sizing question on boring bar inserts

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a good deal on an Ultra-Dex 1/4" boring bar, so I can cut the pockets for drivers. It is brand new, still shrink-wrapped, but without an insert. It is the bar S04G SCLDR1.5. Says it takes the CDGW 1.510 insert.

I bet I know why this bar was cheap, those inserts are expensive! My question is on the sizing of the insert. Is a 1.510.5 or a 1.511 physically the same size as a 1.510? That last number states radius of cutting surface, correct?

~D

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I found a good deal on an Ultra-Dex 1/4" boring bar, so I can cut the pockets for drivers. It is brand new, still shrink-wrapped, but without an insert. It is the bar S04G SCLDR1.5. Says it takes the CDGW 1.510 insert.

I bet I know why this bar was cheap, those inserts are expensive! My question is on the sizing of the insert. Is a 1.510.5 or a 1.511 physically the same size as a 1.510? That last number states radius of cutting surface, correct?

~D

Check out the Carbide Depot for information about the insert designations as well as for cheap inserts. ( I don't see that exact one at carbide depot.

Go to http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm to see what the numbers mean. The final 1 indicates the radius on the tip in 1/64 of an inch. 0 is sharp, .5 is 1/128th, 1 is 1/64th

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I use a 1/2" solid carbide UltraDex for all flashlight boring. Inserts run about $10 each (aluminum specific) & last a long time.

UltraDex tech support should be able to help answer your questions.