SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

MarioJP

Enlightened
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

I like the fact that the mains you are able to get it replaced easily should one need a replacement. Some mainstream chargers (excluding 12v ones) should you need a replacement. Good luck with that.

usrnam

Newly Enlightened
So the only difference between the plug versions is the cord that plugs into the power supply?

I would need a power cord with this type of plugin connection?

41uOZgYvHgL._SY355_.jpg

Or

CBLAPTOPCORD_3PRONG-2.jpg

Last edited:

MarioJP

Enlightened
Years ago many items for use around the home were manufactured to last at least 30 years. As an example, I use to have a small mid 50s refrigerator that was still running like when new after 50 years. Whereas modern appliances often fail sometime just after their warranty period.

Most electronics are following the same trend, where you're required to replace them every so often.

See, i don't worry stuff like that. Being an early adopter has it's risks but so does the rewards. Its like you agreed the moment you hit submit order. Its a game of chance[emoji14]:p

usrnam

Newly Enlightened
Yes, a game chance is like a wager. However, I don't like making wagers with electronics and other equipment. I want the electronics and related equipment working when it's needed.

Last edited:

tjh

Enlightened
I have an Opus BT-C3100 that was running normally. While plugging in the power supply I noticed a spark from the DC plug. After plugging in and out a few time to further investigate what was going on the FAN hasn't yet once stopped. I allowed the charger to sit overnight (room temperatures in the 50s deg F.) plugging it in without any batteries installed the FAN continually runs.

According to the manual the fan is suppose to turn on when internal or battery temperatures reach 40 deg. C (104 deg. F.).

Fan running all the time doesn't seem to have an effect on the charging, however I'm concerned about the charger being able to read the correct battery temperatures for charging the batteries.

The DC plug sparking indicates there's something potentially wrong with the charger's DC power input.
Wrong thread?

MarioJP

Enlightened

Is there a way to have the charger on a timed trickle charge and stops after the time is up? That way i can have the cells topped off and not overcharge. I like the fact that you can configure trickle charging.

Thanks.

tjh

Enlightened

Is there a way to have the charger on a timed trickle charge and stops after the time is up? That way i can have the cells topped off and not overcharge. I like the fact that you can configure trickle charging.

Thanks.

When the MC3000 terminates NIMH, it terminates because it detected -dv/dt, that is the drop of voltage of the cell because the cell is full. There is no requirement for a top-off charge. Only chargers that terminate when a particular voltage is reached (v1.48 or so usually) require a top-off charge, because terminating at that voltage means the cell is quite full, but not totally.

So you don't need a top-off charge, your cell doesn't need topping off, it's full.

Anyway, Kreisl posted here how maybe to emulate it (the second bit) - I haven't tested.

MarioJP

Enlightened

When the MC3000 terminates NIMH, it terminates because it detected -dv/dt, that is the drop of voltage of the cell because the cell is full. There is no requirement for a top-off charge. Only chargers that terminate when a particular voltage is reached (v1.48 or so usually) require a top-off charge, because terminating at that voltage means the cell is quite full, but not totally.

So you don't need a top-off charge, your cell doesn't need topping off, it's full.

Anyway, Kreisl posted here how maybe to emulate it (the second bit) - I haven't tested.
Here i thought that the end of charge is to stop the high current from whatever method the charger uses , and trickle charge is to top off if you want full capacity. Unless trickle charge is meant for high self-discharge cells that seems to be fading these days.

HKJ

Flashaholic

Here i thought that the end of charge is to stop the high current and trickle charge is to top it off if you want full capacity. Unless trickle charge is meant for high self-discharge cells that seems to be fading these days.

Top-off is to fill a cell after voltage termination.
Trickle charge is to maintain the cell full, but is not really recommended for NiMH, it was more for NiCd

diablo266

Newly Enlightened

I just stumbled upon the Hitec X4 Advanced here

Looks pretty similar? Is this basically the same charger?

Hitec-X4-Advanced-Charger-770x392.jpg

tjh

Enlightened

Well, given that it doesn't support Li-Ion etc (in fact it only supports AA and AAA), only has 3 buttons instead of 4 and a fixed LCD whereas the MC3000 draws itself totally (no boxes etc), no port for USB computer control, the answer is a pretty clear "No!".

I would say however it's a re-brand of the SkyRC NC2500

JB

Enlightened

Here i thought that the end of charge is to stop the high current from whatever method the charger uses , and trickle charge is to top off if you want full capacity. Unless trickle charge is meant for high self-discharge cells that seems to be fading these days.

I guess whether a trickle charge is needed or not depends on the charging algorithm.

Hmm... interesting point by tjh about charging of nimh batteries. If using the dv/dt method results in a full cell already then there doesn't seem to be a need for trickle charging. I do notice that when charging nimh batteries in the MC3000, when the charging terminates the cell voltage is often above 1.50V but after some rest it will come down.

tjh

Enlightened

I guess whether a trickle charge is needed or not depends on the charging algorithm.

Hmm... interesting point by tjh about charging of nimh batteries. If using the dv/dt method results in a full cell already then there doesn't seem to be a need for trickle charging. I do notice that when charging nimh batteries in the MC3000, when the charging terminates the cell voltage is often above 1.50V but after some rest it will come down.

This is the neat thing about this charger though - you could set it to terminate at 1.48v and then trickle charge. You don't have to use -dv/dt if you don't want to, you could do a voltage termination and then a trickle charge, as per the link previously posted.

Why you'd want to do this, I don't know. But you have the flexibility with this charger to do it, if you feel it's a better/safer/cell-life-preserving method.

Suarez

Newly Enlightened

(...wow, tjh, that was fast ;-)

Also my opinion, it´s exactly a SkyRC NC2500 in a "rebranded" version. The NC2500 comes without the LiIo functionality and all the other neat stuff
like the "Advanced Mode" in MC3000...

The Hitec X4 (SkyRC NC2500) looks kind of similar, but spoken generally the MC3000 is a completely different charger with all the functionality of the NC2500 still included.

Hitec-X4-Advanced-Charger-770x392.jpg

Last edited:

JB

Enlightened

Well, given that it doesn't support Li-Ion etc (in fact it only supports AA and AAA), only has 3 buttons instead of 4 and a fixed LCD whereas the MC3000 draws itself totally (no boxes etc), no port for USB computer control, the answer is a pretty clear "No!".

I would say however it's a re-brand of the SkyRC NC2500

Well spotted there!

JB

Enlightened

This is the neat thing about this charger though - you could set it to terminate at 1.48v and then trickle charge. You don't have to use -dv/dt if you don't want to, you could do a voltage termination and then a trickle charge, as per the link previously posted.

Why you'd want to do this, I don't know. But you have the flexibility with this charger to do it, if you feel it's a better/safer/cell-life-preserving method.

Indeed, I do like the MC3000 for all the options and functions it provides. Allows you to setup the charger to your own preference.

MarioJP

Enlightened

I am about to have a second one very soon. And this completes my 2's lol HKE is pretty fast service. I thought i would have to wait until Feb but guess not i was told that my unit will arrive on thursday. Wow, what A turbo fast delivery.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

A random share, inspired by a youtube clip i ordered the inexpensive item as accessory. Mine's from FT but it's also available thru DX and BG:

Comes in blister packaging, pseudo retail-ready:

Switch, material, build quality feels okay, adequate i would say. Should serve the purpose well, eliminating the need of plugging/unplugging the mains adapter and eliminating the standby current draw of the connected adapter-charger-system. Also, with this item installed (and in the OFF "0" position), the order of connecting mains cable to wall outlet, and adapter plug to charger input, doesn't matter anymore: you connect the 2 cables of the adapter in any order to mains and charger, then you press the red switch to the ON "1" position.
( If you didn't get these instructions, lemme show in another youtube clip. :crackup: )

Apart from the fake CE symbol, the label says "WWW.gamebox HK" and "5A — 250-". The latter could be a rating, i dunno.

I noticed that it is easier (less force) to press the switch to OFF "0" position and a bit harder (more force) to press it to ON "1" position. It's just an observation, not a bug, not a feature, lol. Is it a safe product, a safe switch? Well, as mentioned, the CE symbol is faked. And basically you're switching directly a 230V AC mains line. I don't know what kind of sparks and whatnot the switching produces inside and for sure it has no spark mitigation or over-voltage protection inside. Let's assume that it's just a primitive switch, directly operating on your 230V AC mains line. You decide how safe you'd find such a ting. Yes, ting.

Ting ting! :devil:

:poof: