[Review] Manker T01 EDC Prerelease Sample **Updated 20150925**

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
EDIT: Attacking? Getting all personal? Really?
Nice attitude and nice manners and so defensive omfg :thumbsup:

Nice baiting posts you are putting out there. No more such remarks. Would be good if you would read CPF Rule 4. Actually, it looks like you were trolling just to disrupt this thread.

JohnnyMac, it would be good if you, in the future, ignore baiting comments. Report such posts, and a mod or administrator will get involved.

Bill

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
The throw on this one is quite good.. However the UI and huge head size are not. For EDC use this one will not be a good pocket carry for most due to the large head size. The mode operation in this sample isn't intuitive and there are no shortcuts to low, medium or high from off which I also dislike. Overall looks like a quality light but I'm afraid it's not a good size for EDC use for me due to the extra bulk and UI.

I'm also not a fan of the seemingly carbon copy design of this light to the Zebralight SC5. From the max output level to the fins on the head, recessed side clicky. Only difference is the bulkier head for the extra throw and 14500 compatibility. I'd rather a company be more original in their designs and features instead of copy someone else who is successful.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not a ZL guy, but I think this looks better.
Can't be any worse to edc then a MH20 which it also looks like.
It has more CD then either.
Presentation is about as bad as it can get, the product needs more hands on feedback.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. To hand out 10 review samples to CPF members with the expectation of 10 reviews would be far, far, far better and more positive marketing than what's been going on elsewhere with this product.

When is Selfbuilt getting his free Manker T01? I really would like to hear what he has to say.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
My point isn't whether or not it looks better.. The main point is I don't like it when a company makes such a blatant ripoff of another as this one clearly incorporated almost all of the designs of the Zebralight. I will not support a company who does this. I can see taking a few features and implementing them but blatantly copying another light almost to a carbon copy (main difference is the larger head that's it) is not acceptable imo.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
bff43e7c6146de41dd4804d993a7df57.jpg

Similar sure.
But... Idk, seems different enough to me.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, yeah that is quite the rip-off of the Zebralights. No wonder why the spamming in the other threads were comparing it to the Zebralight SC5.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, apples and oranges. The T01 has a gigantic head and sorta looks like it breaks pocketability. Is the head even larger than say a ZL SC600?

Simply parroting specs and design styling doesn't make a winning product. Does it feel good in the hand and pocket?

BTW, the pocket clip looks junky, IMHO.

The main question to me: Has the T01 already been defeated by the existing SC600 series?

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys think this is only a copy in spirit,
In other words, this light will fail after a drop or two?

That'd suck.
Like old incandescent Xmas bulbs, tap once to make them brighter, tap again to kill it.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Thank you for taking the time to do a review. This light has many positives and I am always looking for pocket throwers that are actually comfortable in ones pocket.

The UI would not interest me personally but you have said the final production light will be different so we'll see.

My input is that any light with electronic switch should allow instant access to 3 modes preferably programmable by user like long press for turbo, short press for medium, double click for low. Obviously shouldn't copy ZL so my suggestion would be to just call these modes 1, 2, and 3 and let user program which output with which initial type of click (s). This would be better than the ZL ui which requires the highest output on a quick click and the lowest output on a long click. Personally, I would want to set the quick click to whichever mode I personally use the most. Personally, I hate mode memory based on last used mode because I never remember which mode I used last. With an electronic switch I do not wish to have to scroll through each mode to get the one I like. I want to know what output I will get before I click on.

The above is just my suggestion and not meant to be a criticism of Manker nor the reviewer.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Obviously shouldn't copy ZL so my suggestion would be to just call these modes 1, 2, and 3 and let user program which output with which initial type of click (s).
A neutral method used by several makers is to call the modes a percentage. 1%-25%-50%-75%-100%, for example.

There is no need to copy anyone. I agree that 100% programability would be a good thing.

Thats an old Zebralight from 3-4 years ago. The original comparison by some was to the SC5 light. Check out the link here and notice the similarities. The only real difference is the large head size, everything else is pretty much the same. Even the claimed output on an Eneloop is identical (500 lumens). http://www.zebralight.com/SC5w-AA-Fl...-OP_p_169.html
I noticed that too and wonder what a lightbox says. I'm interested in this light, but wonder if it's basically an Ultrafire knockoff of Zebralight? That's not really something for a maker to be proud of, IMHO.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
plus years of zebralight REFINEMENTS that have made them the best EDC lights right now
Excellent point, ZL had some growing pains but I think they're slick and polished now. Anyone have any info on quirks of this light? Not much more to talk about until the production model gets a CPF review, I think.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
When is Selfbuilt getting his free Manker T01? I really would like to hear what he has to say.

+ 1

I would like to see full graphs too, of all brightness levels, did i understand correctly there are 12 different levels?
selfbuilt has a broad collection of competitive lights, i also appreciate UPz reviews runtime graphs because his lumens scale matches 100% the Fenix lights.

Any of the two would do the trick.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Zebralights. I have several of them. That said, mine have had a large number of problems. Possibly, because I tend to preorder them so I get the first release with all its teething problems.

SC52w - overall works fine, except on 14500 turbo doesn't last anywhere close to 1 minute except on a completely full cell. If the cell is even slightly depleted turbo may only last 2 or 3 seconds.
SC600 - defective switch. Returned for warranty repair. Problem fixed.
SC80 - defective driver. Low and medium modes work fine. Turbo works fine. H2 doesn't work at all. Attempting to switch to H2 causes the light to briefly blink then turn off.
SC62w - defective contact between driver and body tube. Initially light worked great, but within 3 days the light wouldn't switch to turbo or even medium. Returned for warranty repair. Now works, but like the SC52w it won't reliably stay in turbo on anything other than a completely full cell.
SC5w - worked great for about a month. However, brightness has greatly diminished. All modes still work... just much dimmer than they should be. My guess is 20 lumens on turbo with a fresh cell. Haven't gotten around to returning this one for warranty repair yet.
SC32 - same issue as SC52w. I'm not sure this is even a defect. It might just be Zebralight's programming design choice. But I do find it annoying. I want to be able to run in turbo mode on a lithium ion cell when I don't have a cell at 4.2 v installed.
SC62d - no functional problems. Works perfectly, though the anodizing is uneven.

I like Zebralights, but I'm not sure I'd trust any of mine for EDC carry. They seem to unreliable.

I only own one Manker, my BLF Special Edition A6 which I received last week. It looks and feels well-built, but it's too big for pocket EDC. I like the look of the T01, and that it's offering something new: big throw in a non-zoomie pocket light. I'm not sure I'll get one though. The UI isn't appealing to me, and the SC600-size head maybe too big for pocket EDC.

Last edited: