[Review] Manker T01 EDC Prerelease Sample **Updated 20150925**

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think people think this is a Zebralight copy because it has some distinctive Zebralight styling choices.

* electronic side switch on head
* heatsink fins on head
* natural anodizing.

I don't think there would have been nearly as many calls of the Manker being a clone if they'd anodized it black instead of neutral.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are probably right.
It looks detailed to me like the MH20.
Again, another similar look.
Though by numbers, this is killing them in performance of output on lions. That could be a wee part of it too.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think people think this is a Zebralight copy because it has some distinctive Zebralight styling choices.
* electronic side switch on head
* heatsink fins on head
* natural anodizing.
I don't think there would have been nearly as many calls of the Manker being a clone if they'd anodized it black instead of neutral.
I'm not going to get my skivvies in an uproar over that. 15 minutes at DX.com will reveal an ocean of that, I'm acclimated to it. It's just the way that particular market is.

They knock off and then knock off the knockoffs. SSDD. If you wanted something like a SF 2211 and didn't want to give 5 bills for it, that's what you do.

The only downside is that a knockoff has a reputation for being worse than the original. Whether or not this is the case remains to be seen.

This light may indeed exceed ZL under testing. That's why so many of us are screaming for review samples to be sent to the right people. It'd be the best move, IMHO.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks detailed to me like the MH20.
Again, another similar look.
Though by numbers, this is killing them in performance of output on lions. That could be a wee part of it too.
Or similar look of TX25C2 which i had reviewed on the other forum.
However how can we take MH20 and TX25C2, both 1x18650 lights, for comparison if this is a 1xAA light?
I like pocket rockets, my TX25C2 is a pocket rocket. So i am interested in learning how it compares on 1x14500 against MH20 or TX25C2.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't think it is a copy of ZL. Most new lights have side switches and fins. The UI as described is far inferior to ZL and makes no use of the capabilities of the electronic switch. It is a typical old fashioned clicky ui with memory. Again, my comment is about the ui described. Ihave no idea what the final ui will be.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or similar look of TX25C2 which i had reviewed on the other forum.
However how can we take MH20 and TX25C2, both 1x18650 lights, for comparison if this is a 1xAA light?
I like pocket rockets, my TX25C2 is a pocket rocket. So i am interested in learning how it compares on 1x14500 against MH20 or TX25C2.

I think I'm following you...my first reaction reading output on lions was shock! I'm so interested to see if this cranking out a fifth of sunlight on a AA lion.
I suppose though it's a copy of maybe something in works maybe by ZL, don't they have a 20k CD light coming out soon too to think of it?
Still ☺

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'm following you...my first reaction reading output on lions was shock! I'm so interested to see if this cranking out a fifth of sunlight on a AA lion.
I suppose though it's a copy of maybe something in works maybe by ZL, don't they have a 20k CD light coming out soon too to think of it?
Still ☺

Yep you're correct. We don't know the exact specs yet but the Zebralight upcoming is supposed to use this same emitter and it's been estimated at 15-20k CD. Release of this model should be late September or early October.

When is this Manker light supposed to be officially released? I'm curious what the final UI and results will be. Also I would like to see Selfbuilt review this as well.

Dubois

Enlightened
When is this Manker light supposed to be officially released? I'm curious what the final UI and results will be. Also I would like to see Selfbuilt review this as well.

I'm also confused about the release of this light. It is available on eBay.uk, so I assume that is the pre-release sample.

+1 for a Selfbuilt review.

JohnnyMac

Newly Enlightened
Maybe so, but the review becomes less useful if it simply repeats manufacturers data.

It does look like a very nice light though. When it becomes available from the usual suspects on a group buy or at a discount to the quoted $70 price, I will be very tempted.
Only one thing used that was provided by the manufacturer (well, two if you count the UI flow chart). It might be different if the runtime graph they provided was available to just anyone by going on their site but at this point it isn't. As I also stated when I posted it, the data in the graph does match the data I collected from the first 5 minutes of runtime. I'm currently working on a way to take good runtime tests without having to sit and babysit the lights for the duration. ;)

JohnnyMac

Newly Enlightened
I want to see a lightbox test.
20k CD☺
That's killer if true.
I did test it in an Integrating Sphere (generally better than a lightbox) and my stated output values are true. The only place where mine were less than what is stated for the production model (900 OTF lumens). I was told to expect 800 from my prerelease sample and I did see 899 OTF at turn on which dropped to 825 at the 30 second mark. Once I get the production version I will retest to see if it does the claimed 900 or not. Throw was tested at 3 meters and converted back to 1 meter and works out to 21.4kcd and that is with my sample's 825 OTF lumens. If the production version puts out more the throw should be even better. But this is just restating everything that is already in the review. ;)

JohnnyMac

Newly Enlightened
....then this thread is premature, then. :(
That is why it is a prerelease sample review. Quite common practice as it helps the manufacturer get feedback on any needed changes before committing to a whole production run. Things could very well change and frankly, if they do (things like slight UI changes for instant access to moon and high) then it would be for everyone's benefit wouldn't it? ;)

JohnnyMac

Newly Enlightened
I'm also confused about the release of this light. It is available on eBay.uk, so I assume that is the pre-release sample.

+1 for a Selfbuilt review.
No clue what's going on there. A friend of mine is pretty tight with the folks at Manker and if the production version was available he should be aware of it and he isn't. Another question to ask of them once I get a hold of them. :)

vēer

Newly Enlightened
But it says exactly that - PRERELEASE sample unit review, cant you see that?

For the rest, especially squirrel, complaining - I understand that you cant live without runtime graphs, but obviously asking for all reviews to be the same is what youre looking for, arent you? But coming to someones else review and then moaning how bad it is and how much you need SOMEONE ELSE to make a review that should satisfy you, well, you hit the new low folks, really... Makes all the rest of reviewers post here so much more after reading this... NOT!

As for light itself - if not for the natural anno, to which ZL doesnt own patent lol, it doesnt remind me of ZL too much, designs change and move forward, neither ZL's all of design elements are unique, nor any other lights, just like with cars, they evolve.

Last edited: