Shock! How could they neglect to include a FLASHLIGHT

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
How the heck do you get 24Lbs?! My pack, that I do keep loaded (for SAR purposes) weighs almost 40Lbs that doesn't even include a sleeping bag or tent! Water alone weighs 8.8Lbs alone.
It adds up fast! I'm just under 20lb (not counting water) and sleeping in a poncho. Then again, I'm also "packing" in the field, that adds a lot of weight intrinsically. Clif bars, first aid kit, micro radio, batteries, sunscreen, bug juice, cleaning kit, fire kit, etc, etc, etc...

I could probably do it all with an altoids can kit and a contractor grade trash bag, but that's roughing it a bit too much for me. :)

Yeah.... No flashlight but don't forget that phone charger.
thumbsdown.gif
...and with what will you charge it, dear Liza, dear Liza? :)

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
How the heck do you get 24Lbs?! My pack, that I do keep loaded (for SAR purposes) weighs almost 40Lbs that doesn't even include a sleeping bag or tent! Water alone weighs 8.8Lbs alone.

It took some time, patience and $$$! That 24lb load is good down to 3°F my coldest trip yet. For 3 nights, 4 days including water (carry 1L then melt snow, purify the rest), food, everything. The funny thing is it doesn't change much any other time of the year. Always between 22 and 26lb total. But again, we're just talking backpacking, not what I would call "real" tools or durable gear for a BOB.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
...and with what will you charge it, dear Liza, dear Liza? :)

I do have a somewhat pricey phone charger that holds a battery charge itself. Plug it in, charge up the charger, put it away. Then when you need an emergency charge, you plug that charger into your phone. Good to go. I forget the name of it. But Duane Reade sells them. It sits in my old work-bag/Get-Home bag. I use the stock charger that came with my Smartphone, in my current bag. It's smaller, thinner, fits better in my bag than the bulky pre-charged thing mentioned above. Plus, if something horrific happens; I'll have more important things to concern myself with than chatting on a fricking phone.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plus, if something horrific happens; I'll have more important things to concern myself with than chatting on a fricking phone.
No doubt! I feel that a first aid kit is more important than a power bank or boost charger.