Reply from Zebralight over anodizing quality issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

romteb

Enlightened
I for one do not care much about the anodizing color, i'd rate #1 priority adressing the press fit design that (as has been documented) compromises water resistance by adopting the proven threads and o-ring design.

Enlightened
Having worked in the aerospace field for over 30 years, Zebra Light will regret the switch to Chinese manufactured aluminum stock.
LOL. Did ZL not use Chinese manufactured aluminum stock before they switched to American stock a short while ago?

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL. Did ZL not use Chinese manufactured aluminum stock before they switched to American stock a short while ago?

And then it became a hectic juggling of substitute findings and anodizning re-matching - to get as close as possible the natural anodizing color we usually have. While we are back to the American made bar stocks for the time being, the management finally gave in and agreed to start using Chinese bar stocks, at roughly half the price, as well as black color anodizing, also at substantial savings compared to the natural anodizing, in our future models.

Sounds to me that they were delayed in receiving American manufactured material and had to use some of the Chinese aluminum until they could get the ordered product from the USA.

As I posted earlier, hard anodizing is done in a very cold bath. Small burrs, nicks, or light racking contact will cause a burn mark or shadow/halo. Also it's very critical to monitor the current and voltage during the process as hard anodizing is attempting to build up from .002-.0025" of oxide growth to achieve the abrasion resistance.

Plating and finishing processes are critical. I've done quite a few vendor certification/qualifications over the years. The mentality I've witnessed in Chinese facilities is to follow the instructions while you're there and then go back to getting it done fast while not watched. Coating weight coupons usually are a dead give-away if they don't appear the same color as the part.

Without etching away the anodize coating or observing the defects listed by the OP, I'm using the experience gained thru the years of trouble shooting coating defects.

Kaboby

Newly Enlightened
"using Chinese bar stocks, at roughly half the price "

are we going to see half price zebralight or even 2/3 ?????
:eek:

Phry

Banned
"using Chinese bar stocks, at roughly half the price "

are we going to see half price zebralight or even 2/3 ?????
:eek:

No chance. Even if they did I still would not buy one. Next, they will be using tail switches and 3 mode drivers.

Why give up one of your USP of your products?

Zebralight really have went to hell recently. No stock, more promised models that never materialise and now talk of lowering quality, losing their unique colour.

Such a shame.

LGT

Enlightened
I recently received my new Zebralight H600 mkii headlamp from ledfiretorches.co.uk and although the light itself worked fine I was less than impressed with the quality/finish of the anodizing.

It was patchy, thin and sticky/tacky to the touch all over like it hadn't cured properly or was still wet?! I contacted Zebralight's customer service dept via email with my issues and they replied quite promptly, here's what they had to say.

Department: Customer Service

Subject: H600 mkii cool white quality

Sorry to hear that you are not happy with the H600.

Ever since we started making headlamps and flashlights, the owners of ZebraLight, being Americans, insisted on sourcing American made components/materials whenever possible. All aluminum bar stocks we use have to be shipped from Kalamazoo Michigan to a port in California, a port in China and then to the factory. We've been fine with this arrangement most of the time until recently when two shipment of bar stocks got delayed for more than one and half months. And then it became a hectic juggling of substitute findings and anodizning re-matching - to get as close as possible the natural anodizing color we usually have. While we are back to the American made bar stocks for the time being, the management finally gave in and agreed to start using Chinese bar stocks, at roughly half the price, as well as black color anodizing, also at substantial savings compared to the natural anodizing, in our future models. Some other components, such as the lens on the H600/SC52, will also be switched to Chinese suppliers. Hard choices to make, but that's what we have to deal with especially with more and more low cost rip-offs of our headlamp designs popping up recently.

As to your H600, don't worry about anodizing quality of the replacement, it'll be fine - from what I've been told by our coworkers in China and what I've seen in recent shipment recieved here in Irving Texas.

Sincerely,

ZebraLight, Inc.
2908 Story Rd. W
Irving, TX 75038
I don't think you're supposed to make a private email sent to you from ZL public information.

Phry

Banned
I don't think you're supposed to make a private email sent to you from ZL public information.

You're not. Aren't we all glad he did though?

Either way he could have just given us the gist, makes no difference now.

Phry

Banned
No. I really think a breach of confidentiality is wrong.

Unless you know something that I do not there is no reason to think that the op offered or even suggested that there would be any confidentiality, or that Zebralight requested it.

I'm sure if Zebralight did not want the public knowing these details then they would not spell them out to random customers in e-mails.

LGT

Enlightened
12. Reposting Private CommunicationsIt is not appropriate for any member of CandlePowerForums to post and/or quote in the open forums any part of a private communication that is authored by someone other than themselves. This includes, but is not limited to, emails and private messages.

pageyjim

Enlightened
12. Reposting Private CommunicationsIt is not appropriate for any member of CandlePowerForums to post and/or quote in the open forums any part of a private communication that is authored by someone other than themselves. This includes, but is not limited to, emails and private messages.

Would't you be as "guilty" for copying and reposting it? Just sayin.

Last edited:

Phry

Banned

I know. I said it was not allowed in my first reply.

No one is arguing with you about that cpf rule, relax.

But it's done now, in the public domain and backed up.

I wonder if Zebralight are going to come in here?

Do Zebralight ever post on here anymore?

markr6

Flashaholic
So BLACK Zebralights coming soon? I think those will look pretty slick!

Lord Muzzy

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight did not request any confidentiality throughout our correspondence and as Phry observes 'if Zebralight did not want the public knowing these details then they would not spell them out to random customers in e-mails.'

I feel strongly that this information is of great interest to CPF members, namely customers and potential customers of Zebralight who now armed with the facts can decide where they want to spend their hard earned cash. Also as mentioned earlier in this thread, half price bar stock, substantial savings on anodizing... Will these savings be passed on to their customers? I doubt it! It seems that recently customers are well down on ZL's priority list.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight did not request any confidentiality throughout our correspondence and as Phry observes 'if Zebralight did not want the public knowing these details then they would not spell them out to random customers in e-mails.'

I feel strongly that this information is of great interest to CPF members, namely customers and potential customers of Zebralight who now armed with the facts can decide where they want to spend their hard earned cash. Also as mentioned earlier in this thread, half price bar stock, substantial savings on anodizing... Will these savings be passed on to their customers? I doubt it! It seems that recently customers are well down on ZL's priority list.

I'm ok with Zebralight not passing the savings on to the consumer. Their flashlights have a unique UI and nice form factor. They are in the price range of similar lights from other manufacturers such as Sunwayman.

I'd be happy if they took the savings and used it to invest in additional manufacturing so they could come out with new models faster.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm ok with Zebralight not passing the savings on to the consumer. Their flashlights have a unique UI and nice form factor. They are in the price range of similar lights from other manufacturers such as Sunwayman.

I'd be happy if they took the savings and used it to invest in additional manufacturing so they could come out with new models faster.

Same here:
It is wonderful that ZL would relate this information instead of being tightlipped. As competitive the flashlight market is, you can bet ZL will be doing what they can, pushing the envelope in brightness and small size. At least that is the hope.

Regarding PM's: ZebraLight is not an individual. They are a company doing business, selling product. PM confidentiality does not apply, unless they requested.

Etsu

Enlightened
Same here:
It is wonderful that ZL would relate this information instead of being tightlipped. As competitive the flashlight market is, you can bet ZL will be doing what they can, pushing the envelope in brightness and small size. At least that is the hope.

It sounded more like a frustrated employee venting confidential information to a customer. I suspect they'll get a talking to, from their boss.

As for them passing on savings... it's a business! They'll charge as much as they can. I'm okay with that. If I think the price is too high, I simply won't buy.

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
Just got my Sc600w MkII L2 from Brightguy. Must be older stock because the anodizing is the darker greenish version and it's pretty flawless. I mean it's no LiteFlux ano, and the tailcap is slightly darker than the rest of the light, but besides that there's no weird patterns or anything. Very smooth and consistent all over. However more importantly the clip is slightly too wide for the groove and scrapes off anodizing when you put it on :mecry:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounded more like a frustrated employee venting confidential information to a customer. I suspect they'll get a talking to, from their boss.

As for them passing on savings... it's a business! They'll charge as much as they can. I'm okay with that. If I think the price is too high, I simply won't buy.

Once again, Etsu comes up with an alternative perspective that just might be more accurate. One can only hope that ZL will see the advantages of communicating with the faithful (even if we're sometimes scorned, yet still relatively faithful).

Minor imperfections aside, this SC62d is just so pleasing to use, night after night. And how many times have we heard appreciation for their headlamps, and the mighty SC600, and the compact, versatile SC52.

...maybe like the high-maintenance trophy wife, who can really fire it up when the lights are dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.