Should there be payment for CPF?

Jorge Banner

Newly Enlightened
BillCurnow said:
That being said, I just now realized you said "had plans" and not "has plans".
Yup, I did. I'm obviously taking this in jest. There is no reason to get truculent and start "blowing" peoples credibility or any other part of their anatomy :laughing:. We are just exchanging ideas and we probably can do it in good humor and camaraderie. I always suggest to folks to try and place things on a scale and calculate their real importance, before blowing a fuse and letting tempers flare.

On another matter, it might be good that I point out the fact the English is not my mother tongue, so I do apologize in advance for any mistakes I might make.

SenKat

Enlightened
Jorge Banner said:
On another matter, it might be good that I point out the fact the English is not my mother tongue, so I do apologize in advance for any mistakes I might make.

Your English sounds better than most of us BORN here - don't let anyone tell you different ! You had me going on that email thing though...I thought you were serious ! (DOH !) Or should I rephrase that ? (STOOOPID ME !) LOL:goodjob:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Sasha said:
This has been posted many, many times over the years... but I'll post it once again.. as it still stands...

>>>>THERE WILL NEVER BE A MANDATORY FEE TO BE A MEMBER OF CANDLEPOWERFORUMS<<<<

And this is good. Very good. For a lot of reasons, most important for CPF itself.
bernie

Perfectionist

Enlightened
This question crops up regularly (by overly do-gooder members !!) on most Forums ..... what they forget is the very reason any Forum gets popular is precisely because it is free !!

If this place started charging fees (no matter how small) ..... people would leave in droves and inevitabley another FREE Forum would appear which would take over where CPF left off !!

There is always the option for happy users to make a contribution voluntarily if they wish ..... basically, it ain't broken so don't try and fix it !! :D

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sasha said:
This has been posted many, many times over the years... but I'll post it once again.. as it still stands...

>>>>THERE WILL NEVER BE A MANDATORY FEE TO BE A MEMBER OF CANDLEPOWERFORUMS<<<<

:sold::rock::rock::rock::rock: its expensive enough just reading here as it is :grin2: making people pay would actually save my wallet if i wasnt here

Jorge Banner

Newly Enlightened
SenKat said:
Your English sounds better than most of us BORN here
That's kind of you, SenKat. Not true. But kind, thanks. I do try to improve myself, though.

dalekcommander

Newly Enlightened
Sigman said:
There's a link right at the top of the CPF menu bar that's not any harder to read than the "Log Out" or "Search" or "New Posts".

Simple instructions at the bottom of that linked page on how to donate. :thumbsup:

Geez, another reason I'm not a detective. Only been hanging out here for about a month or so and never saw it.
Donation made, small, but more to come. I like that I can do that at will. A monthly fee would too constricting - need an exact amount on a certain day....
I like this better. Sasha said there will never be a charge and that is fine, so I'll make use of the donation option more often. Anything to help the cause.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nereus said:
My basic idea is "pay to become a CPF member" and IIRC you can not post without being a member (point 1). But you can read forums without being a member and get lot of answers to your questions.(point 2)
-N
Please explain to me the connection between point 1 and 2
and why anyone, not already a member, would be willing to join, + to pay, for being allowed to ask?

nonsense, and death to a forum. Glad the mods see it that way. too :rolleyes:

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
One unintended consequence of going pay for read is that your site will be come invisible. No longer will your sites important content be earning you slots in search engines. Thus you will simply not exist to the outside world.

cutlerylover

Banned
I think it would eb good if CPF had some donations more often, thats all...more money to go to more bandwidth so that the server is not busy all the time...Like on knifeforums...when you sell somethgin on there...there is a honor system that you donate a dollar or two from the sale...If everyone did that then CPF woudl be nice and fast and have enough memory to accomidate everyone interested...

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nereus said:
:) And I would like to become a CPF supporter, but with an annual payment...

-N
I'm on board with this idea. I'd rather donate $25-$50-$100 and have it be good for a whole year without having to think about it expiring every 30 days.

I'm not sure of the hosting environment, but would donating equipment help at all? I've got a P4-3.2GHz, 8 channel SATA RAID 5 (room for 8 more drives) , 2TB file server that I don't use. Maybe it's low on horsepower, but the chassis and storage subsystem are excellent. This might not do any good if CPF is hosted on leased or rented equipment.

Last edited: