S2200 scratched reflector

a1mu1e

Newly Enlightened
Sorry Mods, I know that this has been asked before, many, many times.

I don't know if my situation is different, but I need a little reassurance here.

I thought that I had read a satisfactory amount on flashlight maintainance, but, suffice it to say that I "cleaned" out the reflector of my brand new S2200. I don't want to go into details.

The surface is covered in thousands of micro scratches. The area still seems shiny though, not matte in any way, and I haven't noticed any difference in brightness.

My question is, how much will this affect my output? I guess because of the OP reflector, there are NO visible artifacts. I looked very closely, and could find none.

Thanks,

Alexander

LGT

Enlightened
I wouldn't worry about it if you see no difference in brightness. I would think those micro scratches, as you've seen, will have minimal effect on the beam at any usable distance. Also, why did you find it necessary to clean out the reflector?

a1mu1e

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. As for the second question, because I can't leave anything alone ! :mad:

Something I have to learn. A few specks of dust maybe, but mostly obsessive cleaning.

The lens and the reflector were flawless, but there was a small piece of what appeared to be hair inside the module. Removing that was not what caused the scratches though. Once again, wiping imaginary dust...

inetdog

Enlightened
One thing you have to keep firmly in mind is that unlike household mirrors, etc. the metallic reflective costing is on the near side of whatever it is mounted on. That makes it very vulnerable.

a1mu1e

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I figured that out the hard way. I'm just wondering about the effect on output, which, according to my vision (inaccurate) and the statements of others, appears to be negligible.

Newguy2012

Enlightened
I did that with my Sunwayman V11r. You shouldn't touch the reflector or spray water on it. You can use a camera lens air dust blower to get some of the dust out. You can use compress air too but be careful because it could spray liquid. The effect of the scratch is probably minimal on the output but mentally you'll be thinking about the damage though out the day.:p

a1mu1e

Newly Enlightened
you'll be thinking about the damage though out the day.:p

I figured the effect would be minimal, but I'm pretty sure I'll be thinking about this for a lot longer than that :sigh:

I think at this rate, my next flashlight purchase (once I accumulate some money) will be the... solarforce s2200!

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Alexander,

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Dust and lint or even small scratches on your OP reflector would have almost no effect on your light's output or beam characteristics.

If you are losing sleep over it or are contemplating getting a new S2200 because of this... Then, I think the $30 would be an option you should consider. :)

Onestep

Newly Enlightened
Get the replacement and leave it safely in the box and enjoy the light as it is. You will then have the peace of mind that your reflector is still mint in the box. If you decide to clean again feel free to as you still have the mint reflector in the box! :)

a1mu1e

Newly Enlightened
Since this is an email purchase, I come to wondering.. Are their prices negotiable? I thought I remember hearing someone say that they were.