easy. I have looked on-line at some tankless heaters but can't find anyone that has one so I can get an actual opinion. I am on electric service, no gas in the house at all.

I have two questions :
Anyone have experience with a tankless water heater?
Is there anything new and exciting in the tank type water heaters?

Thanks and here we go again

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tankless water heaters?

yes.
don't know.

(as far as I know all tankless heater run on gas, though. they'll save about a quarter to a third of the energy used in a tank heater.)

I have had an Aquastar for about 3 years now. here's the new one I am planning to get for the new house;

http://www.tanklesswaterheaters.com/takagitk1.html

TOB9595

Enlightened

There are several models of electric tankless heaters available.
Can save you a goodly sum of $.
Ones I'm familiar with are sized for a capacity of ~ 4gpm and fire in stages. This is for efficiency. One shower, then washing machine, etc. Important to size it correctly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
It can save you a ton of $.
You need 200 amp service. It's sized for 240v. could be used on 208 but with dramatic reduction. A breeze to install.
YOU NEED the service for it. Tho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
This is the future technology today.
And pretty small footprint, I might add /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
If you had gas or PROPANE, I'd go with that before electric.
Don't poo poo propane. It's more efficient than electric and saves on the service install.
Tom
Tom

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

Takagi seems to be the Cadillac of Tankless gas water heaters for the home.

There are several electric versions but I don't know what the cost will be to go to 100 amp fuses and 8 gauge wiring for the 28kw unit that delivers 3 gpm at about 115-120 degrees in my area. I have a 220 volt setup now on my water heater. My wife fears gas so that's out. Right now I am leaning toward a $300 normal unit and then pursuing the tankless as a replacement or side by side in the next 6 months.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

...if your wife is afraid of gas in the house, you could mount it on the wall and build a little cabinet around it, that's what I'm doing. the TK-2 unit delivers over 240 gallons of water heated to 77 degrees over starting temp. per hour.. if you don't need that much flow, you could go to the cheaper TK-1 (around $950.) or the Aquastar for ($650.) The TK (Takagi) units needs a little electricity run the internal computers. The Aquastar needs no external electricity.
You should reconsider propane, a small tank goes a long way..and the gas delivery truck can refill it in a few seconds from long hoses -- if it's far from a driveway or road..

TOB9595

Enlightened

Whoa the Takagi 7 gpm for $1050. That is a sweet price.
It's a gas version that's how the higher gpm is derived.
Vented outside so no possibility of CO gassing the house.
I can't wait for my nat gas heater to leak /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

D

**DONOTDELETE**

TOB, no no, the Takagi 1 ($1,095 at that site..) is about 180 gallons per hour (a little over 3 gals. per minute) the TK 2 is 240 gph, (over 4 gpm) ...

Jason Burns

Newly Enlightened
Lowe's used to carry the Bosch in-line gas heaters. They had a "whole house" model that was about $500. They are about the size of a suitcase and we have sent some of them to missionaries abroad. None have had any problems. Not sure if your Lowe's carries them or not.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

AlphaTea

Enlightened
I have an AquaStar 125. Had it for about 6 years now.
Im very glad I bought it. Easy to install too. I know this doesnt help you much seeing how you want an electric model, but I would highly recommend a tankless to anyone who asked...

Latest posts