SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

HKJ

Flashaholic

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

maybe this is the official website for end consumer? -> http://www.unbatteries.com/
i am guessing that one could build a DIY adapter for this exotic battery in mc3k slot, similar to the Kentli charger's positive terminal:

DSC_6420.jpg

(photo credit HKJ)

Today i am testing FW1.14beta with DEXbeta, the LTO got implemented just fine in either software, debugging now. Since i have no real LTO battery, i made a substitute sufficient for the sake of testing the codes lol :

img20170528124200g5um9.jpg

img2017052812421822uza.jpg

img201705282142337suot.jpg

( project history: pic1, pic2, pic3, pic4, pic5, pic6 )

2xAA is about in the voltage range of LTO. Not my idea, so plz don't hit me
qq03513u6u.gif

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

Today i am testing FW1.14beta

If new firmware is in the works, how about they make the program shortcuts(currently UP+SNB) usable while theyre at it.
Big issue with using the shortcuts, is that if you already have 1 battery charging you cant use them because pressing up or down takes you to DDV(voltage + temp graphs).
Either priority can be used, say if any slot in READY state then pressing UP or DOWN doesnt activate DDV, or make DDV a longpress command on UP or DOWN.

Also at the moment you can only program 4 shortcuts, make that 8 by adding the DOWN+SNB.Easier to make full use of the function if youre using more than 1 chemistry. That DOWN+SNB combination sitting unused for very long, time to get it in the game :)

dfacex

Newly Enlightened

i am guessing that one could build a DIY adapter for this exotic battery in mc3k slot, similar to the Kentli charger's positive terminal:

I thought the same, thanks for pointing that out.

Great to see huge progress on LTO chem support implementing!

ArmaBene

Newly Enlightened

Another idea I'm thinking about is related to calibration and voltage measurement.
Currently only one value both for voltage and current is used for calibration and so the charger simply scales the readouts according to the computed calibration factors.
But to take care of voltage offset issues, if feasible, the charger could enable an advanced voltage calibration to compute both an offset and a scaling factor to improve voltage measurement. Obviously the user will have to use two different cells to be able to calibrate at 2 corresponding voltages (and not too close one to the other to have a better offset estimation).
What do you think about this idea?

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

If new firmware is in the works, how about they make the program shortcuts(currently UP+SNB) usable while theyre at it. Big issue with using the shortcuts, is that if you already have 1 battery charging you cant use them because pressing up or down takes you to DDV(voltage + temp graphs). Either priority can be used, say if any slot in READY state then pressing UP or DOWN doesnt activate DDV, or make DDV a longpress command on UP or DOWN. Also at the moment you can only program 4 shortcuts, make that 8 by adding the DOWN+SNB.Easier to make full use of the function if youre using more than 1 chemistry. That DOWN+SNB combination sitting unused for very long, time to get it in the game :)
Hello DeJaVu, the <UP+SNB> works also when a slot is charging 1 battery. For example [11] be assigned to <UP+SNB1> and the charger status be:
#1 [01] busy; #2 [02] empty; #3 [03] ready; #4 [01] empty.
Now hit the <UP+SNB#1>-keys at the very same time. For this, I recommend using <index+middle>-fingers of your right hand if you're a righty; this would be 1 double note with fingering (2 3). Hit crisply, don't press. Similar to wrist staccato. If the two keys don't get registered at the vely same moment, then yes you will end up in DDV :eek:. Today I wanted to shoot a short video demonstrating my staccato of the double note but these days i am too busy watching roland garros sorry :D. Anywho i've tested it and the new charger status becomes:
#1 [01] busy; #2 [11] empty; #3 [11] ready; #4 [11] empty.
In fact, #1 does really not get overwritten. So when you long-press <STOP> now, the status becomes:
#1 [01] ready; #2 [11] empty; #3 [11] ready; #4 [11] empty.

This behavior is correct and as intended by 🐿️
( If you find a written description of <UP+SNB> which differs from this example, then you found something wrong 🤐 )
(( The reason why there is little time tolerance for the double key pressing is of technical nature and can't be helped. Just saying, these common switches are not designed to be pressed at the same time. Think of the rubber buttons on any handheld DMM, and try to press two of them at the same time as normal operation; so DMM designers don't program double key presses as normal operations of the UI. Switches/keys for this purpose do exist though 🤑, they are made in gemani ))

Also at the moment you can only program 4 shortcuts, make that 8 by adding the DOWN+SNB.Easier to make full use of the function if youre using more than 1 chemistry. That DOWN+SNB combination sitting unused for very long, time to get it in the game :)
8? 😶
OIC
No promises when we get your 8 but i am seconding it. Good call!
If anyone has another suitable suggestion for DOWN+SNB, please let us know thanks appreciated! Otherwise we'll do the 8 np. 😝

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

Hello DeJaVu, the <UP+SNB> works also when a slot is charging 1 battery. For example [11] be assigned to <UP+SNB1> and the charger status be:
#1 [01] busy; #2 [02] empty; #3 [03] ready; #4 [01] empty.
Now hit the <UP+SNB#1>-keys at the very same time.
God damnit, it was working all this time......... :)
When there is no busy slots, then you can press UP+SNB sequentially and it works.Because of that it seemed to me that it isnt working when there are busy slots, as sequential pressing would always land me in DDV.
Im glad to find out after all this time that it actually works :), but still it would be nice from usability perspective, to add slight delay to DDV, like 1second or so.
With the current configuration you can still miss-click and dont get the desired effect which is somewhat frustrating.
DDV longpress = happy program shortcut users :p

8? 😶
OIC
No promises when we get your 8 but i am seconding it. Good call!
If anyone has another suitable suggestion for DOWN+SNB, please let us know thanks appreciated! Otherwise we'll do the 8 np. 😝
Yeah it would be nice addition.Personally i would use 4 for Li-Ion and 4 for Ni-Mh as those are the most common chemistries i use, and at the moment 4 are just not enough to cover most popular battery sizes.Im sure other people would tailor it to their specific needs.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

but still it would be nice from usability perspective, to add slight delay to DDV, like 1second or so.
With the current configuration you can still miss-click and dont get the desired effect which is somewhat frustrating.
DDV longpress = happy program shortcut users :p
i've added your 2 suggestions to de list. you might see them as improvements but imho the longpress-for-DDV is a toss. by now i am firmly used to shortclick-for-DDV (and i certainly enjoy hitting the charger:crackup:) as detailed in all the documentation (MANUAL, CHEAT SHEET). I'd rather agree with the 8 memories but this would entail changes in both the manual and cheat sheet too. from what i can tell, from now on it will take longer and longer until we see such minor fine-tunings finally accepted and realized. the folks prefer to wait and collect more suggestions or more substantial ones, before they finally agree that altogether the changes are warranted in 1 batch job.

well, your fine-tune suggestions are on the list, and they will be seriously considered and eventually implemented.

at some point 😉

your attention to detail is appreciated, thanks so much!! :kiss:

ArmaBene

Newly Enlightened

I'd prefer measurement and charge profiles improvements (if possible) rather than changes limited to the user interface...
Anyway the simple fact that the charger development is still in progress makes me really happy. :thumbsup:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

well, we the community are developing.
they only do the implementation :thumbsup:
that's how i sees it :p

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

well, we the community are developing.
they only do the implementation :thumbsup:
that's how i sees it :p

Kreisl

A guy on BLT has a problem with his MC3000, He says the battery sliders are hard to move, Other members are sugesting lubricating them, I recommended to checked with you first.

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/54703

John.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks John. The slider slides on top of the rail. On top. So there can't be anything holding the slider back from its movement and the sliding movement should feel natural and unimpeded. I could think of 3 tings:
1) the spring gets caught somewhere inside, maybe at the edge of the PCB. This would create a scratchy sound.
2) the tip of the spring is not seated in the middle of the slit of the rail. This would create a scratchy sound too.
3) the bottom edges of the slider are not rounded off, the burr(s) scratch along the rail. This would scratch up the rail.

While the production line worker found the sliding behavior of a particular unit within the acceptable tolerance band, QC passed!, a very critical end consumer might prefer natural unimpeded sliding as on my sample.

I am a critical end consumer, so i checked 1) 2) 3) to pass my own QC. Personally i don't recommend the use of Deoxit Gold or other grease on the rails. In the end grease only catches dust/smoke/debris and things get dirtier i guess.

hope this helpz

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

ArmaBene

Newly Enlightened

Another idea I'm thinking about is related to calibration and voltage measurement.
Currently only one value both for voltage and current is used for calibration and so the charger simply scales the readouts according to the computed calibration factors.
But to take care of voltage offset issues, if feasible, the charger could enable an advanced voltage calibration to compute both an offset and a scaling factor to improve voltage measurement. Obviously the user will have to use two different cells to be able to calibrate at 2 corresponding voltages (and not too close one to the other to have a better offset estimation).
What do you think about this idea?
Completely ignored??

T_zero

Newly Enlightened

what are the differences between the MC3000 and the NC2600?

ChibiM

Enlightened

NC2600 is the Lithium-ion-less version. Should be for nimh and nicd only.

SweD

Newly Enlightened
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Quick question regarding semantics. In terms of "calibration" using a reference source, isn't that completely different to "adjustment"? In my mind, calibration is about keeping track of an instrument's drift over time, to ensure a reliable confidence level in its readout. Once adjusted, with new settings, there's really no way of knowing the accuracy one week further on, sort of back to square one when the history is lost?

Just thinking out loud, no expert in the matter. :)

Last edited: