Search & Rescue lots of throw, with decent flood capability?

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Search & Rescue lots of throw, with decent flood capability?

My guess, in general, people are wanting what has yet to be created and don't want to settle for lights that have been created. My apologies for the negative response. Within reason, every light has it's positives and every light has it's shortcomings. I understand, it's hard to wrap one's think around this point as hope springs eternal.

In my opinion, so much of flashlights and opinion is tied directly to personal experience. Me? I dealt with my opinion, like many here, by morphing into a guy of many flashlights. And then to assure me of buying more, enters CREE's efforts to create more and better LEDs and then manufactures continue pumping out new lights with better drivers which take advantage of the better LEDs that CREE insists on creating and selling.

An example. Looky here, see how my light fills the car with light. Why that's nothing, see how my light fills the parking lot up with light. Why you guys got ripped. See how my light lights up a football stadium. Yeah, well check out this light, see how I can light the whole of the hillside, all the way across the lake. And it won't stop until someone figures out how to point a light that burns a hole in their back after going all the way around the world.

It becomes a sort of vicious cycle. Some do well with it and other do poorly with this circle of light. I do well with it, my wife does poorly with what I do well with; spending money. But we're married and the beat goes on.

Last edited:

Ladd

Enlightened

My guess, in general, people are wanting what has yet to be created and don't want to settle for lights that have been created. My apologies for the negative response. Within reason, every light has it's positives and every light has it's shortcomings. I understand, it's hard to wrap one's think around this point as hope springs eternal.

In my opinion, so much of flashlights and opinion is tied directly to personal experience. Me? I dealt with my opinion, like many here, by morphing into a guy of many flashlights. And then to assure me of buying more, enters CREE's efforts to create more and better LEDs and then manufactures continue pumping out new lights with better drivers which take advantage of the better LEDs that CREE insists on creating and selling.

An example. Looky here, see how my light fills the car with light. Why that's nothing, see how my light fills the parking lot up with light. Why you guys got ripped. See how my light lights up a football stadium. Yeah, well check out this light, see how I can light the whole of the hillside, all the way across the lake. And it won't stop until someone figures out how to point a light that burns a hole in their back after going all the way around the world.

It becomes a sort of vicious cycle. Some do well with it and other do poorly with this circle of light. I do well with it, my wife does poorly with what I do well with; spending money. But we're married and the beat goes on.

Well, that pretty much covers it!

As an addiction, flashlights may be an expensive one......

But a lot cheaper in the long run than the dangerous addictions out there.

jso902

Enlightened
Questions I'd be more interested would be:
Run time?
Battery type?
Terrain type for search and rescue?

If I was an outdoors/woods search and rescue I would have kept my m3lt surefire.
Close indoor search and rescue, I think this would be overkill

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

But a lot cheaper in the long run than the dangerous addictions out there.

Yes, like morning coffee with store bought chocolate chip cookies. The sugar in the cookies can kill ya. :p

Last edited:

RemcoM

Enlightened

Go for a Nitecore TM36, throws muuuch farther, than the Armytek Barracuda, or get a TK61vn.

kkay

Newly Enlightened

I was looking at the M23 Javelot last night. I am not sure it is what I am looking for, as the You Tube reviews are slim pickings. I read Parrot's post about a flashlight not yet made, that has what I want. I am a newb at decent flashlights. I don't have the money to go buy whatever upgrade they may have, that I may want. I don't want a box full of lights. I want edc, outdoor dog walking (but if I hear bushes rattling, I want to zero in on what is there), fishing & camping lights, and an outdoor light for searching distance. I don't want a lazer beam like light only. I think it would be like tunnel vision, and be disturbing if you were walking on something besides pavement. I only want ONE distance light at this time. To me the amount of money I would have to pay for one is just crazy. A distance light that the head turns to open a bit of flood would be nice. From what I see the head turns to allow for more modes, but not necessarily flood. It would go to higher or lower settings, or strobe etc... I have quite a few flashlights already. But quality ones, I do not have but one, and that is my EDC. The light for search I am seeking would have to do as many things in one light as possible. So I am not seeking one condition. It would have to take on multi roles if possible.

Take my Cree Ultrafire XML T6. It does an amazing job for me. You can adjust the head for more than one condition. You can move it back for flood, or you can move it forward for a tunnel like lazer beam. For almost all outdoor conditions, it is perfect. It uses one 18650 battery. I got it on Ebay. I call it one of 3 cheap Chinese lights that I got there. But it does not go at a distance I would like, although yes, it does go very far. If I am at my friend's land, and wild hogs are roaming, I don't want a tunnel light focused one just one area, when I could have hogs making a beeline for me, and I don't see it. If one of the kids wanders off from camp, and they are gone for a while, I want a distance light to search with. I don't really know what a green light is for besides hunting maybe. I like red capability for outside lights, simply because of bugs, as I mentioned before. Just going to take my dog out with the Ultrafire XML T6, I get a ton of bugs come up on me, including the dreaded flock of mosquitoes, which I hate. One night I heard something humming in my tree. It sounded like a million moths fluttering up there. I put the light on it, and these strange orange wasps were flying all around it, and in it. The bright light attracted them to me, and I backed off quickly. I turned my light off, and got out of there post haste.

I guess they don't make a wide throw, that would suit my generic needs. (at a price I am willing to pay) Maybe for the time being, I will have to get two lights for what I want. I don't want to be a flashlight collector so much as have a few lights, that meet all my needs. This post was to try and cover some of the recent comments. More thoughts to come....

It's a laser of sorts, it compliments my flooder on walks.
I use a M22 for local viewing, and the M3XS-UT for distance.
It also has gone on sale for half of its current retail price and may again. I got mine at Gearbest ftr.
Check out the M23 javelot as well, I'm after one of them next, on sale hopefully.

Edit,.. do note, at low power where most don't use it, it has a shifted tint/ color to green, and that fades as you use higher power levels.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
My M22 is handier then thought as an all rounder light.
That's why I'm thinking an even higher output version aka M23, is a possible general use winner.
As always even with everyone's thoughts, ymmv.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't want to be a flashlight collector so much as have a few lights, that meet all my needs.

I would say it's safe to write, that's how we all started out......All I want for Christmas is a stupid flashlight that does what I want. Good luck with that. :p

kkay

Newly Enlightened

Go for a Nitecore TM36, throws muuuch farther, than the Armytek Barracuda, or get a TK61vn.

The TM36 is way too expensive. The TK61vn needs 4x18650.

kkay

Newly Enlightened

I would say it's safe to write, that's how we all started out......All I want for Christmas is a stupid flashlight that does what I want. Good luck with that. :p

LOL. Good one. :thumbsup:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

Look at the new Nitecore EC4. Two 18650, 1000 lumens turbo, decent other modes. For things like walking the dog, etc., low or medium look to be good. When the bushes rattle, a quick hop to turbo will reach out almost 300 yds to see what is going on. Best of all, it is only $65. I very seldom use the turbo mode on my lights, only when I really want to reach out and touch someone. Most of the time is spent on medium or lower. It is really surprising how much one can see with five or ten lumens of light.

kkay

Newly Enlightened

Timothy, thank you. I have all of the lights that I need, except the search light right now. (it may end up requiring two, I am not sure yet) For the future though, I am only going to get one. As time permits, I will get another, if I have to. I am sorry if my post was confusing. I was just saying I have certain criteria for certain conditions. So again, everything is covered for the time being, except the search/outdoor light. Oh, and I expect it to get rain, and maybe dropped in a water puddle. So it must have the highest waterproof I can get...level 8.

Look at the new Nitecore EC4. Two 18650, 1000 lumens turbo, decent other modes. For things like walking the dog, etc., low or medium look to be good. When the bushes rattle, a quick hop to turbo will reach out almost 300 yds to see what is going on. Best of all, it is only $65. I very seldom use the turbo mode on my lights, only when I really want to reach out and touch someone. Most of the time is spent on medium or lower. It is really surprising how much one can see with five or ten lumens of light.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

Then let's talk about your reluctance to go to four cell lights. If it is only about the cost of cells, I agree with you somewhat. I got four Nitecore NL18659A 2000 mAh IMR cells for $30 USD. I know they are not the highest capacity, but they are IMR cells, which I like, and I refuse to pay three times that price to get 50% more capacity in an ICR 3100 mAh cell. If I wanted a second set, I still would pay less than for one set of high capacity ICR cells.

So look at the TM16 again. Look at some of the videos on YouTube. One can see that there is a nice spill around that beam. And one has to admit that being able to light something up six football fields away is pretty asewome!

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

So look at the TM16 again. Look at some of the videos on YouTube. One can see that there is a nice spill around that beam. And one has to admit that being able tolight something up six football fields away is pretty asewome!

From personal experience, I know that at a thousand feet, if someone steps into a pitch black roadway, with a TM16 as the only source of light, not only can I see them but I can tell who's waving back at me.

FWIW, the TM16 is a 4000 lm light which floods and throws @ 122,500 cd. What are your personal needs with a S&R light?

Last edited:

zehnmm

Enlightened

Just a couple of years ago when I was a mountain SAR volunteer, I carried three lights, other than my keychain light, as one light would not do everything. Of course, whatever you buy becomes outdated in a matter of several weeks. I had a Lumapower Incendio, using CR123s and RCR123s, that gave 165+ lumens, depending on the batteries. I could carry that in my hand or put it in a Fenix headband with holder. At the time that light was ok; but I must say now, in hindsight, it was not my best choice for a small 123-type light.

The second light I carried in a holster on my belt was a Sunwayman V20C. It had a max of about 450 lumens or so using 18650s. Good combination of run time, weight, and a balance of throw and flood. This was and still is a good all round light. One of the things I still like about it is the variable control ring, kind of like a rheostat.

The third light I carried was a Thrunite TN31. Using a battery holder with three 18650s, this heavy beast of a light put out some 1,200 lumens otf max, but was a thrower. It had a control ring with 6 different outputs, not counting the strobe. If I were on a mission callout where a throw light was not needed, then I usually left this light behind due to its weight.

These lights, at the time, may not have been the best choices that others might have made, but they worked for me. I still have them and use them here and there.

While I really like powerful lights with high lumen output, in my experience, for throw, it is not necessarily lumens that is important but rather the design of the head/reflector. I have a now dated Olight M3X Triton with max output of about 700 lumens. Rated to throw out to 800 meters, imho, it lives up to that advertised performance.

Hope this helps!

wjv

Enlightened

Fenix TK51

Flood & Throw in one light.

Good run times

But it does use 3x18650

kkay

Newly Enlightened

If I am going to use a high powered light, especially with 4 batteries, and not 1, I want protected batteries. Money is a large part of my hesitance to not go with 4. But another reason is if you have a problem with them, and you have more or more vent...you are in a world of trouble. I vape unregulated mods, and I use 18650 batteries that are IMR, authentic, and unprotected. But I don't sub-ohm with them. I have seen photos, and have heard of issues. I think mostly it is because of cheap batteries, and the person using them may not have used proper safety precautions. I always check my batteries with a multi-meter. I can tell when they are starting to run down. I almost always recharge at 3.9 volts. Sometimes it gets to 3.8, but that is rare. I have a feel for when the batteries start to get low, I can tell. Now on a flashlight, if I don't use it enough, I may not have that feel, of when the batteries need changing. If for instance I am searching for a child, I may use the flashlight for a longer amount of time, than I would normally use a flashlight. Usually when I use one, it is not for a long time, it is just a few minutes at most. I do have a battery check, that I could pull out, and pop a battery on, that will give me a rough idea, of the charge, without using the multi-meter. The 4 batteries would give me possibly more run time, but might give me a false sense of security about it, on battery checks. I dunno, I will have to consider this aspect more. Thanks for your thoughts though, I do appreciate it.

Then let's talk about your reluctance to go to four cell lights. If it is only about the cost of cells, I agree with you somewhat. I got four Nitecore NL18659A 2000 mAh IMR cells for $30 USD. I know they are not the highest capacity, but they are IMR cells, which I like, and I refuse to pay three times that price to get 50% more capacity in an ICR 3100 mAh cell. If I wanted a second set, I still would pay less than for one set of high capacity ICR cells.

So look at the TM16 again. Look at some of the videos on YouTube. One can see that there is a nice spill around that beam. And one has to admit that being able to light something up six football fields away is pretty asewome!

jso902

Enlightened

Kkay, you made some reasonable requests. But then your wants get a little scattered. Sorry.

How much are you willing to spend?

An Xml2 is pretty tough to beat in balance of throw and flood.
If you want a tighter beam, an xpg2 led based flashlight would be a good bet.
Downside is that you will lose some sheer flood lighting.
Are expecting this to be edc?

What you're asking for is something with power when needed with adequate spill .
Two/three mode light should hit the spot
Another option would be to find a larger reflector with an Xml2 led and you might be happy with the extra throw/flood that you're looking for.

If you're looking for a disco light, red,blue,green I'll defer that question to someone else.

Last edited:

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you're looking for a disco light, red,blue,green I'll defer that question to someone else.

Not what the OP is looking for but a Nitecore HC90 headlamp has all four; Red, Blue, Green and 1000 lm white. The OP already has a pair of headlamps.