Require: 1 flashlight for home/emergency, and 1 for pocket/briefcase

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need to echo (since I haven't figured out "quote" yet). Aeon (CR2) / Nautilus (CR123) / Draco.

Pocket carry

Too small for pocket - keychain - Draco is on my keychain, size of a AA battery - been on their for 2-3 months, takes small li-ion rechargeable, I measured voltage today and still at 4 volts. Bright & two levels. Tritium vial in tailcap, makes it easy to find.

Aeon - CR2 light (camera battery slightly shorter than cr123), fantastic, very well made, impressive design. Used one for 2 hours in a pulp & paper mill last week.

Nautilus CR123 light - by same designer as Aeon (earlier than aeon). Read on his blog last week as to specifically made to drain cr123s to the end... I had to break down and buy this in titanium as I knew this would be a long term keeper.

Search for "Endeavour" as thread starter for the Aeon & Nautilus - that is Enrique who designed these. He is also getting a new titanium AAA light out - the Mako (see thread below) - long run time with a low and "medium" brightness.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/215004

Enrique is great, responds well and seems to be well respected on CPF, as many others are.

None of these lights are inexpensive, but all are very small to small and multilevel

For savings watch the Buy / Sell / Trade - but I caution you, beware of the Custom Buy/Sell/Trade, the slope is very slippery there!!

Neale

dclawyer

Newly Enlightened
I have received a warm welcome here and many helpful suggestions. I would like share how I got here.

I've been trying to learn to pack lighter when I travel. A fellow named Doug Dyment has a very popular web site called Onebag. Doug explains how to pack light, recommends bags and other travel related stuff including flashlights. Doug recommends the Fenix L2D CE and the ARC AAA. I ordered the Fenix and it is so much better than anything I had ever seen before I realized the stores just don't offer quality and that led me here. I also ordered the ARC AAA and frankly was disappointed because it would not consistently turn on. I've returned it for a refund. I really value reliability.

My new Surefire E2D LED feels great in my hand and seems like it is in another league (and price) compared with the Fenix. I also prefer US-made products.

So here I am learning and spending my money :) and enjoying the camaraderie here.

Thanks so much.

C4LED

Enlightened
I have received a warm welcome here and many helpful suggestions. I would like share how I got here.

I've been trying to learn to pack lighter when I travel. A fellow named Doug Dyment has a very popular web site called Onebag. Doug explains how to pack light, recommends bags and other travel related stuff including flashlights. Doug recommends the Fenix L2D CE and the ARC AAA. I ordered the Fenix and it is so much better than anything I had ever seen before I realized the stores just don't offer quality and that led me here. I also ordered the ARC AAA and frankly was disappointed because it would not consistently turn on. I've returned it for a refund. I really value reliability.

My new Surefire E2D LED feels great in my hand and seems like it is in another league (and price) compared with the Fenix. I also prefer US-made products.

So here I am learning and spending my money :) and enjoying the camaraderie here.

Thanks so much.

Try the Fenix E01 instead of the Arc AAA - it's an AAA also and is similar, and costs about only $15. Good choice on the L2D, the L1T or L2T are good too.

Xak

Enlightened
For home use I would suggest a rechargeable light. The Inova T4MP is perfect and is made in USA. You simply leave it in it's cradle and it ALWAYS has a full charge. It has decent throw, nice spill, and has a low mode that will last all night. I love mine.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/t4.html

dclawyer

Newly Enlightened
For home use I would suggest a rechargeable light. The Inova T4MP is perfect and is made in USA. You simply leave it in it's cradle and it ALWAYS has a full charge. It has decent throw, nice spill, and has a low mode that will last all night. I love mine.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/t4.html

How long do the rechargeable batteries last? I've had bad luck with rechargeable batteries in the past.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long do the rechargeable batteries last? I've had bad luck with rechargeable batteries in the past.

Just a guess, but were they high capacity NiMH batteries? The 2500+ mAh AAs max out the capacity in the cells to pack in more power. The result is a cell that is delicate and doesn't last long. Try Eneloops in your L2D and you won't have these problems.

For Lithium Ions, avoid lights that take an expensive special battery and special charger. There are good lights available online that use 18650 cells that pack the most power at the cheapest price. The best protected cells go for about $13 (AW cells for example). A Fenix TK11 R2 goes for $80 and with 240 lumens on high will outpower any Surefire light of similar size. Build quality is excellent as well. An Inova T4 costs around $130 and it costs more if you want extra runtime from a second battery. The TK11 can use both lithium ion 18650 cells and lithium 123As so you have a backup power option in case you need more runtime or the rechargeable battery fails. Lithium ions should not be trickle charged. It ruins the batteries. It's best to have a couple 18650 cells and rotate them when one gets low on power instead of having one battery being topped off constantly on a cradle charger.

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened
Ooh ooh, another flashaholic joined the bright side of the world!:twothumbs

Have fun with your bright purchases m8!

Make sure you wont run out of money or els you will be left out in the dark!:candle:

I'll stop with the word jokes now :p

Latest posts