Single AA headlamp: any recommendations?

Boko

Newly Enlightened
You could use a red Photon Microlight velcroed to the headband for the red maybe.

deltabravo88

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate these comments!

I'm replying to this thread since I'm also on the lookout for a single AA (or 14500) powered headlamp, with long runtimes between charges/battery replacement and a unit that offers the best red light or darkness-adaptive vision protective option, ideally... (I'm learning about that) .... Those are my priorities, in that order.
I've searched through the CPF forum posts and investigated the suggestions made by commenters.

So far, I've zeroed in on the Streamlight Sidewinder Compact 2 and the Klarus H1A. I see Rainy's comment, a few above mine, mentions the Sidewinder Compact, but I'm not seeing much else about this headlamp so far. Both this particular Streamlight and the Klarus are pricey units. There isn't much talk of the Klarus H1A, maybe since it's newer, but I can't locate the cheaper, newly announced aluminum version for sale. I notice that the Thrunite TH20 has come up several times in the conversation, though it has no red option--but from what I'm reading, its lowest light setting should be ok for protecting night vision adaptiveness.

Any new thoughts or ideas on these headlamps I mention or any other that meets these criteria? I'd sure appreciate some input or recommendations about these units or any others that you can compare to these. I'm really locked in on AA/rechargeable or the 14500 option, just to reiterate that. I've selected AA in order to consolidate my battery-operated needs and I want to stick to it, for better or worse... I'm also wanting long runtimes and the red option if at all possible.

~dB

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sidewinder is not really a head lamp is more of a modern interpretation of the 90 degree lights used in the war. You more like hang it on your vest or gear. But is a very versatile light and probably the best there is since Surefire does not make anything close to it. CR123 and AA capability, lots of colors to chose from, is awesome.

colight

Enlightened
I appreciate these comments!

I'm replying to this thread since I'm also on the lookout for a single AA (or 14500) powered headlamp, with long runtimes between charges/battery replacement and a unit that offers the best red light or darkness-adaptive vision protective option, ideally... (I'm learning about that) .... Those are my priorities, in that order.
I've searched through the CPF forum posts and investigated the suggestions made by commenters.

Any new thoughts or ideas on these headlamps I mention or any other that meets these criteria? I'd sure appreciate some input or recommendations about these units or any others that you can compare to these. I'm really locked in on AA/rechargeable or the 14500 option, just to reiterate that. I've selected AA in order to consolidate my battery-operated needs and I want to stick to it, for better or worse... I'm also wanting long runtimes and the red option if at all possible.

~dB

Hi deltabravo88. You mention single AA, and long runtimes... You don't say how long the run times should be, but if you can settle for 2 AA, I can recommend the HL30 2018 from Fenix. It has a red light, but in case the 1 lumen red is too low, the white at 4 lumens on Low should do. It doesn't have recharging ability, but you can always buy rechargeable batteries.

WDR65

Enlightened
The Sidewinder is not really a head lamp is more of a modern interpretation of the 90 degree lights used in the war. You more like hang it on your vest or gear. But is a very versatile light and probably the best there is since Surefire does not make anything close to it. CR123 and AA capability, lots of colors to chose from, is awesome.

The Sidewinder II is a very neat concept and perhaps the one I own is the exception but it has terrible parasitic drain. I don't keep a battery in it unless I plan on using it that day because of this. Its also a bit bulky in headlamp form.