Review: The BitZ, Excellent EDC Light (Updated)

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Review: The BitZ, Excellent EDC Light

so does it get really hot when on high for a while? say, hotter than a nautilus?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

:thinking: No problem, 3.27v at Hi mode. :D

That is a nice low vf Led there on high mode. If they are all like that then you are looking at some nice long runtimes on lower modes. Low vf is ideal for boost part of buck/boost.

Bill

tsl

Enlightened

Here is a picture for size comparison: (Click thumbnail for large image)

How do the high and low levels compare to the E1B? Also, does the BitZ have a more floody beam than the E1B? How well does its beam throw?

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast

How do the high and low levels compare to the E1B? Also, does the BitZ have a more floody beam than the E1B? How well does its beam throw?

Because of the different beam characteristics, The high and low levels between the 2 lights are hard for me to gage. Using my eyes and bouncing the light off a surface at close range to try to even the beam sizes, I would say the High and low appear pretty close. The Extra low on the BitZ is noticeably less bright and would be preferable to me for the low level in the main menu.

The E1B's beam is a narrow "cone of light" with little spill so it definitely out throws the BitZ but in my opinion, the Bitz does throw well for such a floody beam. The Bitz has the beam with the most even flood of any of my other lights (except my Zebralight) and is much easier on the eyes. The BitZ is much easier to use while working on something because the beam is spread out and less light is bounced back into your eyes. The E1B is more focused and can be hard on the eyes when working close up.

The Bitz beam is whiter than the E1B and by comparison the E1B looks almost purple.

Last edited:

tsl

Enlightened

Because of the different beam characteristics, The high and low levels between the 2 lights are hard for me to gage. Using my eyes and bouncing the light off a surface at close range to try to even the beam sizes, I would say the High and low appear pretty close. The Extra low on the BitZ is noticeably less bright and would be preferable to me for the low level in the main menu.

The E1B's beam is a narrow "cone of light" with little spill so it definitely out throws the BitZ but in my opinion, the Bitz does throw well for such a floody beam. The Bitz has the beam with the most even flood of any of my other lights (except my Zebralight) and is much easier on the eyes. The BitZ is much easier to use while working on something because the beam is spread out and less light is bounced back into your eyes. The E1B is more focused and can be hard on the eyes when working close up.

The Bitz beam is whiter than the E1B and by comparison the E1B looks almost purple.

Thanks! That's very helpful as I try to decide on a small multi-level EDC.

litetube

Enlightened

I broke down and ordered one. It looks like a great light. and I really need a small reliable pocket EDC.

I had a flash of panic last nite afterwards cause I realized I just plunked down a serious amount of dough on a basically unknown light/maker with no track record or maybe there is a previous product run? . But I keep going back to the pics and I get hooked again. it is a great looking light with the clip and bezel.

I would like to know also if it gets anything more than warm on high when left on its own tailstanding? It shouldnt at 500ma . That isnt really pushing things hard.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I want one, but im am going to go with the new Nitecore....:poof:

Crenshaw

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast

......I would like to know also if it gets anything more than warm on high when left on its own tailstanding? It shouldnt at 500ma . That isnt really pushing things hard.

I have had the BitZ running on high for no more than 10 - 15 minutes at a time. It warms quickly but has not been hot. The E1B gets warmer than the Bitz and the P1 will get hot when turned on about the same amount of time.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The BitZ, Excellent EDC Light

I don't see any McGizmo in this at all.
I do see a little Jil lite and a tiny bit of a yaesumofo Arc LS clicky sort of look (in the knurling)..

It looks like a nice original design. Not a cookie cutter clone like we are normally inundated with around here.
Well done.
Yaesumofo

Looks nice! but..more then a bit of influence by McGzimo's creation? and arc too...hmm that's probably why it looks nice..:D

but i dont see any indication of price?

Crenshaw

gloworm

Newly Enlightened

Can anyone give us a quick run-down on the operation of this light and how you get to the various levels?

dc

Newly Enlightened

I want one, but im am going to go with the new Nitecore....:poof:

Crenshaw

I like the new design CR123 nitecore too but at 92mm length & 26mm diameter, it's a tad too big for a 123 light. Anyway, u can't compare the mass produced Nitecore to the Bitz, which only have a production run of 200pcs according to HgRyu. Also, one is design for flood using a ssc while the other is using a cree which is inbetween so they do serve different purposes ;).

DC

mahasuri

Newly Enlightened

Can anyone give us a quick run-down on the operation of this light and how you get to the various levels?
Just twisty off-on gets next bright mod, Hlgh → Med → Low.. very simple.
8 times twisty on-off get hidden mod. Strobe, S.O.S. etc. And BitZ has NOT user program mod I know.

Supernam

Enlightened

Groupbuy please!!! But then again... perhaps they know that mostly CPF members are going to buy the light, therefore the price is already a groupbuy price. haha

It'd be great if Fenix-Store or Battery Junction could stock these.

litetube

Enlightened

HaHa Mahasuri:p

No I meant does the light turn on when you loosen or tighten the head. There are a cpl lights out there where the head is tightened down when off and you loosen to turn it on. I think that is a cool setup for EDC and was wondering if the Bitz was like that or more traditional in tightening turns it on. :twothumbs

tsl

Enlightened

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no momentary?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no momentary?

Momentary is sort of impossible with a twisty. The closest way would be to twist on and off quickly.

Bill

Last edited: