save my teeth

dipsmitt

Newly Enlightened
Any ideas on what to wrap around small edc flashlights so you can hold them with your teeth and not look all gehto?

I have a streamlight microstream which I like but it kills my chompers if I bite it. Been looking for a composite flashlight that is similar with no luck so far so now I'm thinking of modding.

Sintro

Newly Enlightened
Just get the nitecore headband, positions the flashlight ontop of your head, not on the side like some others. But, I myself do that one in a while with lights, but just wrap my lips around my teeth and hold it like that. You could always keep a small lens cleaning microfiber cloth, if you have glasses already, you should already have one. And if you don't, just go to a glasses store and buy one for like 3 bucks. The ones I have are around 3x4 inches, and probably 1mm thick. And you can wash them in the washer and dryer too.

sassaquin

Enlightened
The high CRI Terralux Lightstar 80 is a AAA (2) penlight that has a rubber bite grip on the tailcap for hands-free holding. Runs for 5 hours at 80 lumens. I don't own one but have read it is a quality light priced at around $18 with a lifetime warranty.

tam17

Enlightened
Never hold flashlight between your pearly whites, use your lips instead or - better - get a headband. You can make a cheapo DIY one using elastic cord and scrap plastic, looky here.

Cheers

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Biting down on a metal (or any hard object) is terrible for your enamel. One wrong move and you could be paying a bill from your orthodontist you wish you would've spent on a Polarion. My advice is don't do it. Sassaquin's idea for a rubber bite grip and the headband are both better alternatives than chipped or damaged teeth.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
A photon or fauxton are among the very few lights that are small and light enough to hold with lips.

Heat shrink tubing and bicycle innertube both are nicer than tape, but if you use gorilla or duct tape you'll also have a small supply of tape on hand.

dipsmitt

Newly Enlightened
The wife came up with something that worked well, just couldn't get past the pink and sparkles. Pencil grip. Slipped right on and gave a nice cushy grip for the teeth.

Cosmetics killed it though, if I can find a black one may go for that.

My hands are typically to dirty to be screwing around with a headband and don't want to fiddle around with carrying another piece of gear.

I had some heat shrink in the drawer and have coated it with that in the mean time. The light is to big to comfortably hold with lips. Now I know what the ladies have been complaining about all these years lol.

I might pick up that terralux, although it looks a little large for edc.

CMAG

Enlightened
cut a nipple from a baby bottle at least you know it is BPH free and wont cause cancer

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used bicycle inner tubes for years but for some lights I have used the thick walled clear vinyl tubing available at hardware stores. You probably won't be able to bite through the vinyl.

ico

Enlightened
Do you know about the hand straps that come with the 4sevens quarks? Some cut the circular part of those and put them on the tailcaps of their quarks so they can bite the light easier.

dipsmitt

Newly Enlightened
cut a nipple from a baby bottle at least you know it is BPH free and wont cause cancer

had to Google the BPH thing and all I came up with was something to do with your prostate

have to ask wtf is bph

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
had to Google the BPH thing and all I came up with was something to do with your prostate

have to ask wtf is bph

I think they meant BPA (Bisphenol A).
Most brands of baby bottle specifically mention being BPA-free, since there has been considerable controversy around this hormone-like substance in recent years.
BPA has been (and is still) used in many plastic products as well as thermal paper (store receipts), from where it can easily enter through the skin.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Yep -- a Headlamp !

This thread kinda' reminds me
of the old sign displayed in a gas station, when i was little:

" Fix my Horn, cuz' my Brakes don't work ! "

tolkaze

Enlightened
Headlamp would be the ideal solution, grap a ZL flashlight with a headband. Best of both worlds.

Or, if you insist on biting down, didn't Terralux or somebody make a bite grip for mini maglites? made them look like whale tales, but were rubber.