SF 6P LED or Fenix T1??

IcantC

Enlightened
What do you need to use it for?

Brightness of stock P60L might be enough. T1 has the benefit of 2 levels.

Personally I would buy an incan P60 and buy a Q5 dropin if all you care about is brightness.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
After torture testing a Fenix T1 to death, I will cast a vote for the T1. It is a super rugged light, and the simple high-low switching is great. The light is a solid performer, wicked bright, and will give you the killer flat regulation that Fenix is famous for. Besides, how can you go wrong with olive green. :thumbsup:

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't used a 6PL but I have the T1 and its awesome...great output on high..very good runtime on low. Great when you don't need so many lumens

What I also like about it is the easy lockout. Untwist the cap slightly and its fully locked out. On my L2 I have to unscrew until almost the tailcap falls off before its fully locked out.

Stainless bezel ring is also a nice touch for keeping the HA on the bezel intact.

Clip is not too good..and the glow in the dark speck tail cap is a joke but these are minor faults on a very excellent light.

chibato

Newly Enlightened
Gonna have to give another vote to the T1. Just received a T1 torture testing version from the fenix-store.com today. Have been abusing the heck out of it all day long. More bad things have happened to this light in one day than a typical light would have to endure over a 5 year stetch. Other than several nicks in the T1's annodized armor, it doesn't even seem phased. Very impressive. I have a 6P and G2L, both are nice quality lights; however, the T1 is about 2x brighter, and seems to have a more solid build. :thumbsup:

DigiDan

Newly Enlightened
To answer what I need to use it for, that will be for police / firearms use. I want something suitable for room clearances, but also to act as a bit of a search light in outdoor conditions - fairly decent throw.

I really dont want to carry 2, but i'm beginning to feel like the T1 would be the best outdoor option, and the 6P best for indoor

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, the T1 isn't as suited to tactical uses as the 6P. So if that is what you are using the light for, then the 6P with a high power drop-in would work.

Also look at the Dereelight CL1H, might be a good balance between both.

:welcome:

cv3po

Banned
T1 for sure. It has the output on high that rivals the very best "drop ins" and yet has a long runtime low "that is quite bright on its own, my original 6P was rated at the same 60 lumens for only an hour" and like someone said can be used to drive nails. Of course the clip sucks but we CPF folk can surely think of some fix for THAT. Get the T1 and live a long and happy life....................................

djblank87

Enlightened
To answer what I need to use it for, that will be for police / firearms use. I want something suitable for room clearances, but also to act as a bit of a search light in outdoor conditions - fairly decent throw.

I really dont want to carry 2, but i'm beginning to feel like the T1 would be the best outdoor option, and the 6P best for indoor

Room clearing and for indoor use or when conducting vehicle stops it is going to have to be the 6PL. I sold my Fenix T1 to someone who already posted in this thread but yes I did have both at one time.

greenLED has made some comments regarding that when taking cover or moving around different objects when using the Fenix T1 the high level can be Too Much.

Easy guys, I know there is a low mode but to switch to that mode you will need both hands and that is not good when you have a firearm in your hands.

The 6PL gives a good runtime and decent output which is suited more towards tactical use. To deploy the 6PL quickly use a Surefire speed holster and you can go bezel down or tailcap down your choice.

The Fenix T1 one is brighter, bigger, very tough, two modes, good runtimes and all in all is really a great light. Big thumbs up to Fenix on the T1.

In this case since these two lights are the only ones metioned and I would go with the SF 6PL. The options to upgrade, tailcaps, bodies, drop-ins, holsters far out weighs the Fenix in this case.

You will just have more options with the 6PL.

But when it comes to which one is brighter, that is simple the T1 will dominate the lumen world in that respect.

+1 on the 6PL

cv3po

Banned
greenLED has made some comments regarding that when taking cover or moving around different objects when using the Fenix T1 the high level can be Too Much.

Easy guys, I know there is a low mode but to switch to that mode you will need both hands and that is not good when you have a firearm in your hands.

And we all know how often THAT scenario comes up for the average user (aside from daydreaming after watching an action flik).

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

And we all know how often THAT scenario comes up for the average user (aside from daydreaming after watching an action flik).

Ok, however, that user is far from "average", he said: "I need to use it for, that will be for police / firearms use." With that said, a classic yet simple 6P trumps the T1.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say 6PL mainly because of the amazing amount of "lego's" you can come up with for it. Bright drop ins w multilevel, clicky or twisty, incan or LED, tons of battery options, different color lenses etc etc. You can make a 9P out of it too. T1 is a good light no doubt but 6PL the sky is the limit almost.

greenLED

Flashaholic

cv3po, DigiDan doesn't come across like an average user. He clearly stated:

DigiDan, here's a link to that thread people are mentioning. It has the impressions of a firearms instructor and myself after taking a low light/night fire firearms defensive tactics class using the T1 as my primary light. Your experience and training may differ from mine, so what I see as shortcomings may be easily overcome by your training, etc.

Personally I think either would work for you. You just gotta live with the compromises in design that come with each particular light.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought both. The T1 is going to be a Christmas present. It's nice to have the low setting on the T1 for a longer runtime and closeup work, but personally I prefer the 6PL. I have smaller 1 cell lights for the low power use. The person getting the T1 has no other lights so adjustable output is ideal for them. The T1 is a very solid well made light and the high setting is comparable to the 6PL output. As stated before, you can't beat SF for total dependability and ability to modify to suit your needs. Either light should serve you well depending on your needs.

Every beamshot I have seen or lux output chart does not show the 6pl as any where near as bright as the T1. However brightness is not everything. My first good light was a 6p, so it holds some sentimental value to me.

As to quality, I do not think there is a SF light made tougher than the T1. I do hope that SF and Lumpower for that matter come out with a nice mid sized, bright light with a forward switch and 2 levels.

Last edited:

djblank87

Enlightened

You should re-read what digi-man posted, he cleary stated he was going to use if for police/firearms use.

I do not see how you got (Action Movie) out of that. greenLED already cleared it up now and I hope you fully understand what the op is going to use the light for now.

:whistle:

cv3po

Banned
You should re-read what digi-man posted, he cleary stated he was going to use if for police/firearms use.

I do not see how you got (Action Movie) out of that. greenLED already cleared it up now and I hope you fully understand what the op is going to use the light for now.

:whistle:

My apologies, I should have been more specific. I meant the average "law enforcement" user. To be fair I'd just been pulled over and given a ticket b4 I wrote that and was in the mindset of "they're nothing more than glorified tax collectors" at the time. I would not want their job, however, and so have the utmost respect for that profession. I'd still stick with the T1 tho

SgtB

Newly Enlightened

ok...

Firstly, there are plenty of military and law enforcement personnel who DO in fact use flashlights in this scenario, and their lives depend on being able to do it effectively. These people are out there doing difficult and dangerous jobs so that shmoes like you and I have the freedom and ability to do things like talk about flashlights on the internet.

Secondly, not everyone wants a flashlight so they can sit at Starbucks and brag to their friends about how bright their light is. Ever heard of being prepared? For example, I keep a tactical flashlight around for the same reason I keep a firearm in my home--just in case. Home invasions and breakins/robberies do happen. Will it happen to you? Probably not...but look at it this way: If you're prepared, and it never happens, no big deal. Easy. However, if you're not prepared, and it DOES happen...let's just say you won't be doing any more ridiculing those who took a few simple steps to protect themselves and their families.

Third, if you're going to be prepared, you might as well have the best tool for the job. The difference between using a flashlight quickly and effectively while you're half asleep, versus taking 2 seconds to fumble with the switch because it's poorly designed, could be the difference between averting disaster and something much worse.

DigiDan

Newly Enlightened
:)

I like this site.

Thank you all very much for your excellent inputs. I've gone the CPF way and just ordered both.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
:)

I like this site.

Thank you all very much for your excellent inputs. I've gone the CPF way and just ordered both.

We are very happy for you! Let us know how your lights work for you.

Go get yourself some decent CR123A/RCR123A batteries too. Visit out friends over at the battery section of CPF for some suggestions.