Revisiting Civictor V1D Special Edition Interest Thread...

Civictor V1 Special Edition

• Yes Definately

Votes: 79 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 13 14.1%

• Total voters

Sable

Enlightened
Re: Civictor V1 Special Edition Interest Thread...

I'm gonna throw my hat in for the "souped up LxT" idea. I'm a big fan of the "twist-for-level, click-for-on" thing. Twisties just ain't "mah thang."

sgtgeo

Newly Enlightened

I'd probably buy one just because I'm curious about the Cree emitter

flame2000

Enlightened

NutSAK said:
Definitely! See link below for a runtime charts of a L2P head running on 1AA:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/137256&highlight=l1p

On lithium and NiMH, I have to admit the runtime curve are rather flat, just like the Civictor. In fact most other 1xAA light will produce a rather flat curve.
But what about running 1xAA alkaline on a L2P head? Hope it's not something like this Civictor runtime curve. It's output drops drastically after 30min. :)

CivictorV1runtime.png

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm in. So long as it remains the same size. I EDC a V1 now. I'd love to have it with variable output. :thumbsup:

Anarchocap

Enlightened

I'm in. I've already actually stated I want something like this on the LOPSE threads.

I like twisties better than buttons for the sole reason of accidental battery discharge and emergency use.

To me its semantical about which actual brand of LED they use. My main goal is to get a 1-AA twisty with 3 brightness levels, and just like everyone else here said, LOW should be LOW.

Do I need a brighter than 30 or so lumens light in a 1-AA package? I think given the form factor, you are compromising too much usability with respect to run-time on HIGH. If you can't get at least an hour to 50% on HIGH, then it becomes a specialty light, not a common use light. For that, there are different form-factors you should be using.

Of course if Cree LEDs can provide 60 lumens and run to 50% after an hour, and they can do 4 lumens for 10 hours, I'm all for it. But I care more about constant brightness for specific times at multi-levels given the form factor than I care about anything else.

Fenix DID do the right thing with the LOPSE by making the light cycle medium -> low -> high. Should it be low -> medium -> high? I think you can make a case for both given the form factor, but certainly not high as the default.

I would suggest that you have a compeletely different objective with a multi-stage light vs. a single stage, and more thought should be put into those outputs based on the amount of stages being offered.

Low should be just low enough to navigate around in complete or relatively so darkness without worrying about stepping on something or IN something. Low isn't about being able to see exact details, just that something is actually there! This is especially true when you already have medium and high levels to switch to if you need it.

Honestly, with respect to the LOPSE, I would have rather seen an E0 sized light that has two stages given the AAA form factor. I think a 2 - 3 lumen low and a 10 - 12 lumen high would have been a very nice compromise. Then you let the Civictor AA form factor handle the lux like lights at 3 levels.

Of course, my eye is towards practicality and run-time efficiency with respect to the lights that I own. Something that burns as hot as the sun for 10 minutes that's the size of a quarter still wouldn't cut it for some of the people on this forum. I'm just not in that group.

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast

jar3ds said:
i'd be interested... wish it was Ti or SS though :(

I could go for one of those.

Kryosphinx

Enlightened

Another problem lies with the reflector/optics. Cree XR-E's don't work well with reflectors and most people don't like the beam from optics.

Calina

Enlightened

I couldn't agree more.

Three levels is great. Forget about very high lumens, there are other lights for this. I care more for long run time and good regulation than for very high output.

Please don't forget that as people get older they need more light than they used to, about 50% I'd say. Low at 1 Lumen might be a bit too low for my failing eyesight.

Anarchocap said:
I'm in. I've already actually stated I want something like this on the LOPSE threads.

I like twisties better than buttons for the sole reason of accidental battery discharge and emergency use.

To me its semantical about which actual brand of LED they use. My main goal is to get a 1-AA twisty with 3 brightness levels, and just like everyone else here said, LOW should be LOW.

Do I need a brighter than 30 or so lumens light in a 1-AA package? I think given the form factor, you are compromising too much usability with respect to run-time on HIGH. If you can't get at least an hour to 50% on HIGH, then it becomes a specialty light, not a common use light. For that, there are different form-factors you should be using.

Of course if Cree LEDs can provide 60 lumens and run to 50% after an hour, and they can do 4 lumens for 10 hours, I'm all for it. But I care more about constant brightness for specific times at multi-levels given the form factor than I care about anything else.

Fenix DID do the right thing with the LOPSE by making the light cycle medium -> low -> high. Should it be low -> medium -> high? I think you can make a case for both given the form factor, but certainly not high as the default.

I would suggest that you have a compeletely different objective with a multi-stage light vs. a single stage, and more thought should be put into those outputs based on the amount of stages being offered.

Low should be just low enough to navigate around in complete or relatively so darkness without worrying about stepping on something or IN something. Low isn't about being able to see exact details, just that something is actually there! This is especially true when you already have medium and high levels to switch to if you need it.

Honestly, with respect to the LOPSE, I would have rather seen an E0 sized light that has two stages given the AAA form factor. I think a 2 - 3 lumen low and a 10 - 12 lumen high would have been a very nice compromise. Then you let the Civictor AA form factor handle the lux like lights at 3 levels.

Of course, my eye is towards practicality and run-time efficiency with respect to the lights that I own. Something that burns as hot as the sun for 10 minutes that's the size of a quarter still wouldn't cut it for some of the people on this forum. I'm just not in that group.

Last edited:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

flame2000 said:
On lithium and NiMH, I have to admit the runtime curve are rather flat, just like the Civictor. In fact most other 1xAA light will produce a rather flat curve.
But what about running 1xAA alkaline on a L2P head? Hope it's not something like this Civictor runtime curve. It's output drops drastically after 30min. :)

CivictorV1runtime.png

that's exactly the reason for having L2P Circuit and not L1/V1 Circuit. The output does NOT drop that way, the L2P circuit regulates nicely on 1AA Alkaline too.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

the advantage of having L2P Circuit is you can put 3.7 Rechargable. Also by selecting Civictor form factor, the posibility of having different battery tubes like 1AA, 2AA, CR2, CR123 is relatively easy.

CR2 Version will be the smallest and brightest, 2AA version would be long lasting.

I thought of P1 form factor, but I like Civictor much more, for it has strong body and very nicely built.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unlikely at this time.

AA size
Turbo - L1T
Standard - L1S
Cheap - Civictor

AAA size
Turbo - L0P-SE
Standard - E1
Cheap - E0

123A size
Turbo -???
Standard - P1
Cheap - ???

I think Fenix will work on the 123A size next. TooMany Gizmos got the P1-SE thread out before this one.
Also if they improve the 1AA lights, I think Fenix witt start with the premiun L1T rather than the cheapie Civictor. I like my Civictor. So do many others. Notice the howls of protest when Quickbeam lowered the rating of the Civictor in his new rating system.

I took a look at the Cree spec sheets. In the spectrograph the blue peak is much higher than the yellow/red peak. The tint will probably be closer to the average 5mm LED than a nice xWOx bin Luxeon. Brighter but bluer.

I did not include the L0P in the lists above as I think Fenix will discontinue them once stock in the warehouse runs out. They have already discontinued the L1P/L2P.
Fenix will NOT repeat the mistake of clearing the L0P out via Countrycomm.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast

LEDninja said:
I did not include the L0P in the lists above as I think Fenix will discontinue them once stock in the warehouse runs out. They have already discontinued the L1P/L2P.
Fenix will NOT repeat the mistake of clearing the L0P out via Countrycomm.

Well one mistake they are repeating is getting people to spend 30-40 bucks on a light and people getting about a year's use out of them and running into problems with little left than hoping 4sevens is kind enough to have some spare parts hanging around as they discontinue the model. The L1P just came out in Nov of 2005, correct?

Other Fenix owners who don't know of this forum or that 4sevens even exists gets left in the dark. 'Sorry about your luck' approach.

I think if anything Fenix should support their lights like Microsoft does Windows software - product support for at least a few years on the older stuff.

I know people like to change lights with all the technologies coming forth but 11 months usage for a 30-40 dollar light isn't too cost effective.

Hell, there's cheaper incan maglites that have been running for a couple decades out there still, I just played with a 15 year old one the other night.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like Fenix L2P very much .. but too bad... it's discontinued...

Good thing is, it gives scope for new & improved models to come up. LED's are getting outdated every 8 - 12 months... ... today we have 80 Lumen @ 350 mA Cree... a few days back LumiLED's were touting their highest efficiency Luxeon, still a dissappointment....

Fenix has come up great by experimenting with Nichia's and hopefully they will come up with Cree XR-E based LED flashlight sooner than anyone else does..

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now I feel that... There sure will be a Cree XR-E based Civictor :)

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lit Up said:
I know people like to change lights with all the technologies coming forth but 11 months usage for a 30-40 dollar light isn't too cost effective.

I see the point you're making about support, but where are you getting the impression that people are having problems with Fenix products after 11-12 months of usage?

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Casual Flashlight User said:
I'd buy one...don't actually need one...but I'd buy one all the same.
smile.gif

CFU
Ditto!:naughty:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Masses are gonna love a CREE XR-E Based AA Light... only thing is... when is this gonna happen....

Latest posts