SFM6 LED head?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kaseri, U4 should be better in color than W5, according to the datasheet. But if kakster's W5 is only second to TWOK, you might not be able to beat its whiteness.

Personally, If i was going to put a lux in my M6 (which i DON'T have, btw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) i would go to at least W or X binned lux. U is the past as it has the lowest lumens rating in the whole 5W department

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kaseri : thats another aspect of the luxeon lottery...tint and flux can vary within the same bin, even within the same reel. Just ask Mr Bulk.

kaseri

Enlightened
Hmmm.... based on the datasheet it seems that a U rating has at least 80 lumens which is much better than running a KL6 on it. Decisions, decisions....

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, the lumen rating quoted by Lumileds are for the bare emitter only and at a junction tempreture of 25 degrees C. Secondly, Surefire lumen ratings tend to be conservative and refer to the total amount of light coming out of the bezel , IE taking into account of the losses incurred by the reflector and lens etc.
Bear in mind, the KL6 uses the lumileds part, so the the apparant discrepencies in the quoted luminous flux are mainly due to different methods and conditions used in testing.

***ummmm....can we say off topic??? sorry for hijacking your thread, woodsman

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
Kakster, no problem, I'm enjoying the reading. This luxeon lottery thing interests me. At the same time it almost makes me scared to buy another 5 watt SF head because it might either be better than my current one or worse than my current one. Thus making me no longer like one of them as much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I think I'm going to buy possibly an e1e and kl4 or l4 and e1e or e1e and kl1 head or something along these lines next. Anyway I've got to go outside now to use some "guilt free pila lumens" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later.........

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the Luxeon lottory is the reason why, whenever a new Surefire LED comes out, you always see a few on BST a few days after. The Diehard collectors buy several, select the best one, and then sell on the 'rejects'. Ive actually yet to see a 5 watt Surefire bezel in person (L6 has been pre-ordered for over a month now).

Latest posts