Shootout! Novatac 120P vs Nitecore Defender

gunga

Flashaholic
Good choice Fathom.

I think your Novatac should come stock with a new style clip, so I dunno if you needed to buy another!

No worries, you can always send one my way.

:nana:

I like the lanyard ring on mine, great, low profile. YOu way want to look into a couple tactical o-rings (or just find some garden hose o-rings). Helps with the grip.

I lost out one of these recently. May have to pick one up if people start selling em off when the new Arc/HDS lights come out.

:devil:

I have a 120P and have to admit I don't use the max very much.

Fathom

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, my ego still hurts though.

They were out of stock on the Tactical o-rings but I have a source here. I included a note about the "new style" clip in the shipping comments, also about the rare low level [instability] some have had and that my main use will be on lower levels.

Since my last post I remembered that I was unable to order the lanyard ring, listed as in stock, but would not cart because out of stock? Opposite was true for another item. Not sure what all I will recieve.

I was afraid that when the new ARC [thingy with no name] comes out it might be easier to sell 85P than compete with all the 120P's being sold to pay for a new ARC... maybe that is unfair speculation. But I have waited since I joined CPF to buy the new ARC-4. Who knows, ARC[7?] could be released before my order arrives, or maybe next year?? I got tired of waiting. This week is the first time I have bought a flashlight since my ARC(AAA) in 2005. (I also bought a JetBeam C-LE V2 this weekend)

Damn, I'm now a collector (and on a buying binge)

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, good choice Fathom, the 85P really IS the best bang for the buck, and trust me, you won't miss the extra top level one bit.

Truth be told, the only bad thing about the NovaTac is that it has stopped me from buying other lights (sigh). After you get used to the beautiful beam and being able to setup the UI any way you want..... it makes most other lights look a bit anemic.

Yes, there are lots of newer, brighter lights coming out every week...... but the comments are almost always the same, "gee, it would be the perfect EDC if it just came on in high..... or low..... or if it had a really low low, or if it had momentary on".

So, look forward to being spoiled. :) BTW, be sure an download the 15 page manual from the NovaTac website so that you can get a headstart on understanding how the programming is accomplished, and don't worry that it seems a bit complicated at first...... just try to get a grasp on the basics.

Once your lights arrives, try to spend some time simply sitting down with the light and the manual and PLAYING. Remember, if you get lost, you can always do a factory reset and bring everything back to normal. Pretty soon you will see how fun and easy it is to set it up a variety of ways depending on your current needs. Mostly...... just have fun!

Fathom

Newly Enlightened
I've pretty much memorized the 15 page manual. Damn I love those option settings. I wrote micro controller code for several years and it seems it was written by a guy after my own heart.

Two months from now I may not remember the option settings but for now I'm ready for lift off. I need some kind of mnemonic to remember the options for any period of time, I'm working on that. Should start a new thread. The rest is easy.

I have read other UI instructions and they have kept me from buying anything for so long. This one seems to be a good intuitive trade of between "Friendly" and "Really Powerful". I Like!

I retired young, in 1993 after 20 years of hardware design (from old-school state machine design, to radio and radar). I loved it too much, its all I did 7 days a week. One day I decided to go fly fishing, that's all I have done since (same mode, pays nothing, healthier and just as happy). But I have my old lab equipment. Micro-controller development systems are inexpensive now. I keep thinking how I would design a UI, this is close enough. I'd rather fish high mountain back country.

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Derek Dean said it well ... the Novatac will spoil you in a hurry. All my Surefires still get used, and the E2L is in the jeans pocket for eight hours every day, but the Novatac stays in the shirt pocket 24/7. It is the only light that I 'had to have' two of ... and I may pick up another one or two as funds allow. One would easily fit in my wife's purse, another on the Harley, etc. Just about as cool as the U2, which says a bunch.

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
I've bought the 85P off fellow member, shuter, in the MP ...
Should have bought the 120P, but my rather miniscule budget doesn't allow me to splurge for it. Any accessories for the NovaTac to reccomend ?

Fathom : Can tell me more about your source for the O-Ring ?

Fathom

Newly Enlightened
I understand Lighthound to be the authorized distributer in US. Not certain. He is the best stocked/supplied market for NovaTac I have found, and the best prices.

Check this page for all the NovaTac's and accessories at his sight.

You might email him about the O-ring, he may actually have it in stock. I got quick response in an email to him about the lanyard ring, they did have one in stock, so I am getting that after all :) but I didn't think to ask about the O-rings also, figured I would get it here. Mention I thought he was an good guy to deal with.

I live in Boulder, Colorado. We have a number of high tech and R&D firms locally so there are some great hardware suppliers here also. One place has o-rings of every imaginable shape and size. I have no doubt they can match me up with something once my light arrives.

Lighthound has CPF member discount (2%) and free shipping for orders over $75.

The 120 would just be one little step in brightness as far as the human eye is concerned, but a HUGE disproportionate step in power drain. As technology evolves that will change, but I don't think we are there yet. But I too wish I could have afforded the 120P :sssh:

Last edited:

iSleep

Newly Enlightened
too bad they didn't stock SF F04 diffusers, but I'll still get the Tactical tailcap from them

Fathom

Newly Enlightened
The diffuser (lens) I got for the NovaTac was from the HDS page here if you want on for the NovaTac.

I am pretty sure it will work since they take the same UCL lens, but you should check with Lighthound first.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fathom, considering your past experiences, I'm sure you will dig the UI of the NovaTac.... it is indeed an excellent balance between 'friendly' and 'powerful' and it should be the perfect companion for the those fly fishing journeys out into the Colorado wilds.... what fun!

BTW, if you come up with a good mnemonic for remembering all the options, please be sure and pass that on, as I still haven't been able to remember the list in order yet, ha.

iSleep, be sure and check out the hottest new accessory for the NovaTac, the HDS 17670 battery tube/switch:
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3439&strVarSel=&strCompare=

This WILL fit on the NovaTac head and a 17670 battery has been tested to give 140 minutes of runtime at 120 lumens. Pretty neat.

The only other thing I can think of might just be one of the most important. I keep my light in my front pocket, I just like it there, but was a bit worried that it could accidentally fall out, so I invested in a Coil Tether which I got from CPF member greenLED:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=144507

Now I rest easy knowing that my trusty light won't go missing.

Draven451

Enlightened
This has been a very useful and informative thread - Thanks to the many members who have contributed and continue to share their knowledge so freely and make this such a cool place to hangout :wave:

I originally started the thread to gain more insight from actual users of each light to make a good informed oppinion in choosing just one option - either the NDI or the Novatac.

I was lucky to dicover a great deal on an NDI from a fellow CPF'er and I'm axiously awaiting its arrival!

But with all the great user responses about the Novatac, I may have to follow typical CPF style and purchase both and form my own oppinion :grin2:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has been a very useful and informative thread - Thanks to the many members who have contributed and continue to share their knowledge so freely and make this such a cool place to hangout :wave:

I originally started the thread to gain more insight from actual users of each light to make a good informed oppinion in choosing just one option - either the NDI or the Novatac.

I was lucky to dicover a great deal on an NDI from a fellow CPF'er and I'm axiously awaiting its arrival!

But with all the great user responses about the Novatac, I may have to follow typical CPF style and purchase both and form my own oppinion :grin2:
I'm sure you will enjoy the NDI, it's an excellent addition to my EDC arsenal and sees lots of use. One thing, there was quite a bit of discussion about the tightness of the front O-ring. Mine was also tight at first, but I found that with a weeks worth of use it got to be 'just right', giving a good solid feel to the UI.

Have you decided what battery you are going to run with yours?

Fathom

Newly Enlightened
I am having zero luck coming up with a mnemonic as good as the classics used in electronics. I'll let you know but don't hold your breath, I think it would take a dedicated thread of NovaTac owners to come up with a good one.

I considered the 17670 tube with 17670 battery since it would still be 3.6V (same voltage but twice the mAh), and figured I could get the switch to work if that really was a problem. And who knows how the tubes will be available... but I feared Lighthound might think twice about selling anything to me if I might possibly burn up out the NovaTac the first day. Would make a 120 purchase more reasonable.

I glad you're OK with the thread Draven451, I have felt bad it died and went so far off original topic after my battery delima.

Draven451

Enlightened
I'm sure you will enjoy the NDI, it's an excellent addition to my EDC arsenal and sees lots of use. One thing, there was quite a bit of discussion about the tightness of the front O-ring. Mine was also tight at first, but I found that with a weeks worth of use it got to be 'just right', giving a good solid feel to the UI.

Have you decided what battery you are going to run with yours?

I have some Energizer Rechargeable AA's that are 2500 mAh that I was going to try out. I really like the idea of using rechargeable's vs primaries because of the cost. Which batteries have you tested, and which do you like to use?

Tremendo

Enlightened
I have some Energizer Rechargeable AA's that are 2500 mAh that I was going to try out. I really like the idea of using rechargeable's vs primaries because of the cost. Which batteries have you tested, and which do you like to use?

I'm using Energizer Rechargeable NiMH 2500 mAh and they work well and last a long while. I started with Energizer Lithium AA's, which seem a tad brighter and lighter, but now free lumens are working very well. And it is still VERY bright.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided on 120P and accessories but know nothing about lithiums to put in with my order... Iv'e spent most of the day trying to figure them out and "think" I have it narrowed down. If I get one primary to get me started and two secondaries, what should I get with my order (Lighthound)???

3.6V Unprotected 880mAh UltraFire 16340 Rechargeable RCR123a Compatible (UFR123880)
3.0V Unprotected 1000mAh chinese 17335 Li-ion RCR123a Battery (CH3V173351000)

3.6V Protected 900mAh BatteryStation RCR123a Rechargeable (BSRCR900)
3.6V Protected 880mAh UltraFire Rechargeable RCR123a Compatible (UFR123880P)

My answer is None of the above.

You can rule out the "3.0v" rechargeables right off the bat. They are not a supported battery according to the Novatac manual. The reason is that the Novatac and HDS circuit was developed before they became widely available. I don't think the auto detect circuit will work right. It will either think it is a Rcr 3.7v and will cut out early or a 3.0 primary and over drain it.

Your best rechargeable option is the 3.7v AW. This is also available from lighthound. It's a couple bucks more than others but its worth it. Don't pay attention to the mAh value, the higher values are pure fiction. In fact the values above 750mAh tend to indicate dishonest marketing techniques and often have worse performance.

Primaries:
The new Blue Label made in the USA Battery station brand would be the best value here. Stick with made in the USA brands on the primaries.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using Sanyo Eneloops for both my AA and AAA rechargeable needs because of the low self discharge rate, however, they are only 2000 mAh, so they won't have as much runtime when fully charged as your Energizer cells, but since my NDI is more of a backup to my NovaTac, it's less important to have maximum runtime and more important to have a battery that will retain it's charge over time so when I DO need it I can be assured that the battery won't be dead.

If your NDI will be your primary EDC, then you will probably use it more and can stay on top of recharging your cells, so your 2500 mAh cells are probably the better choice for you.

Draven451

Enlightened
I'm using Sanyo Eneloops for both my AA and AAA rechargeable needs because of the low self discharge rate, however, they are only 2000 mAh, so they won't have as much runtime when fully charged as your Energizer cells, but since my NDI is more of a backup to my NovaTac, it's less important to have maximum runtime and more important to have a battery that will retain it's charge over time so when I DO need it I can be assured that the battery won't be dead.

If your NDI will be your primary EDC, then you will probably use it more and can stay on top of recharging your cells, so your 2500 mAh cells are probably the better choice for you.

I do have some AW protected RCR123's 3.7v that I was thinking of trying in the light as well as I believe I have read others have used them and they have been pleased with the output. Its fun to have so many choices to choose from and test them out to compare the results.:)

Last edited:

Fathom

Newly Enlightened
Derek Dean, Draven451, cave dave and others, :wave:
Thanks for all the info, really has helped.

Mnemonic for remembering NovaTac options set was talked about earlier in this thread. I started (my first and only CPF) thread called, for want of a better name, "Mnemonic for remembering NovaTac options set".

The only ideas in it so far are my own and are pretty bad since I cannot remember the mnemonic :(!
Hopefully some others will contribute as time goes on...