San Francisco 49ers fans opinions on aussie Jarryd Hayne

swan

Banned
I dont know much about American football but Jarryd Haynes was one our elite rugby league players and has signed on for the 49ers.
How will he go, like what u have seen so far, any opinions?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
he fumbled his first reception from a kick. Mind you, it was a very short kick. The rest of the game, had a couple of good runs, one pretty good step. Not really much to show but given that it is only his fifth full game and first in the big league, he's come very quickly into the game. Don't think any rookie in the history of the nfl has had that little experience.

swan

Banned
Thanks for the reply Mr Floppy -
Yes the fumble first up was not good, i guess first game pressure got to him a little. I can see he is holding back a little trying to learn the rules but when he settles down, he will demonstrate his natural ability to get a football up field. Its been great watching him finally make the roster and makes me incredibly proud as an australian.
In rugby league he was a stand out with his speed, sidestep, power and quite often would win the game for his team.
Its early days but i hope Jarryd Hayne ["the Hayne Plane"] succeeds for the 49ers in one of the toughest most professional sports in the world.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about being the toughest, but it is one of the most lucrative and competitive professional games there. Very little margin for a bad game because of the number of players lining up behind you if you fail. Reputation doesn't count for that much in this game.

By the way, if you were hoping for an appraisal by an American, I am not that person. Not really a fan of gridiron either but watch when available. Happy for the lad, done amazing to get where he is in a very short space of time but won't go overboard about his achievements

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
I dont know much about American football but Jarryd Haynes was one our elite rugby league players and has signed on for the 49ers.
How will he go, like what u have seen so far, any opinions?

He looked great returning kicks in the pre season, he seems to have a natural ability to see and read the field. He should get some more playing time at running back this weekend as Reggie Bush is still out with an injury. Hayne is obviously a stud athlete, and as a 49er fan I'm hoping he can figure out how to translate his skills to NFL football.

swan

Banned
He looked great returning kicks in the pre season, he seems to have a natural ability to see and read the field. He should get some more playing time at running back this weekend as Reggie Bush is still out with an injury. Hayne is obviously a stud athlete, and as a 49er fan I'm hoping he can figure out how to translate his skills to NFL football.
I agree and appreciate the comments JFG.

nbp

Flashaholic
Rugby players have to throw the ball, right? Maybe the 49ers should have put him in at QB... ohhhhhhh. :hahaha:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, the guy is a rookie. It's hard to hit your stride when your first experience with American football is as a rookie on an NFL team.

I wish him well, and won't be surprised if he shows us some stuff...

next year, when he's not a rookie.

Last edited: