Romisen RC-G2 w. Cree R2 (update - detailed instructions).

meuge

Enlightened
Re: Romisen RC-G2 w. Cree R2 - tremendous throw on 1xAA

Well, the madmax apparently will not work with a single AA setup according to post#14 here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/191168

Anyone know why that might be?

Eeep... I didn't notice that before

While it has an input voltage range of 0.8V to 5V, it only outputs 3.1V, so it won't do well with high Vf LEDs. I would guess it would work with a Rebel... or an SSC U-bin.

Well, 7880 it is then... since it's a great board for 1xAA.

taschenlampe

Enlightened
Does anyone know where the thread: "Romisen MXDL RC-G2 Cree experience?" is gone?

Can't find him …:shrug:

tl

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

I converted the 7880 driver into a single-mode by re-soldering the negative lead to the outer rim.

In general, multi-mode on one-stage forward clickies is VERY awkward, as it renders the forward switch useless, due to constant changing of modes. I tried it with my first mod, and immediately changed it.

Also, the 7880 driver hums VERY loudly on all modes <100%, so it's very annoying.

The only other driver I'd use here, would be the MadMax, but it's $13 + shipping, as opposed to $4 and free shipping.

Both beams are ringy with this reflector, but the Seoul is smoother, as always. However, because the Seoul isn't perfect with regards to height, the spot isn't really comparable to the Cree. So while the brightness is much better than stock with the SW0, the throw is significantly enhanced with the Cree.

I started using the '3W 19-Mode Universal Regulated Circuit Board', DX SKU 7882, with these lights. It's a bit messier to mount them: You need to take off 2 mm from the lower part of the pill, put an o-ring around the edge of the driver that will rest against the ledge in the battery tube. The driver is loose and is pressed against the cut down pill by the o-ring and the battery pressure. It's also necessary to shorten the battery spring in the tailcap a bit for less pressure.

I made a few of these with CREE Q5 on 14mm boards, it's an economical solution and I get a high quality driver that's adjustable in voltage/current. Battery draw is much less compared with the 7880 driver, 1.7A compared to 2.5-2.7A while output is higher and the emitter see more mA. It's a more efficient circuit. A bonus is that it doesn't hum and that one user interface is low-med-high only. And it works very well to change levels with this forward clicky.

Stefan

geek4christ

Enlightened

I started using the '3W 19-Mode Universal Regulated Circuit Board', DX SKU 7882, with these lights. It's a bit messier to mount them: You need to take off 2 mm from the lower part of the pill, put an o-ring around the edge of the driver that will rest against the ledge in the battery tube. The driver is loose and is pressed against the cut down pill by the o-ring and the battery pressure. It's also necessary to shorten the battery spring in the tailcap a bit for less pressure.

I made a few of these with CREE Q5 on 14mm boards, it's an economical solution and I get a high quality driver that's adjustable in voltage/current. Battery draw is much less compared with the 7880 driver, 1.7A compared to 2.5-2.7A while output is higher and the emitter see more mA. It's a more efficient circuit. A bonus is that it doesn't hum and that one user interface is low-med-high only. And it works very well to change levels with this forward clicky.

Stefan

Thanks for that report. I did not realize the efficiency was so different.

It seems that those boards are now shipping in a crippled state that requires a slight modification to get all levels. Not too big of a deal if you follow the instructions in this thread, but a pain nonetheless.

moviles

Enlightened
i think the way to make the most powerfull output its make it direct drive, direct drived dont will work wit 1.2 ni/mh or 1.5 batteries, but with 14500 it will be really powerfull,i think protected 14500 can give 1.4 or 1.5 amps on this rc-g2/r2 flashligt,
no way to buy the r2 for this rc-g2 in dealexreme????

superstylefactor

Newly Enlightened

Stefan

Hi Stefan, I've been following alot of your posts ever since i stumbled on your first g2 p4 mod. With regards to the cree q5 on the 7882 driver mod, how is the low-med-high level achieved?

Among all the G2 mod combination, which one is the best? ie p4 with 7880, r2 with 7880, q5 with 7880, or q5 with 7882? Is a p7 mod possible for the G2 or N3? Thanks!

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the 7880 driver with a Q5 using eneloop AA, it does get somewhat hot, but very bright! Poor man's Jet-I! I wish they made it in HAIII

I had to use Artic silver to help transfer heat from the pill to the body of the light.

AlexGT

Latest posts