Since this is the Café... do you like tea or coffee?

Do you prefer coffee or tea?

• I drink only tea.

Votes: 20 19.0%
  • I mostly drink tea, sometimes coffee.

Votes: 16 15.2%
  • I like both just as much.

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • I mostly drink coffee, sometimes tea.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I drink only coffee.

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Neither, gimme my beer!

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

CLHC

Flashaholic
On this Sunday when sleet's falling in my neck of the woods:

Caffé Corretto

Enjoy!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
New hardware

xJHocPA.jpg

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man StarHalo, I literally just bought that Fino pour over kettle last week on Amazon for pour overs! I've been doing pour overs forever, but until now just carefully dumped a hot cup of water into my little Melitta plastic pour over filter holder. This thing is so much better though and it heats up so fast on a stove. How's that Kalita pour over? Is that for making whole pots of coffee? Those filters look pretty big.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Is that for making whole pots of coffee? Those filters look pretty big.

Totally misleading pic because of the perspective; the pour-over/filters are maybe the size of a child's teacup, about enough volume to fit a billiard ball and that's it. Word has it that each pour-over has a "sweet spot" of total volume/how much coffee you make, so I got the one person size for my one cup. I'm using the Cho method downscaled for this size and I think I'm already hitting the limitations of my beans, this coffeemaker is meant for serious competition-grade varietals with big overtones and nuance, the quite-good fresh roast that works boldly enough in the french press isn't notably different here. It's closer to the taste and gravity of what my coffee shop makes, which is what I was going for overall, but it can clearly be taken farther..

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Totally misleading pic because of the perspective; the pour-over/filters are maybe the size of a child's teacup, about enough volume to fit a billiard ball and that's it. Word has it that each pour-over has a "sweet spot" of total volume/how much coffee you make, so I got the one person size for my one cup. I'm using the Cho method downscaled for this size and I think I'm already hitting the limitations of my beans, this coffeemaker is meant for serious competition-grade varietals with big overtones and nuance, the quite-good fresh roast that works boldly enough in the french press isn't notably different here. It's closer to the taste and gravity of what my coffee shop makes, which is what I was going for overall, but it can clearly be taken farther..

Cool. I'm going to probably have to get either that dripper or the V60 that seems to be used everywhere too. Do you drip into a coffee carafe/pot or do you pour over directly into a mug? I currently just sit my little plastic melitta pour over on my mug and let it go directly into that. I'm not that big into the intricacies of "competition pour overs," but I think I'll do that more just because it seems fun :)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The weights and measures may seem excessive, but you may have noticed from time to time that your cup tastes better than usual on a particular day; measuring everything is just a way to get that same result every time. Plus you refine what works and what doesn't over time, small singular changes make it easy to see what difference the change makes, like water temperature, grind size. Over the course of many days you get to the point where every aspect is dead on perfect and every cup you make is at the limit of what the maker is capable of.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The weights and measures may seem excessive, but you may have noticed from time to time that your cup tastes better than usual on a particular day; measuring everything is just a way to get that same result every time. Plus you refine what works and what doesn't over time, small singular changes make it easy to see what difference the change makes, like water temperature, grind size. Over the course of many days you get to the point where every aspect is dead on perfect and every cup you make is at the limit of what the maker is capable of.

How do you like that Kalita pour over so far? What beans do you like to use? I generally like lighter roast coffee's, but don't have any particular one. Also do you use a burr/hand grinder? I know people talk about the importance of grind consistency, but I don't know if I want to get another grinder just yet. I have a little electric grinder that works pretty well, but doesn't get perfectly even grinds 100 percent. I'm pretty okay with it though.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
What beans do you like to use?

Fresh roast only; don't know if you read my bit on beans on the previous page, but the best, most expensive store shelf coffee in a $1,000 coffee machine doesn't taste as good as fresh roasted coffee from a $10 dollar store drip unit. The two best coffees at your local store are Starbucks Caffe Verona and Peet's Major ****ason's Blend, and both will taste like mud versus any recent fresh roast coffee. It's worth paying to get it through the mail if you don't have a local roaster.

I use a Capresso Infinity burr grinder, it's nearly as good as the $200 models for half that price.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't stand coffee...just the smell of it usually makes me want to puke.

I drink a lot of tea...my favorite is jasmine tea, but English Breakfast tea is also great...in fact, I'm really not too picky about tea varieties...I like to try different ones and have several favorites. The hardest one for me to get used to was oolong...I still don't like it as much as others. There is something called "barley tea" in Japan (maybe elsewhere, but I've only seen it in Japan)...it is very strange -- it tastes like wheat cereal has been infused in the tea. i.e. If you've ever eaten Honey Smacks cereal, well that's exactly what this tea tastes like except unsweetened...it's an acquired taste, but pretty good once you get used to it.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fresh roast only; don't know if you read my bit on beans on the previous page, but the best, most expensive store shelf coffee in a $1,000 coffee machine doesn't taste as good as fresh roasted coffee from a $10 dollar store drip unit. The two best coffees at your local store are Starbucks Caffe Verona and Peet's Major ****ason's Blend, and both will taste like mud versus any recent fresh roast coffee. It's worth paying to get it through the mail if you don't have a local roaster.

I use a Capresso Infinity burr grinder, it's nearly as good as the $200 models for half that price.

Interesting. What fresh coffee do you get online? Is it a subscription service type thing? I typed roasting your own coffee into google and you can get little roasters for 100-200 dollars. That would be interesting to try. I don't think I'll do that anytime soon, but I'll have to read up on that more.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Interesting. What fresh coffee do you get online? Is it a subscription service type thing? I typed roasting your own coffee into google and you can get little roasters for 100-200 dollars. That would be interesting to try. I don't think I'll do that anytime soon, but I'll have to read up on that more.

I have two coffee shops that roast/sell their own nearby, but one of them also sells through the mail if you'd like to give the real thing a try.

I'm saving home roasting for a rainy day, I already have too many hobbies..

I drink a lot of tea...my favorite is jasmine tea, but English Breakfast tea is also great...in fact, I'm really not too picky about tea varieties...

Any chai in there?

CLHC

Flashaholic
It's been a while since I've brewed coffee via the this method, but for this Saturday I'm giving it another go 'round:

Enjoy!

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any chai in there?

Well....I drank a lot of what Iraqis refer to as "chai" when I was in Iraq, but when they say it, they just mean regular tea...like literally Lipton tea, at least that's what it tasted like....extremely heavily sweetened.

I had "spiced chai" with milk over ice almost every day there from the Green Bean kiosks they had there...very refreshing when it's 138F outside...:)

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm saving home roasting for a rainy day, I already have too many hobbies..

If you have a good roaster, it's not worth it other than as a hobby.

It's been a while since I've brewed coffee via the this method, but for this Saturday I'm giving it another go 'round:

Ahh, the coffee siphon. I used to have one of those, was the cleanest tasting coffee I've had. Just fantastic. Lot of effort in the cleaning but worth it

CLHC

Flashaholic
Ahh, the coffee siphon. I used to have one of those, was the cleanest tasting coffee I've had. Just fantastic. Lot of effort in the cleaning but worth it
It sure is. It takes/took me more than a few tries to get it brewed to my liking. When family and friends come over and wanting that "cup of Joe," I'll brew using this method for "entertainment" purposes.

Latest posts