Should I Buy a Titan?

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Save your money. It's a flashlight. $60 flashlights light/work just as well.

IMHO of course. :naughty:

Budman...Budman...Budman....Pllllleeeease!

Really, I get you, but some of us dig expensive, exclusive lights like a Titan or many, many others.

So there! Are we cool?

Happy new Year!

PS...Budman, have a Bud or something.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I believe we think alike, Budman. Not that I don't understand collecting fancy stuff. But, with improvements happening almost daily, I will never believe the Titan's value will increase. On top of that, hasn't it had a multitude of problems?

Geoff

Chief,

There is one on eBay for $975.00, buy it now -- $775 starting bid -- as I type this.

So, I Dont know? That is like, double, Dude, double...Whoa!

As my teen would say: Whatever!

Are we cool...It's all good...everything is fine.

Go over to Budman's and have a Bud! He's buying!

75f1_1.JPG

This is the photo from eBay! I am now using it as my avatar until I get my wife in my studio to take a photo.

Last edited:

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
Chief,

There is one on eBay for $975.00, buy it now -- $775 starting bid -- as I type this.

75f1_1.JPG

This is the photo from eBay! I am now using it as my avatar until I get my wife in my studio to take a photo.

im sure shelby would be soooo proud to know that his pics are used on ebay...

zx7dave

Enlightened
Buy a Titan if you want a very low beam capability with a really smooth and wide flood. These posts about other lights being brighter make me wonder if every one here actually overlooks the functionality of a new vehicle in favor of the highest horsepower for the money when they're buying a new car.

The reason to buy one is if it offers something that the buyer wants that isn't available elsewhere, which the Titan does. You're right about all the problems being had, but it appears that once Surefire took care of them everyone, even Yaesu, seems to be happy.
Another post from someone who decides that any of us who actually like the Titan are rich snobs looking for a toy to show off because we like something for reasons beyond his own sphere of understanding. :ironic:

Before anyone makes any more snide cutdowns to the owners of these lights, go do some reading and actually look for the reasons we like them, and at least try to refrain from insulting us. :thumbsup:
In response...
I do like the light. I do own the light. I do use the light at times even as a EDC. I do appreciate it has more adjustable output settings that I will ever use, but is it worth $500? No...unless you are a collector.
My response was not intended to annoy any owners, simply to state my opinion whaich was the request of the initial thread to get opinions of Titan owners, as well as all CPF members...

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
In response...
I do like the light. I do own the light. I do use the light at times even as a EDC. I do appreciate it has more adjustable output settings that I will ever use, but is it worth $500? No...unless you are a collector.
My response was not intended to annoy any owners, simply to state my opinion whaich was the request of the initial thread to get opinions of Titan owners, as well as all CPF members...
Dave, I can understand your perspective but do you realize how many members here bought them and carry them because they like the combination of the best low on the market (lower than most will use even :tinfoil:), compact size and ease of use.

Still it seems that the fact you EDC yours suggests that they may not just be for collectors. Apparently Yaesu, Bernie, Cy, myself and others are carrying them because the product offers enough value to us as users to cough up the high price of entry.

I don't know, maybe we're both on the same page after all, but my personal feeling is that in addition to being of interest to collectors, there is another group of picky, finicky sorts who just want what they want and to heck with having any money in the bank! That second group is the one I belong to, and not just about lights either! (I'm perpetually broke! :broke::ohgeez:)

In closing just let me say that my Titan is the only light I have with a low setting which actually goes as low as I need it to.

zx7dave

Enlightened
Dave, I can understand your perspective but do you realize how many members here bought them and carry them because they like the combination of the best low on the market (lower than most will use even :tinfoil:), compact size and ease of use.

Still it seems that the fact you EDC yours suggests that they may not just be for collectors. Apparently Yaesu, Bernie, Cy, myself and others are carrying them because the product offers enough value to us as users to cough up the high price of entry.

I don't know, maybe we're both on the same page after all, but my personal feeling is that in addition to being of interest to collectors, there is another group of picky, finicky sorts who just want what they want and to heck with having any money in the bank! That second group is the one I belong to, and not just about lights either! (I'm perpetually broke! :broke::ohgeez:)

In closing just let me say that my Titan is the only light I have with a low setting which actually goes as low as I need it to.

Thanks for the response...My EDC's vary from week to week even day to day. Most of my EDC's are custom Milky creations, so perhaps I judged the Titan too harshly on lumen output. And it is a sweet little light that I would EDC more often except I have the hope to keep it in good shape in the off chance it does raise in value and become more rare. I disagree still that is should sell for as much as it does, but being limited production raises the price. All in all my opinion may be the minority here, but I felt compelled to throw in my 2 cents...

MicroE

Enlightened
In the end, I chose NOT to buy the Titan. Instead, I have bought several Nitecore smart PD's. I might buy the aluminum version of the Titan, if it ever actually ships.

DimmerD

Enlightened
Chief,

75f1_1.JPG

Can you turn that light on!?

Phredd

Enlightened
A buddy offered to sell me a NIB Titan at about $500.
Should I buy it or should I wait for the aluminum version?

Absolutely do not buy your friends Titan. When I first saw the info on the Titan, I practically drooled, and not just because of the photo. :^) I thought the light was just so cool that I had to have one, even though I really couldn't justify the price. I spent the money anyway - my kids think I'm crazy - and I love it! I even took the time to machine the end and polish it.

Since you're ambivalent about the choice between the original Titan and the aluminum T1A, just get the T1A. At less than half the price, it may be brighter, more reliable and use less battery. (Or wait until the T1A comes out and offer your friend $300) hehe

Phredd

AvidHiker

Enlightened
+1 for Phredd's comment.

Bang for the buck? How about offering something truly unique in a very compact size - much of its beauty lies in its simplicity. This is something you can hand to ANYONE and immediately they understand how to use it. All this, and what others have mentioned, adds up to "bang for the buck", IMO.

Other things:

CR2 Titan is slightly smaller than the CR123 aluminum version and can use Li-ion cells (remains to be seen if the aluminum version will accept them).

Threaded tailcap is really handy to stick on a tripod (any tripod with standard 1/4-20 thread) to create an instant task light. It also allows you to use another one of Don's amazing inventions (love this thing). Not sure if the aluminum version has the threaded cap as well, some sites say it does. Also, the quick release lanyard fitting is really neat, IMO, and very secure in my experience (think this is used on the aluminum version as well).

Wider beam (due to shallower reflector I suppose) than most compact lights available (this is a BIG plus for me, perfect for camping).

Sapphire window will never scratch (at the expense of some lumens of course). Only available on the titanium version. Honestly, for an EDC, I don't need this thing to be any brighter than it already is.

Titanium is unsurpassed in terms of resistance to corrosive environments.

Oh, and it matches B@rt's TiGlow perfectly...
TiGlowTitan.jpg

Last edited: