Shootout! Novatac 120P vs Nitecore Defender

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seeing as there are owners of the NDI here, ill just ask, how much of a difference is there between 14500s and AA lithiums/alks ?

Crenshaw

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not big difference. I have beamshots only with ni-mh batteries, but initial output should be roughly the same with all AA batteries.

14500/AA ni-mh
nitecoredi_max_stena1_s.jpg
nitecoredi_maxaa_stena1_s.jpg

14500/AA ni-mh
nitecoredi_roh_max_long_s.jpg
nitecoredi_roh_maxaa_long_s.jpg

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
the difference on lightreviews.info looked quite substantial...
you just saved me 9.00+shipping, thanks..:)

now if only Priority Mail was faster...

Crenshaw

Draven451

Enlightened
Crenshaw,

When does your NDI arrive?

I have only had mine since last Friday and have been playing with it alot over the past few days. I am using a rechargeable Energizer 2500 mAH and I am very pleased with the output - I can't say that I have really run the light for a very long period so I can't speak to the runtime at varying output. I will need to perform some tests to check that out. I think you wil be pleased with the light. Let us know when yours arrive and what you think. :D

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seeing as there are owners of the NDI here, ill just ask, how much of a difference is there between 14500s and AA lithiums/alks ?

Crenshaw
It's not as huge as one might think cause the NDI is tweaked so well to use primary AA's, but it is noticeable. I don't know about lithium primaries tho, never tried one. I've only used Nimh and 14500s. It's enough of a difference on 14500's that I won't be going back to the eneloops anytime soon. I notice more throw and a brighter spill. Just plain brighter all around. I think it's worth it to run the 14500's even with the initial cost. Others may not think so. :shrug:

Draven451

Enlightened
It's not as huge as one might think cause the NDI is tweaked so well to use primary AA's, but it is noticeable. I don't know about lithium primaries tho, never tried one. I've only used Nimh and 14500s. It's enough of a difference on 14500's that I won't be going back to the eneloops anytime soon. I notice more throw and a brighter spill. Just plain brighter all around. I think it's worth it to run the 14500's even with the initial cost. Others may not think so. :shrug:

Liteme,

I have been thinking about buying some 14500's but I already had some of the Rechargeable Energizer 2500 mAH batteries on hand and they work with the NDI and offer good output. Would using the 14500's offer higher output levels, better run time? Any one know?

Thanks,

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Liteme,

I have been thinking about buying some 14500's but I already had some of the Rechargeable Energizer 2500 mAH batteries on hand and they work with the NDI and offer good output. Would using the 14500's offer higher output levels, better run time? Any one know?

Thanks,

Look at the original NiteCore post, they have runtime graphs.. Take them with a grain of salt, considering they also said they were 190 lumens, but you can at least compare different battery types.

Yes, 14500 has higher output and longer runtime. It's also a 40g battery vs 30g for NiMH or 15g for lithium AA.

I have some on order for kicks, although I still think I'd be happier with lithium AA's because they last a long time and are very light, plus they're not expensive in quantity.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crenshaw,

When does your NDI arrive?

I have only had mine since last Friday and have been playing with it alot over the past few days. I am using a rechargeable Energizer 2500 mAH and I am very pleased with the output - I can't say that I have really run the light for a very long period so I can't speak to the runtime at varying output. I will need to perform some tests to check that out. I think you wil be pleased with the light. Let us know when yours arrive and what you think. :D

Sigman shipped on the 9th, i picked priority mail, so it might arrive on the 19th? or sooner, or later...means i still have a week to wait..:(
its okay, i think my L1 arrives today, i really hope so...that shipped on the 5th i think..and my LS and EDC (below) only took a week on priority too....fingers crossesd. Ill certainly be letting you know , wouldnt be able to contain my joy anyway...:D

Lite_me,
i i have no previous experience with rechargables, and i dont want the hassle of making sure they charge properly, etc. that said, if i do end up getting 10440s for an LOD, ill get 14500s at the same time i guess. What the heck, ill probably get 14500s regardless,if only just to see the difference in output

Khaytsus,
at the MP post, they claim 130 torch lumens, in bold, because they wrote it in bold too, but 14500s do seem to have a flatter regulated runtime curve..:shrug:

does that mean edgetac has an intergrating sphere? :eek:oo:

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a number of things about he NDI that has irritated me since I purchased it, but one thing I will say. You can argue it of course but IMHO it has the best spot and spill of any of the LED lights I have, and I have a few. Everytime I turn it on it is just a thing of beauty. I don't own the Novatac so I can't comment on its beam. I have heard it is one of it's best features, for me I just can't get past the diameter of the light.

Bill

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Khaytsus,
at the MP post, they claim 130 torch lumens, in bold, because they wrote it in bold too, but 14500s do seem to have a flatter regulated runtime curve..:shrug:

does that mean edgetac has an intergrating sphere? :eek:oo:

Crenshaw

Ah, I must have missed that and just looked at the graphs.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
The moderator should have locked this thread ... I was happy with my 120Ps until reading this & a PM from a member ... so in the best CPF tradition, the NDI has joined the stable:D

Draven451

Enlightened
The moderator should have locked this thread ... I was happy with my 120Ps until reading this & a PM from a member ... so in the best CPF tradition, the NDI has joined the stable:D

Welcome to the NDI club :thumbsup: Currently the NDI is my favorite new light - Well at least until my 120P arrives :D

precisionworks

Flashaholic
The NDI is interesting ... I haven't had a AA light since the L1D CE got traded for a Surefire L4 (I hope to live long enough to see that happen again). I plan to use Eneloops in the NDI, which should be interesting.

at least until my 120P arrives
If for any reason you don't like it, PM me with your selling price ... I only have two so far:D

Last edited:

Draven451

Enlightened
The NDI is interesting ... I haven't had a AA light since the L1D CE got traded for a Surefire L4 (I hope to live long enough to see that happen again). I plan to use Eneloops in the NDI, which should be interesting.

If for any reason you don't like it, PM me with your selling price ... I only have two so far:D

I have been running Energizer Recharable 2500 mAH batteries int he NDI since last Friday and with frequent use it is still running strong. I ordered some AW 14500 rechargeables based on everyones suggestions and will try those out when they arrive. I keep reading about the Enloops and may have to give them a try at some point also, but how many different batteries can you have for one light!!!??? :nana:

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I have been running Energizer Recharable 2500 mAH batteries int he NDI since last Friday and with frequent use it is still running strong. I ordered some AW 14500 rechargeables based on everyones suggestions and will try those out when they arrive. I keep reading about the Enloops and may have to give them a try at some point also, but how many different batteries can you have for one light!!!??? :nana:

I get 60 minutes of runtime on high out of old 1800mAh Rayovac's, so in reality there's nothing wrong with using NiMH in the NDI.

Personally, I'd really love to just use Lithium AA because they're SO light, but I ordered a 14500 because of the extra output and even longer runtime (at the expense of weight.. 40g vs 15g for the Lithium AA!)

Fathom

Newly Enlightened
how many different batteries can you have for one light!!!??? :nana:
I can relate to that!

Draven, I see in the registry you got the 120P, Congrats! You are definitely a worthy member of this thread. Another one bits the dust.
Just received a BNIB from a fellow board member! Looks great and I'm still reading that big manual too figure out the functions.....This light makes a good companion to my NCDI!
The following mnemonic helps me remember the options when setting the dark: "Beacon signal locator for butt(-lock) timers, (a) simple tactical option." I can never remember how to do the "new rechargeable battery reset". That is all the users manual I seem to need. NOTE: by powering on to "maximum" (with click-press) it's brightness can also be set.

I may have to buy an ND as a smaller "dress slacks" pocket carry. Sounds like a great 1xAA size. Either that or get another Novatac for some reason I can't quite understand or justify.

Draven451

Enlightened
Fathom,

I'm really excited too have just received my 120P! I started this thread about a week ago and decided to take the plunge and purchase both lights CPF style! Honestly I can say the purchases were good decisions because as similar as the lights are they are also very different.

I need to sit down with the manual and figure out all the light output settings on the 120P - It seems like the NCDI has a more simple UI - but then again I can say that because I have had 1 week to play with it and I picked up the 120P from the post office this morning.

What great luck I had time wise for my orders - I received my order from lighthound today - Two AW 14500 (for NCDI) an extra AW RCR123 (120P), 7/8 glow ring (120P) and a Leef SS bezel(120P) Tactical Switch (120P)

Now if I can only figure out how to get that insanely tight original bezel off I can install my new mods :D

Last edited:

Fathom

Newly Enlightened
Now if I can only figure out how to get that insanely tight original bezel off I can install my new mods :D
I tried and tried. Then I sat on it while I worked on the computer, tried again and it slowly rotated right off...

I did not notice any signs of loctite but if there is any I don't think it takes much heat to weaken, maybe a hair dryer for a few seconds. Not into the lens though, I don't know how polycarbonate holds up to heat.

I tend to change some settings like "locator" or "simple momentary" on/off without thinking much about it. Brightness is easy because you can reverse the cycle with a second click-click-press. Counting steps became easy so I know what my settings are/were should I change environments (town to forest) and adjust all up or down proportionally. I love it!

Eager to hear your own review of the two.

Draven451

Enlightened
I tried and tried. Then I sat on it while I worked on the computer, tried again and it slowly rotated right off...

I did not notice any signs of loctite but if there is any I don't think it takes much heat to weaken, maybe a hair dryer for a few seconds. Not into the lens though, I don't know how polycarbonate holds up to heat.

Fathom,

What made you decide to sit on the light?? :thinking: I haven't heard that technique used yet to remove the bezel! LOL - But heck if it works then problem solved (typing with one 120P uncomfortably smashed underneath my butt into the chair) :crackup: