SF Z57 clicky switch maximum current?

mfrey

Enlightened
Does anyone know what the limits are for the Z57? I ask because I have an E2C lego that I am considering employing with one of the new Oveready V3 triples for serious pocket power. They pull some decent current; I'm not sure the clicky would be up to the task.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just don't try it with a single lithium-ion battery, it goes into direct drive mode (or something similar.. can't remember) and pulls over 3 amps. As long as you run a pair of Li-ions any switch should work great.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just don't try it with a single lithium-ion battery, it goes into direct drive mode (or something similar.. can't remember) and pulls over 3 amps. As long as you run a pair of Li-ions any switch should work great.

It also has reduced output. Defeats the whole point of having the triple in the first place.

mfrey

Enlightened

That's good to know since the body is bored for a 17670. Would the direct drive current destroy the switch or would it remain intact but limit the current by virtue of its inherent resistance?

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's good to know since the body is bored for a 17670. Would the direct drive current destroy the switch or would it remain intact but limit the current by virtue of its inherent resistance?

If I'm understanding the folks that made the drop-in, you may or may not get away with a surefire clicky on 1 cell. While it has decently low resistance, as it heats up the resistance increases and it may get hot enough to damage the plastic parts in the switch.

Output on 1 cell is still some 6-700 lumens, so I wouldn't say it's without merit to try, when I manage to snag one I plan on running it with the surefire twisty in a 6p and single 17670/18650/IMR 16340's. If you try it make sure it's in tip-top shape, use de-oxit, etc, but don't expect it to live a long life.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
If you are determined to run off of 1 cell, you may have success negating the spring problem by adding a piece of copper solder braid to carry the current from the bottom of the spring to the top. There could still be an issue with the switch contact over time though.