replace 40w with luxeon in fridge?

nerdtoy

Newly Enlightened
KuoH said:
I have nothing to add on the refrigerator lighting issue, but this comment was rather disheartening to read.

KuoH

Why so - its was issues to us from the Police Department - take the gasoline frmo where ever you can siphon it from. You have no idea what it was like.

But yes - we used a lot of different flashlights during that no electricity time frame and some got taped to guns, others were in pouches and so on. We kept lights all over the house and vehicle so we had one handy no matter where we were.

KuoH

Newly Enlightened
And this was the same PD that forcibly evicted people and then stole things out of their homes? It's true I don't know what it was like, but when even you yourself admitted that it was stealing, it becomes harder for others to take up the cause as just. I shudder to think what could've happened if you had accidentally tried to siphon gas in driveway of some diehard resident who happened to have been armed.

KuoH

nerdtoy said:
Why so - its was issues to us from the Police Department - take the gasoline frmo where ever you can siphon it from. You have no idea what it was like.

nerdtoy

Newly Enlightened
KuoH said:
And this was the same PD that forcibly evicted people and then stole things out of their homes? It's true I don't know what it was like, but when even you yourself admitted that it was stealing, it becomes harder for others to take up the cause as just. I shudder to think what could've happened if you had accidentally tried to siphon gas in driveway of some diehard resident who happened to have been armed.

KuoH

No it was not the same PD and that PD was also cleared. I had clear premission from every person I took gasoline from either by cell phone or previous to landfall. I also went from house to house once people came HOME and offered to fill their tanks for them and thanked them, however, they were so THANKFUL their homes were not looted because we were working the area that the gasoline was not even an issue. I am not getting into details of the PD or what exactly we did after Search and Rescue but rest assured, NOBODY looted anything in our neighborhood. I personally took 11 looters down and that does not count my Wife's takedowns. We were JUST outside the Orleans limits so it was not too bad where we were and the water went down VERY quickly, we worked with the US Military, local PD and DEA who thankfully backed me up on one bust I made.

I say stealing gas, permission or not, there were self imposed nuts roving around shooting at "looters" so we had to either fight them off or set them straight. Make no mistake, while I was siphoning I was 10 feet from my truck with red and blue strobes flashing. This be way off topic now. Email me if you want the gist of things.

nerdtoy

Newly Enlightened
We went off topic read my private message to you.

Like I said in that, I regret saying "stealing" but it was not, we had permission. Its the details of it you need to read in the PM.

Back on topic. You can have too many flashlights but I find that a nice collection makes for good use when you lose power for over a month.

I also stick by my electrical conservation issue with using LED's.

LEDs are not that efficient.

They're not going to be that useful in general lighting until they can surpass fluorescent in every way.

You can get a commercial grade fluorescent light fixture making 5,000 lumens using around 60W for $60 or so in volume and the lamp lasts 24,000 hours. About 5% lumen depreciation in 12,000 hours.

Beat that and maybe LEDs will catch on (i.e. even if the fixture can do 150 lumens, if each unit cost $1,500, then its a no go)

Last edited:

nerdtoy

Newly Enlightened
Talking about backup lighting for emergencies in homes. They work well in vehicles and provide lamp light for reading, counter lighting - why not backup lighting in the home. Its better then pitch black.

We have so many power failures here that I have tritium tubes glued all over the house over door ways and hallways. You can salvage really nice big tritium tubes from EXIT signs if you know how to shop for them. Home Depot uses them still, hospitals and even some schools use them. There are about 17 tubes in all in one sign and they are almost the diameter of a pencil, approx. 6-7mm or so.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a list of 100 things you can do to save energy, changing your fridge light to LEDs is probably number 450. You'll save more energy by turning off an unused light for 1 hour than you will from what an LED will save in the fridge over a month.

nerdtoy said:
Talking about backup lighting for emergencies in homes
They work well in vehicles and provide lamp light for reading, counter lighting - why not backup lighting in the home. Its better then pitch black.

but your main point was saving energy. They already have "emergency ballast" that can be installed into a fluorescent fixture next to the regular ballast and fluorescent offers much better efficiency in their normal operating state and provides about two hours of reduced output light.

Is there such thing as counter lighting that is comparable in output and efficiency to T5 fluorescent?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experiences with LED household bulbs. Most are from Superbrightleds.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=MR16&cart_id=4757132.2655

E27-24 narrow angle 10 degree
Beam too tight and purplish. Only lighs up 1/3 of my keyboard.

E27-24 wide angle
Wide 110 degree angle makes it too dim. High colour temperature.

E27-W48 (now W50)
Thick glass makes it very heavy. Spring arm lamps won't stay up. High colour temperature. Bright enough to read a newspaper in bed. One of 2 LED strings died after 1 year. (2-4 hours use/day)

E27-WLX1 luxeon 25 degree beam angle. 25-30 lumens.
Warm white makes a good accent light. Slightly dim for reading with my poor eyesight.
Cool white is much brighter and very white. Won the luxeon lottery on that one. Using it in a goosneck lamp clamped to my headboard.

PAR20-x36 on the way. UL listing claimed. 25 degree beam angle.
Warm white 3500 degree 42 lumens.
Cool white 6500 degree 51 lumens.

Eliteled 1 watt warm white
http://www.eliteled.com/products/lightbulbs/e26baselightbulb.html
Using it as a hallway nitelite. Lights up the hallway but not the bathroom at the end.

The E27-24 I've given away Recepient going to use them in garage.
E27-48 thrown out. Continuing to run a torch with dead leds is one thing. With 115 volts 15 amps a bad household bulb can easily catch fire.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDninja said:
PAR20-x36 on the way. UL listing claimed. 25 degree beam angle.
Warm white 3500 degree 42 lumens.
Cool white 6500 degree 51 lumens.
Got them. Much nrighter than the 1 watt luxeons I have been using. Very even flood. The cool white is very close to the colour of my L1P (not the blue white of other 5mm LEDs). The warm white has a strong green tint to it.
UL sticker is on box, not the light. UL file# not supplied so I cannot find out if the light is approved for use in enclosed spaces (fixtures buried in the cieling or in industrial enclodures).