River Rock K2 headlamp at Target

saltwater

Newly Enlightened
I just saw tonight the new River Rock K2 headlamp. Packaging says its rated at 85 lumens for 5 hours on 3 AA's on high and up to 30 hours on low. I was tempted but have held off buying one pending a positive review, Has anyone been brave enough to purchase one and what was your impression of the product?

my target has the new K2 lantern but NOT the K2 headlamp :(... Whats it like? I assume reflector?

Anyone have a pic?

I've seen them at my local Target and it appears to have the battery pack placed behind the head. Among the other River Rock LED K2 lights and what-not, there's this camo light that looks interesting. It sure did peak my interest, but no sale. . .

Enjoy!

jar3ds said:
my target has the new K2 lantern but NOT the K2 headlamp :(... Whats it like? I assume reflector?

Anyone have a pic?
Looks like the same new K2 that Cabelas is selling only the Target one has red leds on the battery pack.The one at Target is cheaper price wise also.

The Cabella's headlamp looks to be the same model. I wonder how it could be overdriven and only put out 60 lumens? The Target packaging states even more lumens than Cabella's. There is a caution on package about heat so they must be driving it pretty hard.

saltwater said:
The Cabella's headlamp looks to be the same model. I wonder how it could be overdriven and only put out 60 lumens? The Target packaging states even more lumens than Cabella's. There is a caution on package about heat so they must be driving it pretty hard.

Yeah that's what I thought...overdriven K2 at 60 lumens...what da!! I suspect that the Target branded K2 is probably more likely to be accurate at 80 lumens.

I do like the idea of the string of green led's along the back of the battery pack so you can be seen from behind.

I just picked one up at a local Target. I've got a night hike tonight so I'll report back on how it performs. It definitely is bright!

I took it on a 5 mile hike in the woods last night. I ran it on all three settings during the event. The beam pattern is too narrow for my tastes; the beam pattern is very similar to a LuxIII KL1 or L1 with the TIR optic system. That means it is a very narrow, square-shaped beam with a dim spill. It does throw and I don't doubt the output of 85 lumens.

I bought the headlight at lunch, took it home and opened the package, threw in the cells, and ran out the door to the hike. I wanted my impressions to be based upon real-world use, not white wall hunting.

The battery case has a red LED (or series of red LEDs) and this red LED is operated separately from the main lamp. You can turn the red LED on, or on flashing mode, or off.

The main beam turns on to high, then medium, then low, then flashing. Wait more than a few moments after turning the beam to a specific setting and hit the power button and you'll extinguish the light. The main beam in my light is quite white, with no discernable blue tints (at least outdoors).

The switch for the main lamp was difficult to locate and operate with gloves (it was below 30 degrees last night- 80 degrees three days ago... sigh). The main lamp does rotate on a hinge so I was able to focus the narrow beam to illuminate the trails 8' in front of me. At that distance the usable portion of the beam was about 4' across.

I'm going to try some diffusing film to see if it helps to make the light more floody. For less than $30 it is a great deal if you can live with the annoying beam pattern.

If anyone opens this light up please let me know, as I would love to drop a reflector into it.

For hiking I prefer more floody beams. I took along my 2x18650 Leef body + KT4 + M15 and had a throw monster. It wasn't very useful on the trail, but it did allow me to spot a few raccoons, deer, and foxes on the other side of a creek. I ran it for about 30 minutes without any dimming. My 10X dominator's 110 lumen low beam was nice and broad, and I ran it for almost 45 minutes without dimming. At one point we took a pic of one of our buddies in front of a trailhead marker. The flash on the camera wasn't working, so I fired up the 110 lumen main and the 500+ lumen secondary on the 10x and illuminated the woods for what seemed to be a mile around us! I also took along my milkyspit M180 KL2 on a 2x18650 body. It ran for about 45 mins without dimming and had by far the best beam pattern out of all the lights. Nice, bright but soft spill with just enough throw to punch its way across the creek bed and illuminate some high tension power lines from about 75 yards out.

TMorita said:

LOL at the $45 price tag. It's identical to the RR.

I just bought mine tonight at Target and just took it out to spray for bugs. Yes, the beam is a bit narrow, but will be easily fixed with a diffuser. I estimate the high beam to be more than 60 lumens when compared to E2Es and L4s. It' probably an honest 65 -75 lumens. I used mine on low almost the whole time because it was plenty bright. I wasn't offended by the beam at all. I am going to add some diffuser tape to the optic to help with up close tasks. I've very happy with it so far and I like the 3 different light levels. For the price...I can hardly pick the thing apart.:)

Last edited:
I bought one from my target, what a white emitter! I hate optics, so I ripped apart as soon as I got home. It now has a modified McR20 and a Sapphire window. :D

The mod was fairly simple to do, just a lot of grinding little by little so it fit perfectly. I had to also glue in a bigger O-ring over the stock O-ring to hold the Sapphire window (From a PD) in place. It doesnt look perfect, but the mod is solid, and the beam is perfect for me. I am very pleased with this headlight.

Pics:

RR001.jpg

RR002.jpg

Ahhhhh, this beam is alot better....
RR003.jpg

My target has them on sale for $25!

I just got one and so far like it. The focus is way too narrow, and I will have to fix that. Still, it is really bright and pretty well made. It's too bright for outdoors stuff, but will be great for more urban uses.

I think the red LEDs on the back are a great idea. This one's going in my glovebox!

This headlamp is available in NZ and Aus from Kathmandu. It has a R-bin Lux1 (51 lm max.), claims to have a regulated output and a r/t of 10hr on hi, 30hr on med and 50hr on low. On sale for nz$45 (about us$31.50).

I haven't confirmed the regulated output or runtimes yet. It does work with alks, NiMH and Li as well.

Ditto on the narrow beam from the TIR.

PoliceScannerMan said:
I bought one from my target, what a white emitter! I hate optics, so I ripped apart as soon as I got home. It now has a modified McR20 and a Sapphire window. :D

The mod was fairly simple to do, just a lot of grinding little by little so it fit perfectly. I had to also glue in a bigger O-ring over the stock O-ring to hold the Sapphire window (From a PD) in place. It doesnt look perfect, but the mod is solid, and the beam is perfect for me. I am very pleased with this headlight.

Pics:

RR001.jpg

RR002.jpg

Ahhhhh, this beam is alot better....
RR003.jpg
VERY nice! thanks for sharing... is it still fairly water proof/resistant after your mod?

PoliceScannerMan said:
Fairly yes, definatley around the lens, I plan to seal the case however with some for of waterproofer, like goop. Just to be sure.
very nice... you turned a poopy headlamp into an awesome one! :rock:

can someone take a picture of the battery case opened up? The reason for my asking is I wonder if there is a slick/easy way to get it to instead of run in series... to run in parallel. That way you can use 14500's... That would be awesome! Sort of branching off from the original idea from SilverFox...