• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

SL2 (Must Have)

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look what came in the mail.
She's a beauty!
f220a90cdbb44f25c197171539e13581.jpg

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
What LED option did you go for?
That's the triple XPL PDT w/copper hear sink & driverVN2. The color is exactly neutral to my eye. It has a very useful beam, neither a pencil beam nor a super wide flooder. On high, it gets hot FAST!

Last edited:

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a little more about my observations of the heat produced by my SL2, shown above.

On 100%, it gets too hot after about a minute. This would be used momentarily to look at something further away or in more detail, but not to run continuously.

On 30%, it seems to reach a plateau of heat and stabilize at a point where the head is hot, but can be held continuously. The handle is only slightly warm. (I ran it for about 15 minutes in a 75° house.)

I'll set mine to driver mode #9 which is 1%, 30%, 100% with no memory.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I like the idea of having good protection for my lights, especially the ones I take on backpacking trips. I plan to make a holster for my S200C2vn.

ven

Flashaholic
Not bad holsters at all vinh, i have a few different sizes from small/med/large. Pretty good material and fit for the money, similar to nitecore type quality imo.

Small fit lights that are small 18650 just, med are more for a typical lenser t7 sized light

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took this light hiking /camping this weekend. We were in a large clearing, surrounded by pines and moderate underbrush. I aimed the SL2 toward the trees and it lit up far into the forest with an even, smooth, broad beam. My friends were flabbergasted! This is the 3rd V54 light I blinded them with!

Mine is the triple XPL PDT.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the triple XPL throw very well? I got the triple 219c. Beautiful tint but it's very floody.
Nope, triple lights are not meant to throw well.. If u are looking for throw, u should consider reflector based lights.

But of cuz the triple XPL will out throw the N219c thru sheer power.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the triple XPL throw very well? I got the triple 219c. Beautiful tint but it's very floody.
The beam isn't like a reflector light with flood vs hot spot with varying proportions, depending on the light. It is an even beam, not two parts. Some describe it as a very concentrated flood and others as a huge hot spot.
While not a thrower, per se, it has plenty of distance to make it a perfect forest light.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some describe it as a very concentrated flood and others as a huge hot spot.

I have that same XPL Triple, and MAD777 is right. I lean towards "huge hot spot" when I think about it.

The ratio of distance to area of illumination is about 3-to-1 or 4-to-1: to get a one-meter circle of light on a wall, stand back between 3 and 4 meters. That means that at 100 meters, you are going to illuminate a circle of about 30 meters, quite big, not like a thrower. But the Triple is putting out so much luminous flux that that 30 meter circle will be very well lit-up! And very even light across the circle; no hot spot inside of it.

huffman.matthew

Newly Enlightened
If only we can buy multiple heads and swap them around for flood/throw.
I was thinking that would be great, when they get the spare sl2c tubes in I'm gonna get one of those, but I was also thinking how great it would be to be able to pick up another, more throwy, head (if such a thing exists)

Latest posts