Review:Fenix TK32-2016: XP-L HI V3/XQ-E-color, 1000/165/105 lumens; beamshots/compare

kj75

Enlightened
Fenixlight has updated the TK32 to the 2016-version. This latest version got the XP-L HI V3 and powerful color LEDS too. Especially the colors are interesting: how do they perform? Can the white LED reach the same distance out of a smaller reflector? In this review I'll give you the answers to these questions; and I'll compare also the light to a competitor. Of course, I'll show you too how the improved color LEDS perform, also side-by-side to the first version of the TK32. So a really a lot of beamshots in this review. Let's have a closer look at the latest TK-member!

the update to the Fenix TK32, the TK32-2016
35k507l.jpg

about the same dimensions as the elder version
wunw2b.jpg

but three separate reflectors now, and powered by XP-L HI V3 and XQ-E LEDS
2hhlkq8.jpg

the tail is redesigned
dfzuhe.jpg

and a new accessory: the AER-03 remote control
244ust0.jpg

As usual, we'll start by looking at the manufacturer specs:

Features:

· Uses Cree XP-L HI V3 white light and XQ-E colored light LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
· Powered by one 18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery or two 3V CR123A Lithium batteries
· Compatible with AER-03 remote pressure switch
· Digitally regulated output maintains constant brightness
· Low-voltage warning reminds when battery replacement is needed
· Intelligent over-heat protection to avoid high temperature of the surface
· Dual tail switch controls the tactical activation and output selection
· Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
· Premium type
hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
· Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating

Dimensions:

· 159mm length
· 25.4mm body diameter
· 52mm head diameter (6.3"×1.0"×2.0")
· 175 grams (6.2 oz), excluding battery

And the output specs:
ztjgj5.jpg

Unboxing:

No surprise about the package to me here: the box in main black/orange/white is designed in Fenix-house-style. But it has some nice details too, for example the white, green and red sensible spots. Most specifications and features are mentioned, nice fact is that Fenix gives maximum distance and candela for all modes now. The package I got was ready-to go: it came including two CR123A's so I could start directly.. I was happy that the AER-03 remote control didn't arrive in a blister: I like the opportunity to restore my lights as neat as possible. So, both boxes are ok to me; please take a look at some pictures that show the packages!

neat cartons in Fenix house-style
2j32la8.jpg

the features and specifications mentioned on it
2b4qyu.jpg

easy to restore the light
14bhsth.jpg

what's inside: warranty card/leaflets, TK32-2016, spare O-ring, lanyard, holster and two CR123A's
efmd7n.jpg

Impressions:

For about two years, I reviewed the first version of the TK32. About build-quality and finishing, Fenix didn't have to improve; like all lights of this brand, the TK32-2016 is excellent built and feels long-lasting. The light is little heavy because of the ticker tube. The anodizing is well-done, the laser-engraving is improved and looks better than the elder version. At first sight, the light looks the same as the 2014-version, but taking a closer look shows multiple differences. Striking are the redesigned body that has better grip, less cooling-fins to the new version, a new reflector (and also the lack of a blue LED) and new tail-cap. Please scroll down (after reading..) to watch a lot of side-by-side pictures. I couldn't detect any chip or defect at the TK32-2016's finishing, the reflector is clean and the XP-L HI V3 LED is perfectly centered. The XQ-E color LED have their own positions in separate reflectors, but are well-centered too. What I don't like about the TK32-2016, that it easily rolls off the table, so I'll ask Fenix to give the next generation a better anti-rolling design. No tailstand to this light, and a renewed tail-cap, designed to control the TK32-2016 easier. During unscrewing the cap, the threads run smooth and without scratching, but they need (like most Fenix-lights) some grease. High-quality parts and finishing inside the light too: no solder or glue rests, it look all fine. So we can conclude the TK32 is (again) a high-quality product made by Fenix. I made also a lot of impression- and detail-pictures, so please have a look below..

The TK32-2016: Fenix-looks…
k4z15l.jpg

and feels!
2rmp1cw.jpg

a pocket-sized thrower
wmlc1x.jpg

only head-standing possible
oqbtcg.jpg

a mid-sized torch
35bcoc6.jpg

the TK32-2016 will easily roll off the table..
zv3ey8.jpg

huge throw at white mode
24fitsn.jpg

powerful red color mode
33ojtl0.jpg

and also impressive green!
10hpok5.jpg

excellent job an anodizing and finishing
xcvh50.jpg

each LED has its own reflector
2vanv2a.jpg

a close up at the power and mode button
21ozygh.jpg

the threads are well-machined, but need some grease
21ky16b.jpg

the thick, "double-layer" body
350ntaf.jpg

a look into the body
28her10.jpg

the TK32-2016 feels like a Fenix
2b5q8w.jpg

high quality and excellent finished
2190xuo.jpg

Fenix has improved the engraving, it looks better now to the elder version
1rw9s1.jpg

the main white XP-L HI V3 LED
10nat6x.jpg

and the secondary XQ-E color-LEDS
2ngzy1e.jpg

the XP-L HI V3 is well-centered
24grbte.jpg

with added-on lanyard
k4i6vq.jpg

you can carry a spare battery in the holster
esorox.jpg

side by side to the first TK32
1e2rdz.jpg

the TK32-2016 has better grip
30iups1.jpg

less cooling fins
kdr32f.jpg

the head diameter is equal
2n7pjkh.jpg

no blue for the TK32-2016 and each LED has its own reflector
ohla3s.jpg

the button at the tail on the TK32-2016 are easier to locate
2hqyttf.jpg

a new inner to the TK32-2016's tail-cap; also suited for a remote-controller
1z35jbs.jpg

the TK32-2016 in the forest
fmhxcx.jpg

one of the area's this light is meant for
2wbxqmb.jpg

this head reminds me to the "classic" TK70
2vv6jp5.jpg

User interface:

As shown in the impression-pictures, Fenix has redesigned the tube, and the TK32-2016 has better grip now. There's also a new tail-cap: the power button got a new structure and the mode button is also easier to locate. So, good improvements here. Although this light can't be hidden in your hand's palm, it is easy to carry and thanks to the rather big head it won't slip out of your hand.

The interface of this light is no-nonsense: Press the main switch for momentary-on, click for constant-on. Cycle through the white mode by using the mode button. Only last used white mode will be memorized. In standby-mode, press the mode button to enter red-high mode. By pressing again within 2 seconds, you can cycle through the color modes. If you wait longer than 2 seconds, the light will start again in red high. If needed, you can fix the chosen color mode by holding the mode-button and clicking the main switch at same time. This is a good improvement relative to the first TK32! But I would like to see that the light memorizes the last used color mode too… maybe in future..

I tested the TK32-2016 in combination with the AER-03 remote-control. Nice fact is that the controller allows you to operate silent, without clicks. The big buttons are easy recognizable in the dark because of the different shapes. A nice and recommended accessory in my opinion that can be used during cycling too.

Modes:

The TK32-2016 has total four white modes, in order of: LOW > MID > HIGH > TURBO. The spacing is good, but still I miss a real low. No instant white modes on this light. Strange is the lack of STROBE, this mode is a must for some users of light like this. The TK32-2016 has four color modes, in order of: RED HIGH > RED LOW > GREEN HIGH > GREEN LOW. Because the always starts at RED HIGH, we can call this an instant-mode. Neither a LOCK-OUT on this light, what is still a strange thing to me. If the light gets above 65 degrees on HIGH or TURBO, the light will downshift to a lower level. The will downshift to a lower level too if the voltage is low, if the cell is near to recharge the light will blink three times per five minutes.

Size comparison:

The TK32-2016 side-by-side to the first version, and shown also next to a direct competitor, the Nitecore MH27.

18650-cell, Nitecore MH27, Fenix TK32-2016 and Fenix TK32
2l8bwj4.jpg

Nitecore MH27, Fenix TK32-2016 and Fenix TK32
o9egwi.jpg

13z2xip.jpg

257zvwh.jpg

the heads: XP-L HI V3, XP-L HI / XQ-E color and XM-L2 U2 and RGB 100mW
2it4dcl.jpg

the tails: Nitecore MH27, Fenix TK32-2016 and Fenix TK32
rc0p6w.jpg

Tint:

The TK32-2016 has good coolwhite tint. The first version of the TK32 shows a bluish spill, the Nitecores' tint looks little greenish. Please check it at the picture below.

kvrwy.jpg

Beamprofile:

A "throwy" profile here: small and bright spot, a medium corona an large spill. Because the reflector is smaller than the first TK32, the light has a narrower beam. This is really an improvement: this beam won't blind your eyes at short distance and make it possible to view things further away. Because of the total three reflectors the white beam shows two "ears". Outside you can see this at shorter distance too, but this doesn't disturb. Same issue to the color LEDS, both have a "bit" in the reflector, so this is visible in the beam; there's a lobe in the beam, especially indoors. But for the rest both white and color beam are without defects or spots, and no PWM detected at any mode. Scroll down for the beamshots!

Beamshots:

Let's start this beamshot-session by projecting the TK32-2016 on a white wall. Starting with the white modes, followed by a GIF; after that the color modes (in order of LOW to HIGH this time), and also followed by a GIF-picture.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 1/200 sec, 35mm
11t3fqd.jpg

o8t4p5.jpg

25jytfk.jpg

2h6ydmb.jpg

GIF-picture
28mfscg.jpg

2j4znsh.jpg

qqvggl.jpg

k1td2r.jpg

24zx2z4.jpg

a GIF of the color modes:
24o0imq.jpg

Going outside now: First the four white modes shown in the forest here, followed by a GIF. After that a shoot-out against the Fenix TK32 XM-L2 U2, nice to see the difference in the beams here!

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4.0 sec, 35mm
adzqk4.jpg

2qsw13m.jpg

1t3m83.jpg

26261oo.jpg

a GIF-picture of the white modes:
25q7wxx.jpg

a comparison between the TK32's, both at Turbo-mode
sfi9n6.jpg

The color modes now, in order of LOW > HIGH this time. Later an animation of all color modes together. The pictures show the impressive color output of the TK32-2016!

The color modes:
afat1x.jpg

2ox9f.jpg

2r4k17s.jpg

10zmx41.jpg

GIF-picture:
8zh18h.jpg

A "throw-shot" here now with the Fenix TK32, the TK32-2016 and the Nitecore MH27. Surprising here to see how the TK32-2016 performs by using such a tiny reflector. Distance to the top of the tree about 100 meters away.

the TK32 against the TK32-2016 and the Nitecore MH27, all lights at Turbo:
24xf1nd.jpg

I went out another time and mounted the three lights on a bike to show you the output of the color modes. I went to a river this time, not completely dark here because of the industrial area, but however in my opinion a nice location. Starting with a GIF of all color modes of the TK32-2016, after the highest red and green mode compared to the TK32 and the Nitecore MH27. The distance across the river is about 210 meters.

the color modes of the TK32-2016
33f5ouf.jpg

When we compare the color output modes to each other, you can see the impressive red and green output of the TK32-2016 compared to the TK32 and the Nitecore MH27.

a comparison of the highest red mode
11ruaug.jpg

a comparison of the highest green mode
t0s2s9.jpg

Last picture… a throw shot of the three using white light. Nice to view here the difference between the wider XM-L2 U2 and the narrow XP-L HI V3-beams.

the three lights on white Turbo
2149nqs.jpg

Conclusion:

The updated TK32 is a big step forward, especially for the color modes. Fenix didn't have to improve that much about the build-quality and finished, because that was already very good. But the new version is easier to control and has better grip too. The new remote-control is a nice and well-operating accessory. Because the beam is narrower the light will reach (for human eye also) a farther away distance, good point. In contrast to the first version the color modes are usable now thanks to the impressive output.

What I wish on this light? A better anti-rolling design, a lock-out mode and I would like to see the blue color option back.

But I'm sure this pocket-thrower is one of the best multicolor lights there is!

Special thanks to Fenixlight and KATO for providing the TK32-2016!

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
outstanding review kj75!! Ive had the original TK32 since it came out, the MH27 since it came out and now the 2016 TK32 since it came out.
All 3 lights are outstanding mid sized throwers. When it comes to the colored LEDs the 2016 blows the other two lights away. Ive never seen such a bright red and green LED beam as comes out of the 2016 TK32. Not only that they are actually focused. No train wreck of a beam profile like out of the 27 and older 32 and especially the SRT7. I believe the MH27 throws the furthest but not by much. I still love my original TK32 for its XML2 big beam profile and use it as a 40k CD gauge to eyeball the throw of other lights against. Fenix really pulled off some magic with the 2016 TK32's tri-flector as it all works. The main beam is very bright and well defined despite the two little humps around the outer spill beam from the two secondary reflectors. The secondary reflectors give high output red and green beams that are actually focused. So for once Fenix really put in some good work on the design.

The new tail switch is awesome I can actually work them by feel in the dark. The fact that there is a pressure switch for the light knocks it out of the park this light like the TK32 before it is designed to be attached to a long gun. I have the original TK32 bolted to my Mossberg 12 gauge shotgun. This new light is currently the best multi color light on the market. Having a high and low output for both the red and green is a huge plus. My 2016 TK32 also came with the nicest Fenix holster Ive ever seen.

Capolini

Banned
Thanks for the comprehensive review!

It looks like the old version has more peripheral light[Flood] on Turbo than the new version.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the old 32 100% has a wider profile and fatter XML2 hot spot. Am still amazed at how Fenix pulled off a great long range beam on top of the astonishing red and green beams

Latest posts