• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sky Lumen Nguyen Pre-Order & Serial Reserve

Bronco

Enlightened
Do you guys think batch 3 of 6061, skip adolyned and bead blast to may be drop 75 bucks be worth the money?

Part of me thinks it's a no-brainer from a business perspective to explore the 6061 route since the change would have such a negligible impact on the light's performance, while also allowing you to save the consumer roughly 30%.

Then the other part of me thinks about just how stoked all us early adopters are to have a 'spare no expense' 7075 host heading our way. :D

But ultimately the decision has to come down to what will most help you grow your brand at this critical early stage. And in that regard, I don't see how you can pass on the opportunity to offer the 6061 model and deliver to your customer such a substantial cost saving - particularly when all your incredible torture tests were conducted with the 6061 host anyway.

Besides, switching to a 6061 based SLN would in no way preclude you from doing future runs of 7075 "SLN Extremes". If it's possible to maintain a limited stock of both, then your customers can vote with their wallets. But I can't think of any reason why giving people a less expensive option would be a bad thing.

daffy

Enlightened
Part of me thinks it's a no-brainer from a business perspective to explore the 6061 route since the change would have such a negligible impact on the light's performance, while also allowing you to save the consumer roughly 30%.

Then the other part of me thinks about just how stoked all us early adopters are to have a 'spare no expense' 7075 host heading our way. :D

But ultimately the decision has to come down to what will most help you grow your brand at this critical early stage. And in that regard, I don't see how you can pass on the opportunity to offer the 6061 model and deliver to your customer such a substantial cost saving - particularly when all your incredible torture tests were conducted with the 6061 host anyway.

Besides, switching to a 6061 based SLN would in no way preclude you from doing future runs of 7075 "SLN Extremes". If it's possible to maintain a limited stock of both, then your customers can vote with their wallets. But I can't think of any reason why giving people a less expensive option would be a bad thing.
Good advice me thinks.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 to Bronco

All my future SLNs will probably be the 7075, but a $75 drop in price is something you can't ignore. And yeah, we aren't really losing that much "durability"- if any!

I also like the bead blast. I prefer that texture honestly and combined with the Adolyned interior holy moley does that look like an incredibly high quality device!

Last edited:
Wow... that bead blasted 007 edition is STUNNING! Talk about a stealthy, military look! A priceless gem, really.

You should try a blue cerakote clip to perfectly match the blue rubber button!

Samlittle

Enlightened
All great replies ^ these last 5 - and good ideas. Especially like these BB versions, though my shiny raw is no slouch and will just get better with age. Bonus - might boost the output of the mule! All better than good Vinh.

Still hoping for photos, beam shots and details of the finished SLNs in owner's hands.

Sam

Patriot

Flashaholic

+1 to everything that Bill said. I completely agree.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: Sky Lumen Nguyen Pre-Order & Serial Reserve

I think that, in general, consumer goods can compete primarily on price, or on quality, but the middle ground can be much more challenging. Not impossible, but difficult.

Saving "a few bucks" on enthusiast gear, is not generally a huge market.

Options are always good, but if you have to focus and make tough choices ....

Just IMHO, YMMV, etc, etc :shrug:

I saved up for just short of twenty years to get Swarovski binoculars.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic

As crazy as this may seem, I find myself prioritizing purchases (especially of durable tools and gear) based on where I expect likely future quality cuts to occur ... :crazy:

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Do you guys think batch 3 of 6061, skip adolyned and bead blast to may be drop 75 bucks be worth the money?

Being able to get into a SLN light host for $175, without sacrificing any significant/practical quality, would be very cool and I don't think these concessions would give up any important characteristics. I'd probably buy another and put a cost effective engine in it.

EDIT:
Archi, I'm not sure how long you've had the 8x42SLC but congratulations on a wonderful optic! I've owned 10x42, 10x50 and 15x56SLC's in the past. I presently own 15x56HD, 10x42EL, 8x32SV, and 8x25CL's from Swarovski. They're all wonderful and really add another dimension to my time outdoors.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I will consider all discussed points with with my team to see if its worth it to do a "budget batch 3". If that does happened its a good thing that the tortures were done on 6061 so everything should still remain relevant.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I have decided to install the 3 body Orings and 2 extra water resistance Oring on the inner ends of the body on all shipped SLN. Several dollars more what the heck!

archimedes

Flashaholic

.... Archi, I'm not sure how long you've had the 8x42SLC but congratulations on a wonderful optic! I've owned 10x42, 10x50 and 15x56SLC's in the past. I presently own 15x56HD, 10x42EL, 8x32SV, and 8x25CL's from Swarovski. They're all wonderful and really add another dimension to my time outdoors.

I think I am happiest enjoying the quiet outdoors, unfortunately not nearly as often as I'd like.

Quite an impressive selection of Swaros you've listed, which would take me approximately eighty years to afford (lol)

I've not had my 8x42's long, but they bring me absolute joy every time I look through them :D Pretty sure they will outlast me, I'd hope.

My hands and eyes are too old and shaky to appreciate the higher power you have in binoculars, but I also have some nice Leupold spotting scope glass when I really need to reach out there.

Cheers, my friend !

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I feel the body Orings complete the lights. Just have to include it to the base light.
Here are final photos of the Shipping SLN
Notice the innner Orings are fatter for extra water resistant
The outers are thinner for ease of threading and future twisty operations

u6D2Lbi.jpg

w2D1zZf.jpg

28QS1r8.jpg

PVAOkER.jpg

eBQYTOV.jpg

n4YTtfi.jpg

mfxLZmN.jpg

mX5ZWSk.jpg

Latest posts