Silly question

mkphc

Newly Enlightened
I have a P1D and I have a D-mini, when i bought the P1-D i bought AW's 3.0 v rcr cells and then i bought the D- mini and read that the D-mini "likes" the 3.7 v rcr cells and that the higher the voltage the more efficent it works?

My question is this:
When I use the 3.7 in either light the light runs alot cooler (the 3.o is very hot) and I was wondering if someone could help me understand this heat difference. And if there is any danger?

Also will the higher voltage damage either light?

Thanks,
Mike

hmm ok the D-mini was SOLD to work with either.
it should run hotter/brighter with less runtime with a rechargable li-ion 3.6V type of cell. the d-mini runs about 2x with the extra voltage, and about 1/2 the runtime.

i think your second paragraph is reversed?

If the heat of the led is not being removed fast enough, then prefer to use the rechargable more on an intermitant basis, or at the lower levels, then it wont get too hot.

When you FEEL a lot of heat, and the light gets hot, that can indicate that its heat sincked good, because the heat must LEAVE the light.
because your hand can be a place for heat to depart to, it might be unwise to leave the light LOOSE running when it gets hot like that.
so a runtime test might be you walking your cat or something, as opposed to leaving the light in the middle of the table overheating the led.

Last edited:
Let me try and put it a different way,

Why does the 3.7v rcr run cooler, and brighter, and longer? Even if the Fenix isn't rated for 3.7v, it seems to run cool, where as the 3.0v rcr runs hott?

I understand what you mean about exchanging heat through my hand but when both lights run much cooler, brighter, and longer with higher voltages it seems like a paradox, as if it should run opposite, hotter with more voltage?
Mike

If a higher voltage battery is running cooler while giving more light, then either that cell is built much more efficiently (with less internal resistance metals and layers), or the 3V battery is just a hotter running battery normally...from whatever design parameters it has....or it is a lesser quality.....or it has some borderline internal problems developing.

Excessive heat can be one sign of an imminent battery failure. I have used a LiSun 3.0V disposable Lithium, and it does not run hotter than my 3.7V Li-Ion Rechargeable put in the same light.