Sinful Snacks

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Choclate has to be good for you...

It wouldn't taste so good otherwise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually just read in Men's Health Magazine that Dark Chocolate has been found to actually reduce one's risk of developing diabetes. It's too bad I don't like the stuff....Milk Chocolate on the other hand....mmmmmmm....I eat it several times week, sometimes daily.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Trashman said:
I actually just read in Men's Health Magazine that Dark Chocolate has been found to actually reduce one's risk of developing diabetes. It's too bad I don't like the stuff....Milk Chocolate on the other hand....mmmmmmm....I eat it several times week, sometimes daily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's some other benefits ...

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a chocolate snob yet, but I'm working on it. Hershey's dark is fine by me. Cookies are my weakness. Last week I tried Dove's chocolate cookies. Oh, my those are wonderful.

El Rey single bean Venezuelan Carenero Superior 70% cacao chocolate bars have a nice high ping to the palate.

Santander single bean Columbian 70% cacao chocolate bars have a fuller, more even impact on the palate. They have a 65% bar also.

No, I'll never be a chocolate snob because of one thing I know to be true. I could no more pass by a big warm fluffy homemade brownie than I could a bag of half price U bins.

-------------

- Jeff

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:
El Rey single bean Venezuelan Carenero Superior 70% cacao chocolate bars have a nice high ping to the palate.

Santander single bean Columbian 70% cacao chocolate bars have a fuller, more even impact on the palate. They have a 65% bar also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where does one find these exotic-sounding bars? I've seen a lot of imported bars at one of those import stores and most of those were products of Belgium if memory serves.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks like a reputable site: Chocosphere

I may have to try them out. They have a great price on the Santanders. ($1.65) I usually pay double that in the local hoytee toytee coffee shop. Of course those folks running the coffee shop along with their customers are an engaging and unique bunch of personalities. I stop in once a week. Often I'll get a free sample of something they are trying out while sipping an expresso and solving the problems of the world.

Anyway, Chocosphere is easy to navigate and has chocolates I've never heard of.

***EDIT*** sloegin found it.
-------------

- Jeff

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of cookies! Im a sucker for Pizookies from BJs Pizza! They take a warm cookie about 6'' in diameter, bake it so its crunchy on the outside edge and soft on the inside. Then they top it with vanilla ice cream...what are they doing to me!!

The other day I had some Tempura fried bananas, with vanilla ice cream, nutella, and strawberries, dusted with powdered suger.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now this guy's gotta go and remind me of Famous Amos choc chip cookies. I'd like half a kilo of the double choc ones please!

I love a good waffle too. Bring on the butter and the maple syrup. This is more along the lines of breakfast but I find it equally suitable for evenings too. Or ice cream on top. Choc sauce or Irish cream if you've survived your 2 and 1/10th decades here.

I always say if you have to go, go happy!! Eat up!

Life is too short to waste calories on bad food.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chocosphere is legit. I have bought from them twice. The first time, they called to tell me I was selecting an uneccesarily expensive shipping option. Classy!

Anyway, my first foray in to chocolate snobbery is Andrea Slitti of Tuscany, Italy, which got rave reviews from chocophile.com. I have tried Lattenero (milk) and Gran Cacao (dark) bars in different cocoa percentages. I found that I prefer Lattenero in the 45-50% cocoa range. The 70%+ Gran Cacao is smooth but not sweet enough to maintain my interest. I like milk in chocolate to smooth it out.

The downside of being a snob, besides boring the hell out of everybody, is you won't be satisfied with Hershey's or Nestle or Mars again. Kinda like going back to a 2D Mag after using a Surefire M6. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh, Lightraven. I see we have a connoisseur in the house. I was looking at those then the Michel Cluizel France Estate-Origin Chocolate Bars got my attention. Not just single country but single planation. I was tempted by the sampler.

---------

- Jeff

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oooo, somebody mention waffles?? i LOVE a real thick Belgian waffle with the malt batter and real dark maple syrup... I tend to be a traditionalist when it comes to pancake or waffle toppings. Butter and syrup and a side of sausage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, this bowl of cereal here in front of me no longer looks so good...

JanCPF

Enlightened
In a supermarket just 5 minittes from my home they carry most flavors of Valrhona.

Must resist, MUST RESIST /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif - ooh what the heck. As I said: Dark Chocolate is *not* sinful so where did I put those car keys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

'Valrhona Caraibe 66% Cocoa' is exceptionally good. It's got just the right touch of bittersweet and a slight hint of acidity as if it contained some lime or lemon. Yummy - I'm of to the store /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jan

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Hearing about all of these exotic brands of chocolate makes me feel pretty pedestrian in my tastes. I'll have to do some exploring into these brands.