Slippery Pineapples

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
The grippiest metal I've ever felt is when a grip is hand checkered with a file. No machine can reproduce the jagged edges of hand filed edges.

Get a file and start checkering that Malkoff host. It's done every day by custom 1911 smiths. don't even have to checker…just make random grooves. call them hard-use beauty marks
Gun Smiths use Jewelers (Vee) files. It'll will look a bit more refined than hitting with a 12" mill..

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
The grippiest metal I've ever felt is when a grip is hand checkered with a file. No machine can reproduce the jagged edges of hand filed edges.

Get a file and start checkering that Malkoff host. It's done every day by custom 1911 smiths. don't even have to checker…just make random grooves. call them hard-use beauty marks
That's actually a good idea. It would solve the slippery issue and wouldn't have to worry about adhesive material eventually wearing off. Malkoffs are tools, not jewelry.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff changed body designs because the older design had too many mess ups during anodizing…I guess they trash throws rather them sell them as blems.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Start with something like this then finish with a needle file if you need to go deeper.

Grobet USA Pillar Checkering File 6 Inch Cut 00 20 lines per inch https://a.co/d/egMEVbz

Epoxy and silicon carbide probably the easiest route and as long as the host is cleaned with acetone the bond should be permanent

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the 21700 body and couldn't get along with it being so slippery to grip so I sold it on.

It's beautifully made but unfortunately, for me, it is more form over function, so I won't be buying any more MD bodies for now.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I have yet to try the newer MD bodies, but if they are less grippy than the knurled ones (which aren't super grippy) then they're too slick for me. They look nice but that's not a good reason to switch over.

I have one of fivemegas MD 18350 bodies and that one has nice grippy knurling.

340pd

Newly Enlightened
My solution for not losing control of my light.
MD2.jpg

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
That gets super slippery in real world use.
Just like it does when applied to handguns.

The quick fix is Talon granulate grip…not the rubber Talon but the granulate option.

If you need a real long-term solution then look at epoxy and silicon carbide. It's cheap and works. I use it for other applications to solve the same issue.

I need something for my 2xAA MDC Malkoff. That thing *is* slippery with zero knurling of any kind. I wonder what thought process led to that . . . . creation.

Agree with OP. I am not getting any pineapple stuff. I got one in a trade just for a different look, that's the only purpose.

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
I have some grip tape on its way to me arriving tomorrow.
Thinking 3 or 4 rotations strategically placed on the 21700 body ought to do the trick.

Gene himself recommended me use grip tape to stop any slip in the hand.
It's a very cheap and easy fix, if the tape wears out over time, easy to cut it off and reapply some more.

I love the HD 18650 with the 21700 body, it's a rockstar... hard to
beat the performance and keep the same size/form factor. Especially having that Hi/Lo ring. It's very nice.

It's interesting Gene decided on this type of finish for his lights, I'd imagine one wouldn't ordinarily want such a slick/slippery finish on a flashlight. But If some grip tape will correct the issue, I suppose it really isn't a huge deal.

I shall report back later with the results of my endeavor!

Johnny Ryall

Newly Enlightened
Ranger bands work well as someone posted earlier, if I could find a heavy duty ranger sleeve that would be better for the 52100 body. TBH I feel the new and old body grip the same, these older body's aren't that grippy, the grip on the 1 & 1.5 are the best outa all 3.
IMG_2468.jpeg

Alaskantinbender

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately, I have to agree. It is very well-made and solid, but the newer body is just too slippery. I picked up a nice MD2 in the spring and have been carrying it all summer really trying to like it. Lots of good ideas here to mediate the issue but I'm not into "making it work". I have gone back to my old 6P body with an M61 and a pocket clip. The original Surefire tail cap with a clicky mod works better for me as well.
IMG_6093[1].JPG

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If heat dissipation isn't an issue.
Wrap the barrel with hockey tape.
Wrap each end of the hockey tape with heavy-duty duct tape.
(To keep the hockey tape from unraveling at the ends over time.)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Folks need to remember that Gene builds lights meant to easily deploy from a tight fitting holster.

In early tactical light history the makers like LA Screw had knurling you could use as a wood rasp. The problem was they were difficult to deploy in a hurry. It's one reason why Kel-Lite, Maglite and others had such "gentle" knurling back then. Kel-Lite and Maglite only knurled a portion as well. The rest was smooth.

But you also need to remember that a true hard coat anodize adds thickness like a few thin coats of paint. That in turn tends to make things more smooth. It's why other manufacturers use aggressive knurling or do not hard coat their lights.

I think Maglite got it right with their grenade grip series. Their MagTac2 has a smooth barrel with a built in grip ring. Yet both easily deploy from a tight holster. I always felt like if Gene had stuck with the knurling he used to use on those early MD's with the Kroll switch that would be good enough.

Just my 2 cents.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I think Elzetta has the best of all. Grooves cut to aid with grip, knurling plenty deep and even slight anti-roll grooves at the light end without really affecting deployment.

Last night I went walking wearing shiney leather gloves carrying Maglite that has grenade grip. I kept thinking I sure wish it had a wrist strap attached. The only light I own that feels grippy with those gloves is my PKDL FL-2 that can double as a wood planer. Not even the Elzetta Bones or Bravo feels grippy with those gloves.

I believe the hard coat finish adds to the slippery thing. I appreciate Gene providing the hard coat but believe it adds to the slippery feel. His new style MDC is the best Malkoff gripper in my view.

Again, just my 2 cents.