Rulag 2 Volt sealed lead acid batteries - model RL-4

Minimoog

Enlightened
Does anyone here own / use any Rulag battery driven equipment? Made by both GEC and Rulag, the 2 Volt sealed lead acid batteries were used in torches and lighters - they were very small and could be recharged if you took them into a shop that dealt with them. I have a GEC torch that takes the Rulag RL-4 battery, and have not been able to find a replacement. The bulb is rated 1.8 Volts.

If it comes to it I will use 1 AAA NiZn battery in a holder as that is quite close to the needed 1.8 volts, but I will need to modify the torch a little as the battery is a completely different shape.

Any Rulag info appreciated - especially a place that sells them still!

Lithium466

Enlightened
I didn't know this brand. I understand it is powered by a small 2V SLA battery, what size is this battery? Do you have a picture maybe?

Minimoog

Enlightened
I didn't know this brand. I understand it is powered by a small 2V SLA battery, what size is this battery? Do you have a picture maybe?

Yes, that's right – a small SLA. Sadly I threw out the last cell I had as it was dried out, but it is like the size of a small box of matches, but a little thinner, with two brass flexible contacts on the top. This http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/elektr_son_ruhlag_akku_rzp2rzp.html shows what they look like.
I tried fitting an AAA battery in a holder but even grinding the holder down to paper thin still saw it jam in the light. So I will solder a rechargeable cell in there with two flying leads to add to my power supply when it goes low.

john1230

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone here own / use any Rulag battery driven equipment? Made by both GEC and Rulag, the 2 Volt sealed lead acid batteries were used in torches and lighters - they were very small and could be recharged if you took them into a shop that dealt with them. I have a GEC torch that takes the Rulag RL-4 battery, and have not been able to find a replacement. The bulb is rated 1.8 Volts.

If it comes to it I will use 1 AAA NiZn battery in a holder as that is quite close to the needed 1.8 volts, but I will need to modify the torch a little as the battery is a completely different shape.

I think your NiZn is the best way to go as the 2v SLA battery in that size is next to impossible to find online.

Here's another thought for you.

Use two 3v button cell battery for a 6v power source and use a step down circuit like this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XE4AXPG/?tag=cpf0b6-20 to output 2v to the bulb.

Lithium466

Enlightened
SLA seem a no-go today, or at least I wasn't successful finding a suitable battery.

What about a small LiPo modelism pack, or a phone battery?

You also have some prismatic NiMh batteries, but they seem difficult to find these days.

What exactly is the battery supposed to power, and what is the maximum admissible voltage?

Minimoog

Enlightened
Thanks for the input. Due to the shape its a real struggle to get anything in there - its a small narrow light that just takes one AAA cell. I tried my smallest regulator and even that prevented the top being fitted. These were pocket lights and were available in all different patterns. I did some more hunting and ended up making a fixture that took one NiZn and allowed it to be charged with minimal dismantling. Here's a photo of the light. You can see the special 1.8 Volt dome bulb. https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0fpglliypr6eqo/20161123_230433.jpg?dl=0

Lithium466

Enlightened
It looks really nice.

Have a look at small LiPo for drones and helicopters maybe, they do some tiny batteries...you'll need to replace the bulb probably.

Or....buy a 9V battery like Energizer or Varta, dismantle it and use the flat batteries inside. Varta brand should use 7 flat batteries inside..I said should...they cost like $10, and that will at best give you 7 1,2V NiMh 200mAh flat batteries.

Edit : like that: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:9V-NiMH-opened-battery.jpg

Last edited:

zumer

Newly Enlightened

The Rulag were lead acid 2 volt battery
Haven't been available since 1960s.
Difficult form factor to fit into
Was used in lighters and some toy models

zumer

Newly Enlightened
Dave,

Good day.
As mentioned, there is an exact drop in replacement for the Rulag RL4 available, which is also rechargeable.
The AAA, or any other battery is much longer, and won't fit.
Thank you for trying to help

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a lipo cell is a no go due to a special bulb.
Otherwise a lipo/cellphone pack and a 3 cell bulb would do it.