SANYO Announces C- and D-sized ‘eneloop’ Batteries

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, does anybody currently make a 3AA-to-D adapter shell that configures the cells in parallel instead of series? If not, why not? If so, it must be hella cheaper than one of these "new" Eneloop D cells. Wouldn't mind having a few adapters like this to use with my AA's as backup to my PowerEx D cells.
There are some AA -> D adapters available that let you configure 1 - 4 AA cells. I was going to order some, but the shipping cost was insane for me

EDIT: Here they are: http://www.aventrade.com/baad.html

Last edited:

Bones

Enlightened
This Eneloop C and D cell adapter theory is getting interesting, but I remain very skeptical.

According to the Eneloop specifications, an AAA cell weighs 13 grams and a C cell weighs 60 grams:

In order to abide by the 4 AAA cells into 1 C cell theory (4 x 750mAh AAA cells = 1 x 3000mAh C cell), the cells themselves would account for 52 grams, leaving just 8 grams to account for the top and bottom metal contacts, the adapter body and the ptc.

It this enough?

The weight issue doesn't appear to be as critical with the 3 AAA cells into 1 D cell theory (3 x 1900mAh AA cells = 1 x 5700mAh D cell).

According to the Eneloop specifications an AA cell weighs 27 grams and a D cell weighs 100 grams:

In this case, the 3 AA cells would account 81 grams, leaving 19 grams for the remainder of the D cell.

These 'exploded' views of the Energizer D cell may provide some clues as to what's involved with the type of implementation being theorized for the Eneloop C and D cells:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no need to take one apart. It just needs an X-ray machine. Take some through an airport and look at the screen as they get scanned...

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point. Also,if we have any xray techs out there they could take one to the hospital for us.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
This Eneloop C and D cell adapter theory is getting interesting, but I remain very skeptical.

According to the Eneloop specifications, an AAA cell weighs 13 grams and a C cell weighs 60 grams:

You forget one thing:
Now that you have a big casing, you can leave out parts of the individual casings, which shaves of a gram or two per cell.

I also dont quite understand why you think that 19g for "the rest of the parts" would be little for a D-cell.
Thats quite an amount of heft, and a strong steel-can as big as a d-cell wont be as heavy.
Also, in the pictures you showed, i do not think those plastic parts weight more then 4 or 5 grams. A cm^3 is good for a lood of thin stiffening parts....

Last edited:

Bones

Enlightened
There's no need to take one apart. It just needs an X-ray machine. Take some through an airport and look at the screen as they get scanned...

While an x-ray will resolve the big question, if they truly are 'adapted' cells an x-ray will lack the viseral satisfaction of seeing the cell deconstructed and all the little parts laid out for our perusal.

Accordingly, if an x-ray determines they are adapted cells, I would be more than willing to contribute towards a fund for the purchase of a C and D cell by someone with good photography skills and, preferably, access to a professional grade band-saw...

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
While an x-ray will resolve the big question, if they truly are 'adapted' cells an x-ray will lack the viseral satisfaction of seeing the cell deconstructed and all the little parts laid out for our perusal.

Accordingly, if an x-ray determines they are adapted cells, I would be more than willing to contribute towards a fund for the purchase of a C and D cell by someone with good photography skills and, preferably, access to a professional grade band-saw...

I couldn't help but to laugh at this post.Only on cpf are we willing to buy something brand new/state of the art and immediately rip it to shreds to see what makes it tick.You got to love it!:devil:Count me in..

tstartrekdude

Newly Enlightened
well....you know if you take one of the new c cells apart and find 4 aaaa's its not a complete lost, now you got 4 aaaa eneloops :p

billw

Enlightened
C = ~3000mAh
D = ~5700mAh
Hmm. This is an "interesting" compromise between "as much power as will fit" (as we CPF'ers would like to see) and "stuff an AA capacity cell in a bigger case" as many of the other "consumer" rechargables seem to do (Energizer D cell: 2500mAh. Duracell doesn't have C or D rechargeables. Rayovac has pictures of C/D rechargable cells, but doesn't seem to actually sell them. Radio shack has a 4500mAh D cell...)
This could put eneloop at the top of the capacity ratings for "consumer" batteries. Which is a nice precedent. I suppose we'll have to see how the prices fall out before we decide whether they're worth buying...

Skibane

Enlightened
There are some AA -> D adapters available that let you configure 1 - 4 AA cells. I was going to order some, but the shipping cost was insane for me

Slight thread hijack, but most brands* of NiMH AA cells will not fit 4 astride inside a D-side M@G light, even without an adapter present - The inside diameter of the flashlight body is simply too small to accommodate 4 of them sitting next to each other. You might be able to omit one AA cell in Aventrade's 4-cell adapter (i.e., just use 3 cells), but then that leaves some space on one side of the adapter for it to shift off-center (and possibly lose electrical contact).

*A few random brands of AA cells I checked:
Kodak NiMH 2100 mAH Pre-Charged: Won't fit
Lacrosse NiMH 2400 mAH: Won't fit
Sanyo NiMH 2500 mAH: Won't fit
NEXcell NiMH 2100 mAH: Won't fit
Digital NiMH 2200 mAH: Won't fit
Kodak NiMH 2500 mAH: Won't fit
Duracell NiMH 2650 mAH: Won't fit
Targus NiMH 2500 mAH: Won't fit

Energizer AA Lithium: Will fit
Panasonic NiMH 1600 mAH: Will fit

BOTTOM LINE: Be sure to test-fit 4 of your intended AA cells in your intended flashlight before ordering these adapters.

Skibane

Enlightened

Slight thread hijack, but most brands* of NiMH AA cells will not fit 4 astride inside a D-size M@G light, even without an adapter present - The inside diameter of the flashlight body is simply too small to accommodate 4 of them sitting next to each other. You might be able to omit one AA cell in Aventrade's 4-cell adapter (i.e., just use 3 cells), but then that leaves some space on one side of the adapter for it to shift off-center (and possibly lose electrical contact).

*A few random brands of AA cells I checked:
Kodak NiMH 2100 mAH Pre-Charged: Won't fit
Lacrosse NiMH 2400 mAH: Won't fit
Sanyo NiMH 2500 mAH: Won't fit
NEXcell NiMH 2100 mAH: Won't fit
Digital NiMH 2200 mAH: Won't fit
Kodak NiMH 2500 mAH: Won't fit
Duracell NiMH 2650 mAH: Won't fit
Targus NiMH 2500 mAH: Won't fit

Energizer AA Lithium: Will fit
Panasonic NiMH 1600 mAH: Will fit

BOTTOM LINE: Be sure to test-fit 4 of your intended AA cells in your intended flashlight before ordering these adapters.

Bones

Enlightened
Slight thread hijack, but most brands* of NiMH AA cells will not fit 4 astride inside a D-size M@G light, even without an adapter present - The inside diameter of the flashlight body is simply too small to accommodate 4 of them sitting next to each other.

It's too bad they couldn't have been aware of the eventual trend to substitute AA cells in adapters when they determined the dimensions of the D cell. Had just a few millimetres been added to it diameter, 4 AA cells would fit, even with adapters.

As well, presuming the Eneloop D cell is comprised of Eneloop AA cells in an adapter, it could also have been made with 4 cells instead of 3. That would have increased its minimum capacity from 5700 to 7600mAh (4 x 1900) and its typical capacity from 6000 to 8000mAh (4 x 2000).

Oh well...

Burgess

Flashaholic
How did i happen to miss this thread ? ? ?

Oh well, i've found it now.

:popcorn:

_

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
How close is the fit for 4 AA's to d. Is it close enough that unwrapping the cells will allow them to fit, the outer shrink wrap on some can be quite thick. I would think that if a company were to make d cells out of AA's they would place the AA's in the adapter pripr to applying the labels.