Review of / Measurement on ML-102 Charger

Aperture

Newly Enlightened
I tried a couple single 18650 USB chargers and this is by far the best I've tested, if only I've read your review a bit sooner it would have spared me from spending a lot of money lots of frustration with Chinese crap not performing as advertised.

With an Eagletac 3400mAh battery it can charge my iPhone 1,5 times and an EN-EL15 Nikon DSLR battery for 60% with the Pixo Li-Ion/NiMH USB charger.

It charges the iPhone 5 at 0.725A while the phone can handle 0.8A, charging will stop when the charge current goes below 0.2A which happens around 3.3V if memory serves me well. It charges the iPad Mini at a slightly higher current but not close to the 1A it can handle. With the Pixo charger it delivers 0.9A which is the max the charger can handle.

As these chargers are really cheap (fasttech sells them for $7,50) and they are a key item in my mobile hiking/travel powerkit I bought 4 of them just in case they go out of circulation :duh2:

Thanks for your detailed review, much appreciated.

tomrit

Newly Enlightened
so, is ml-102 capable to charge those 18650 with protected circuits?

KurtS

Newly Enlightened
I just got a ML-102 v3. Works fine, but I have protected Panasonic 3100's which are 69.5 mm long and are a tight fit into the charger. Tight enough that it is denting the bottom of the cells.
Just 4 screws to take it apart. I'll take off a couple of turns off the spring and maybe reduce the height of the positive connector. Should be enough.

Gallen1119

Newly Enlightened
Purchased a ML-102 based on this review and thread. Thanks for the great info. I have tried other, cheaper, chargers/battery backups. This is worth the slightly extra $. Well made, compact, reliable! I plan to take it backpacking and use as an emergency source for my phone. Already carry the 18650's for my flashlight and headlight. Great review.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just used mine on a backpacking trip & the mesh pocket on the back of my pack was filled with snow
while I was sliding down a high mtn pass.
The ML102 was covered in snow for a few hrs until I stopped to camp.

I dried it out & was happy to see that it worked fine the next day.

Still going strong!

I use unprotected 3400mah Panasonics in mine mostly.

I wish they made a fully enclosed version!!!!

Naguz

Newly Enlightened
It's really too bad this is apparently at revision 5, but still they haven't switched the mini usb port with micro usb yet. You'd think that would be the first improvement they made. If it needs anything but a micro usb cable, chances are I havenæt got the cable when I need it.

Are there any alternatives that are almost as small, has micro usb, are fully encased, and approved by HKJ?

bobstay

Newly Enlightened
I have some good news regarding MicroUSB! There's actually a place on the board for a MicroUSB socket in the r5 version of this charger, and I've successfully soldered one on.

I made a thread with pics and instructions here

(I also futzed the spring to fit protected cells, but I'm not completely happy with that...)

psytrancefreak

Newly Enlightened
ML-102 possible on solar panel ? voltage regulator required ?

hey, i'm planing a long bike trip and i want to charge some 18650 via solar panel. After some research i decided to take the ML-102.
do you think, its possible to charge 18650 in combination with this panel ? would i need a voltage regulator or is the ML 102 capable of the variating voltage out of the solar panel ?
thank you very much
daniel from germany

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used mine with a small Cottonpickers USB solar panel & it worked but charged pretty slowly.
It took a couple of days to charge an 18650 ;)

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a little workhorse this thing is - I lve charged 6 different 18650s from my bike lights off the 12v to USB in my van over the last couple of days.

Mine is the last version with the regular spring in it.
It's holding up well with lots of use and travel!

Just thought I'd post a long term update :)

RepProdigious

Enlightened
Recently ordered one of these, and i received the v6 version!
Search terms ML-102 v6 ML102-V6.0

Pics - Out of the box, double-plate butt spring and thick head nipple good for flattops;
CZtzL7k.jpg

Circuit board bottom side;
25Fxxgc.jpg

Circuit board top side
0M9o0TO.jpg

Flattops/unprotected cells no problems. Small protected cells fit ok-ish (AWs no real issue) but a bit tight for my liking. My 'WOW' battery (appropriately named largest 18650cell in the world) that i use for size-testing would not go in at all.

Hence; Plate buttspring replaced by coil;
gnXRC5J.jpg

Regular protected cells now fitted perfect, no more too tight for my liking. WOW still didnt go in.... hence the final mod;

Removal of the head nipple thingy (and thus taking away the ability to charge flattops);
Wzngq9f.jpg

And even my monster cell fits like a charm XD
7ulnm5D.jpg

derf26

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys - been using the V5 of this for over a year now and *really* happy with it. I use it to charge my phone, a steripen water purifier, and of course I use it with my flashlight.

I had a couple of questions. Does the V6 pictured above finally have the micro USB slot and will it take Nitecore's protected 18650's (3400 mAh) without modding?

And another question related to the V5 or later, which is - can I keep my 18650 inside it during storage and transportation? I use it for travel and it's kind of annoying having my 18650 banging around separately, but I'm worried that keeping it in the charger will somehow discharge it. Is this a concern?

Thanks for any help!

xzel87

Enlightened
Greetings HKJ, any chance of you reviewing the latest version of this charger?, it's at V7 now and many improvements made to it if I'm not mistaken. The only bad thing they did was removing the coil spring at the negative contact.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Greetings HKJ, any chance of you reviewing the latest version of this charger?, it's at V7 now and many improvements made to it if I'm not mistaken. The only bad thing they did was removing the coil spring at the negative contact.

Yes, what shop has the latest version?

xzel87

Enlightened
Yes, what shop has the latest version?

I made my purchase at Fasttech, SKU 1137904, price was USD5.96 IIRC, and they did clarify that they are shipping the V7 since a few months back if I'm not mistaken.

Mine haven't arrived yet since I ordered it with batteries so have to be sent via surface mail due to regulations.

Tempted to order one more though haha.

dansciurus

Newly Enlightened
I paired this charger with the Solar Panel with USB power output. Now I can get to charge 18650's even in the middle of nowhere. I'm ready for the zombie apocalypse! :)

Hey roadkill. I have been pulling teeth reading everything I can about solar charging lion cells. Just looking to charge 1 18650 at a time, 3400mah. Going to order a few of the newest versions of the ml-102's, but still stuck in the dirt on what solar array to buy. I know cottonpicker is the best choice, but looking for something a bit more budget friendly.(Broke)

What solar panel did you use with the ml102? Does it work as good as you hoped? Have you field tested it? How long does it take to charge a cell?
Thanks so much for any replies!

jaross

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the v8. Anyone know if it has over discharge protection for using the usb output?