Should I get a Dell or a Gateway?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've had a Dell for about a year, and it's been very good.
That's what I'd get if I were you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But remember, YMMV. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
dell customer service sucks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

i've had a dell for a while and it's had problems fromt he beginning. it gets buggy and freezy. no viruses or anything.

we reformat, and then can't get windows installed. we replace the hardrive...doesn't work.
motherboard...doesn't work...
another motherboard...doesnt work
cd-rw...doesn't work...
another hardrive...doesnt work

dell won't just send a new system! it gets buggy, and we need to reformat...then we can't install windows...
dell needs to cut the crap and just send a new system!!!

even best buy gave my friend a brand new computer after 3 problems. replced a p2 400 with a p3 930!!

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck, if you know what you're doing, and are comfortable with it, just build your system from scratch...

My most stable system continues to be my custom built computer...

The best customer service I've gotten from a computer company is, surprisingly, Sony... My laptop got the royal treatment when its hard drive went **** up... Took me altogether, 6 days from start of sending the laptop to the service center, and for them to fix it and send it back to my door...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

tattoou2

Enlightened
I had a Dell which was problematic from the get-go. Calls to their CS were unsatisfactory until I talked with a head technician who sent me the parts I needed via FedEx. A few days later he called to check if the problems had been fixed. They had been. That was over a year ago and I am now using that same computer. My wife has a Gateway which has never had one glitch or even a stammer going on two years now.

I've heard both good and bad about both companies and their products. For me, it would be a toss-up choosing which, but I would first explore who has the better deal, and if you have a Gateway store near you, it might not hurt to look around and get a feeling first-hand for Gateway products.

Good luck!

Smaug

Newly Enlightened
This is the first I've heard of Dell having less than exemplary customer service.

Dell uses better parts, and the new desktops (towers, at least) have this really cool hinged case to make it easier to dig around.

Gateways don't seem to be as easily expandable as Dells, but I guess that is not such a big deal any more...

The only problem with building your own system is having to pay for the software that comes preinstalled on ready built models. Of course, if you had access to pirated software... Nah, that wouldn't be honest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Naw... Since I'm not a business, one WinXP Prof CD does well for all my comps...

Same thing goes with other software...

itsme1234

Newly Enlightened
You know, you pay for the software when you buy a Dell, too. And you pay more for the same hardware (or same money for less hardware). Sometimes you get _very_ cheap hardware for a lot of money with "brand" computers: for example we have some fast Compaqs/HP with 1.5 G RAM and SCSI drives, but with no BIOS setup on flash. If you want change something very simple, like boot from floppy/cd or to add some hardware or anything you have to go to www.hp.com, write 4 floppies, boot with those floppies. And all of this only to save 10 cents in a 2000 $ PC !

[ QUOTE ]
Smaug said:
The only problem with building your own system is having to pay for the software that comes preinstalled on ready built models. Of course, if you had access to pirated software... Nah, that wouldn't be honest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

TOB9595

Enlightened
I've had, and bought for others, Dells with very good results.
There were times that I had to make several calls on the same topic till I hit the tech that was knowledgeable. There will be potential problems with any company you deal with. Dell is still rated very high tho they are slipping in this tight market.
Dell has some of their own drivers for things like sound cards and video cards that you get with the machine. It can be a bugger to upgrade. The manufacturer, like Turtle Beach, will say to contact dell. Then there's no new driver at dell. Hasn't impacted me much tho, all things considered.
I still recommend the Dell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
People that have Gateway speak as highly of their machines as I do of Dell.
Tom

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i concur with falconfx...the computer i'm using now is an athlon system i built on my own so i was able to choose the individual components according to how i was going to use it. if any problems crop u i'm usually able to pin down the problem and fix it on my own.

a dell/gateway/compaq or any other oem computer is kinda like a maglite whilst a self-assembled computer is like a mclux /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also say: build your own. You get a much better computer that way. A home built computer is fully standards compliant, where OEM systems are not (hardware).

Building your own is extremely easy. Motherboards come with a manual and cases come with labeled connectors for the switches and LEDs. CPUs come with installation instructions (unless it is an OEM cpu).

All you need to do, is take your time and take due care. If you are going to do any programming in XP, you need XP Pro.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Building a PC is the only way to go in my book. You have a lot more underdstanding of how they work afterwards. Windows XP pro(not home) is the only way to go...especially if you are networking. Just my thoughts.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Building a computer is the best way to go if you have the time - I used to build my computers until I got lazy and got a Dell. Used for 1 year with no problems /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Dan

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three Gateway computers at my house. All work perfectly. I did have a problem with the oldest one, and Gateway was there to help. Building a computer is a ton of fun, but if you are going with a Gateway or a Dell, either should be fine.

zmoz

Enlightened
Dell isn't the best in the customer service department, but gateway is much worse. I have several thousand dollars worth of dell products...very reliable. When something does go wrong, although it is hard to understand the "technician" as they call themselves, because dell support is based in Inidia and they don't speak english there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But after a little while they are usually pretty good about sending you out a brand new part...

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
No complaints with my Dell.
No experience with Gateway.

Dell always got the best reviews for both quality and CS in PC Mag and the other reviewing agencies that I check.

star882

Enlightened
150603-dell.JPG