RIP The Students, Teachers and Adults Killed in CT School

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffemt6263

Enlightened
I as well cannot comprehend the events of today. Its the most horrific thing ive heard and hopefully the worst i will ever hear in my life. I have become hardened to shootings and seeing shooting victims where i work as most of my coworkers have unfortunately and this still is heart stopping to me. I work as a paramedic in CT close to where this happened. My absolute deepest sympathy and condolences go out to the families and friends. I do want to touch on a subject another member mentioned. As ems professionals we are expected to do our job and go on the next day and do it again, but there are some things i call career enders. For the amazing police officers who went into that building today and cleared it this is a life changing and possibly career ending event. There was was also a fellow paramedic that works with the company i do that had to go inside and decide these children were unable to benefit from any medical care. This person is exactly that, a person. Im by no means a religious person but my prayers and thoughts go out to these first responders just as much as the families affected because what they had to do and comprehend today is beyond what the human brain is capable of in most cases.

Once again, my deepest sympathy goes out to everyone affected today and right now is the time to go look at our children and loved ones and tell them we love them and take a moment to appreciate who these people are and how lucky we all are.

Thank you Greta for leaving this open. I wish everyone the best and encourage everyone to take a step back from our daily lives to appreciate the blessings we have.

Mike

Greta

Flashaholic
... As ems professionals we are expected to do our job and go on the next day and do it again, but there are some things i call career enders. For the amazing police officers who went into that building today and cleared it this is a life changing and possibly career ending event. ...

Mike

Mike... I know this all too well. My husband was medically retired from our local PD earlier this year due to an event here in our town that was just that last heinous straw. He was our department's only crime scene investigator for 10 years and patrol for 7 years prior. Only 3 years to go for regular retirement... but then there was one particular senseless event and... as you said, life changing/career ending. I cannot even begin to imagine what those officers and other first responders saw yesterday in CT and now have in their heads for the rest of their lives. Yes... God, or whatever Powers That Be, bless them. As I said earlier... this stuff affects us all. One way or another. My heart goes out to everyone.

naiter

Newly Enlightened
This makes me ill... I try to not think about it cuz it is just too much to handle. Absolute Horror for anyone connected to it.
I wish everyone the best and encourage everyone to take a step back from our daily lives to appreciate the blessings we have.
Good advise.

Ragnar66

Enlightened
As a cop......... I can't imagine trudging through that all the while knowing that your pain doesn't even compare to the victims families. I've had a few things stick with me over the years and I've seen so many things............... but I just cannot imagine that scene. It just seems like too much. Something so wrong its literally stunning.

Special thoughts to the brave teachers that went out towards the gunfire to bring children to safety. True heros.

And on another note......I appreciate this thread being left open. The underground one was less than what It was meant to be.

Last edited:

OCD

Enlightened
... but there are some things i call career enders. For the amazing police officers who went into that building today and cleared it this is a life changing and possibly career ending event...

This is exactly what I told my wife before I posted about this, and part of the reason why I did.

A HUGE thanks to all of you courageous first responders who will hopefully never have to deal with a tragic situation such as this. And for those that already have....words are not enough...just..........not............enough......

Ragnar66

Enlightened
Nice to hear my fellow cops did a good job, but again, I have been on this since it started and the teachers committed some truly heroic acts. Pulling kids away from the path of bullets. Going out to get kids.....and not making it back.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
As an outsider to the law enforcement and EMT community, this is a humbling lesson for me in terms of what you go through during the course of your duties. My hat is off to you.

ffemt6263

Enlightened
Nice to hear my fellow cops did a good job, but again, I have been on this since it started and the teachers committed some truly heroic acts. Pulling kids away from the path of bullets. Going out to get kids.....and not making it back.

I did forget to mention the teachers and that was just the track of thinking i was in. They absolutely did amazing things and should never have had to make those decisions but they did. Truly amazing people.

Ragnar66

Enlightened
As an outsider to the law enforcement and EMT community, this is a humbling lesson for me in terms of what you go through during the course of your duties. My hat is off to you.

Thanks. always nice to hear.....so many don't like the police and the people that do rarely come across us for anything other than traffic tickets..... something we shouldn't be doing in the first place. And what can you say other than wow for those teachers. Amazing people.....true heros in the truest form.....

Last edited:

OCD

Enlightened
I did forget to mention the teachers and that was just the track of thinking i was in. They absolutely did amazing things and should never have had to make those decisions but they did. Truly amazing people.

+1 Heros indeed.

Ragnar66

Enlightened
"NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) — Town officials in Connecticut say the principal who died in the rampage at an elementary school was killed while lunging at the gunman as she tried to overtake him."

Amazing.

nbp

Flashaholic
I don't have any kids of my own, and I can only imagine the pain for those parents who have lost theirs in this vile act of senseless hate. It sickens me. To see the pictures of those little ones filing out of the school, eyes closed, hands on each others' shoulders so they didn't have to see the bloodshed in their hallways brings tears to my eyes. It saddens me that they will live with those memories forever; I hope that their little minds find a way to forget the worst parts of it. :sad:

Here is a heartwarming story about a bulldog that is trying to help the Sandy Hook residents. I know Greta loves bullies, and frankly, anyone can appreciate what he's trying to do.

Greta

Flashaholic
Bad nbp... you made the boss cry... :(

:kiss:

I love Bulldog people... they are the BEST! :grouphug:

nbp

Flashaholic
There are still good people out there, who care an awful lot. Unfortunately it sometimes takes a tragedy for people to appreciate them.

djdawg

Enlightened
Iam having a hard time with this ...... these werent people he killed , these were babies. Just starting out in life ,
Iam having a hard time with GOD with this one ........ losing faith .... hard understanding this one. Looking back in history , Iam having a hard time with the killing of all the Jews too..... so I guess this is called free will do do as we wish ? What ever happened to miracles , GOD could have saved those kids.
Iam sorry but this is hard to understand for me ,accept ,whatever.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I worked in the classroom the thought of this kind of thing happening crossed my mind. I always practiced drills in my head, where I'd take the kids, remembering the exits, etc. Every time the kids stood up to switch classrooms, I had them do it in unison and in an orderly fashion. My co-worker questioned why I had the kids "fall out" at the same time, and this is exactly why. I always wanted them to be prepared.

I watched the video of Kaitlin Roig. As a teacher she wasn't sure if telling her students "I need you to know that I love you all very much, and it's going to be ok" was the right thing to say. I can assure her the parents are beyond thankful for having a loving and protecting presence over their children. I would've done the same thing.

Last edited:

ffemt6263

Enlightened
**Quote of political post removed by admin.**

I certainly agree this is happening too often. This is atrocious by all means. I have alot to say to the rest of your response but respectfully i will not say it here. And i respectfully request on my own behalf any of these topics be taken up in the underground or somewhere else. This is not what we are in this thread for and you are sure to stir up some serious emotion on both sides by bringing up this topic. I feel this post was made with best intentions but i can foresee it taking a whole different turn. Thank you.
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw photos of some of the beautiful beings who were ripped from us all, deeply saddened........I can't imagine the families trying to get through the Christmas holiday, I lost my son this month many years ago and frankly it changed this holiday for me.( in fact this very date)
If you have children, hug them every day, same for your significant other, we never know when they might be called home.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
The key feature of these events is shared powerlessness.

Anything that might be done to prevent it (a response other than sadness) gets quickly and permanently bound up in the competing interests that bind up all manner of change at the political level (a change always equals a loss for someone).

What we're left with, is personal loss, shared consolation, and the understanding (however reluctant) that there is nothing we can do. What hope we have comes not from expecting it wont happen again, but knowing it will happen differently or somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts