Sgt Burkett w/Cree MC-E

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up an extra 18650 Sgt. Burkett just for some fun with an MC-E. Used a Ledil Boom S reflector that is supposed to be the tightest beam they make for the MC-E and had to do a little filing to fit. Set it up as a one level Direct Drive and at first it seemed to me that it was a bit floody, a large hotspot and lots of spill. This configuration is not a thrower, but if you want to light up the yard this is the light for you. After about 10 minutes the light was warm but not to hot to hold.

The first photo is MC-E Sgt. Burkett, the Second is 1C P7 Mag with a very tight hotspot and little spill, the third is the standard K2 180 lumen St. Burkett.

The MC-E Sgt. is a great "walking the dog around the neighborhood" it will light up your way nicely. I was hoping at first that the Boom Reflector would be a real tight beam, but truthfully I find myself going to this light more and more often as it is a very useful beam pattern. I have another Sgt. that I am going to put in a MC-E with a 5 stage DD PWM unit, low,med,high,strobe,sos. Also got some nice glow rings that I have put into the bezel.

Last edited:
Great work, I plan to do the same to one of mine, have you used a driver or DD, which driver?
How hot does it get?
Norm

The Ledil Boom S is supposed to have the tightest beam of the three MC-E reflectors and truthfully it is not that impressive in tems of hotspot, I have an Boom M as well and will try it later on.

Tightest for MC-E, not tightest at all. MC-E is very floody itself and difficult to focus.

Dang! They aren't very expensive, but the shipping is a lot for a reflector. Thanks.

Kevin

Dang! They aren't very expensive, but the shipping is a lot for a reflector. Thanks.

Kevin
How much is shipping Kevin?
I think I will be making a trip to Cutters next week, they are about an hour from me. I could pick up you reflector and post it to you.
Providing they have stock.
Norm

Orlac, it looks like mostly spill. Does the IMS 20 give a more defined hotspot?

Thanks, Norm. I might take you up on that. I have no idea what postage would be from there, though...

Kevin

Orlac, it looks like mostly spill. Does the IMS 20 give a more defined hotspot?

Thanks, Norm. I might take you up on that. I have no idea what postage would be from there, though...

Kevin
Hi Kevin the actual postage cost shouldn't be more than about $2.50
Norm

Just done my MC-E Sgt.BURKETT today. Here's my parts used:

(1) Sgt.BURKETT DIY Kit
(2) 4xAMC7135 multi-mode driver with low voltage warning (will change to low level slow strobe when batt below 3v)
(3) 20mm Khatod Stippled Reflector for the Seoul P4 (Opening enlarged)
(4) 21.7x1mm AR coated lens
(5) K-bin MC-E on Star from DX. WG? (wired in 4p config)

Here's the photo of the driver:
SgtB-ldch-4x7135adv.jpg

At first, I plan to stack two more AMC7135, but the total height is near 5mm and I give up.

The head with Khatod Stippled Reflector:
SgtB-MCE-K01-01.jpg

The driver board in the pill:
SgtB-MCE-K01-02.jpg

The spring:
SgtB-MCE-K01-03.jpg

I add solder wick to the spring, but I think it shouldn't make much difference.

With a full charged 18650, I measure about 1.4A from battery side with my DC clamp. (AMC7135 is linear driver, the current is the same in the LED side and battery side).

Here's a simple beam shot. It's in medium mode and about 40cm to the wall:
SgtB-MCE-K01-beam.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. :)

Good work :thumbsup:
Where did you get that driver?

I ask my friend to buy it for me from China. Maybe KD/DX will carry it since they already sales some driver from the maker (ldch).

Nice work NetKidz, I put a KD SCC P7 Li-Ion 5mode driver in mine instead of DD works great. Low, med, high, strobe, sos.

I think the driver is DD with PWM. I'm not sure how much current of hi mode when a fully charged 18650 is used. :thinking: