Should I buy an HDS or should I consider something else?

bmcgators98

Enlightened
I currently have an HDS Rotary and have nothing but good things to say about it. However if you are looking for an alternative, I would look into a Peak Logan w/ QTC. Both lights are made in the USA and have a reputation for being bomb proof. Peak takes a different approach opting for simple operation and reliability over programming and other features.

tonkem

Enlightened
I have owned many different kinds and brands of lights, including the HDS High CRI light. While I did like the HDS, I just did not care much for the run time on high. It is guaranteed to run 1.25hours on high, but having surefire lights on hand, specifically E1L and E2L lights, I would find myself going to them, as their run time on high is much longer. Runtime on high for the e1l is around 4.5 hours, and the e2l, around 6 hours. In the end, I wound up selling the HDS in the marketplace, and got all my money back, so they have excellent resale, and also sold the e2l, and kept my e1l. I love the e1l, for the brightness and runtime on high (low runtimes are around 50 hours, as well, on 1 cr123 battery). The e1l is also less expensive then the HDS lights, and have lifetime warranties. I have owned many surefires, mostly e series, and have given many as gifts, and have only had one issue with them, that was dealt with immediately by surefire. I would suggest you try the HDS and see if it works for you, but also see if you like the e1l, but the surefire does not appear to hold it's value as well as the HDS. If you want to see a awesome pocket rocket, but will cost you, then check out the Lupine wilma TL, I have attached a pic vs the surefire e1l to show how small this light is, and puts out 1100 lumens(verified lumens) on high and has a very wide hotspot. Awesome, currently my fav light.

web.jpg

Hope this helps.

Tony

archimedes

Flashaholic
HDS regularly tops polls, thread-counts, and discussions on this board ... for good reason. They are excellent lights.

Initially, I was somewhat reluctant to buy one because I am not generally a fan of electronic switches. I like "low-tech" tools, mechanical clickies are OK, but I prefer twisty switches. Eventually, though, I had to try one simply because of seeing the constant raves and positive comments. Glad I did, because I find it to be an excellent light - very tough, well made, with extremely useful and flexible programmability.

If you are considering HDS, you should also at least consider SureFire, Malkoff, and Peak. Many, many options and models among those makers, of course. And different than the HDS, to be sure, but worthy competitors (or companions) to HDS.

Another point to ponder, if price is an issue at all. I have an older HDS, a 170T, purchased used for far less than a new higher-output model. I feel no need to spend a lot more for a few more lumens in a newer model. In fact, my next HDS was a 100 High-CRI Twisty, and I have been considering an HDS 140GT. (And if anyone reading this has a Ra 85Tr that would like to move, maybe I can help you out :D ). Depends upon your needs and purposes, of course, but these have plenty of output for a wide range of tasks.

Just a couple of my thoughts, for what it might be worth....

mrlysle

Enlightened
I appreciate the fact you want one USA made. I'm a relative newcomer to HDS, only having had my 170t not quite a year now. BUT, I'm sooooo glad I got it. Like all the other folks here, I have many different lights, in many different price ranges, but there's one light I ALWAYS have clipped in my right front pocket. Yep, my HDS 170. I also have the newer HDS rotary coming, (hopefully today or tomorrow!), and will get more HDS lights when I can. They are just incredible lights for the money. You really should get one, to experience it. And like has been said previously, if you decide it doesn't excite you, it will definitely sell over on the Marketplace. Hell, PM me, and I'll buy it! That being said, I recently picked up a Peak Logan QTC, in stainless, and it too, is an American made beauty. Extremely solid, and superb machining/fit/finish. Way less money than an HDS, if you're at all concerned about price, and I imagine most of us are at different times. Either way, you'll have a tool that will last your lifetime, and then some probably. But back strictly on topic, YES, get yourself an HDS!!!!! :devil:

Last edited:

Maxbelg

Enlightened
The HDS is great, I owned two and have sold one. My High CRI is EDCd a lot BUT it is not the only light out there. Depending on your personal preferences there might be more suitable alternatives. I love the E1B and am currently enjoying an E1B with VME head with Malkoff M61HCRIL (available at Illumination Supply). This gives me 1,5 hours of beautiful High CRI goodness on AW RCR123s with more lumens than my HDS on burst. I have run a M60W(30 minutes runtime) in this setup and have a M30W (for CR123 compatibilty) and a M61HCRILL (3 hours runtime) on the way . This P60 compatibility is great!!! You can get a E1B body, tailcap and VME head off CPF Marketplace and run your favorite dropins!!!:wave:

Last edited:

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
Whichever HDS 'light you choose, it is a purchase you will never regret. Yes! You will buy other lights but the HDS will remain a favorite; carrying an HDS gives so many options, it is like having access to several Flashlights, all of the highest quality and in a very sensibly sized package.:party:

Lighteous

Enlightened
A couple months ago I would have said get the HDS hands down no question asked, it has a great UI and is rock solid but... The Zebralight SC600 is king for me, it to is very solid with what I believe is the only light that has a better UI than the HDS. With 750 lumens in your pocket and nearly every output level you could want in between it is very very difficult not to pick this light up off the shelve as your EDC light, HDS is IMO one of the best light's in the world but ever since I got my SC600 my HDS 200 has seen little use, not that I don't appreciate it but like I said with so many lumens coming from the SC600 with such a nice UI and design I can't refuse it.

You did not say it had to be a 1xCR123 and with the money you mention you can get the SC600 and the great Pila charger along with the best 18650's one can buy. (AW or Redilast)

In an attempt to satisfy my anxiety over waiting for the HDS Rotary I had ordered many weeks earlier, I got a tip from the extensive SC600 thread here on CPF that GoingGear had just received in inventory a supply of SC600's and I ordered one. As fortune would have it my Rotary arrived 6 days after I received my SC600. It was a week of flashaholism euphoria! The SC600 was my first ZebraLight and the UI took some getting used to. However, after the awkwardness of learning the ZL UI wore off I couldn't believe how much I liked the SC600. It is extremely bright on its highest setting and it has a myriad of lumen levels to match most any need from the brightest to firefly. The Rotary is also a work of art and worthy of all of the commendation I have read on the various threads dedicated to one or another HDS lights here on CPF. For an EDC in the pocket light, the Rotary is my clear choice. If I am going out for a walk in the dark of night, I'm taking the SC600 (with the Rotary in my pocket as backup). They are both great lights, however, I don't think it is fair to either one that it be directly compared to the other. They are very different lights in many respects. What I will say with with certainty and conviction is that you will not go wrong with either one!

balloonshark

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for your replies! The SC600 Zebralight seems very nice and I'm looking forward to seeing the specs on the future H502 models. I also eventually want to get a high CRI light of some kind so I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

With the help of your posts and encouragement I have ordered a HDS Rotary black with the raised button. I really like having multiple modes and the rotary to control the brightness. I also like the fact that the modes and options can be programmed. I'm looking forward to receiving my new HDS.

Thanks again :).

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
:rock:

Well then OBVIOUSLY there are a great number of my posts you have yet to read.

I have read a few of your post in the past and I feel I was a bit harsh with my comment, sorry, I know the HDS are great lights.

Latest posts