Slippery Pineapples

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife even said it was slippery when she had to use mine, and she never agrees with me

Bring back the knurled bodies. Wouldn't mind a knurled MDC body also

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I the only one that epoxies 36 grit silicon carbide to their light bodies ?

IMG_3540.jpeg

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
View attachment 50111
Found this on a google search from EDCforums. He used Dragon Grips

That gets super slippery in real world use.
Just like it does when applied to handguns.

The quick fix is Talon granulate grip…not the rubber Talon but the granulate option.

If you need a real long-term solution then look at epoxy and silicon carbide. It's cheap and works. I use it for other applications to solve the same issue.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. That does make sense.

The talon granulate would work great. It's like the skateboard sandpaper texture, may chew up pockets pretty good though.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard users like kernels, use pockets!? They IWB, 60grit right down the back of his Levi's 🔦

Exactly and it ain't no skinny jeans Levi's either. The only time we put down the lights is when we're putting our hands in bullet-ant mittens. Even then, the Malkoff headlamp holder with 3 MD2 M61SHO stays ready

340pd

Newly Enlightened
I have had no problems but if I did I would use tennis racquet grip tape.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Can't stand slippery lights!
I want something half a notch below cheese-grater in terms of checkering. And no, I'm actually not joking.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The grippiest metal I've ever felt is when a grip is hand checkered with a file. No machine can reproduce the jagged edges of hand filed edges.

Get a file and start checkering that Malkoff host. It's done every day by custom 1911 smiths. don't even have to checker…just make random grooves. call them hard-use beauty marks

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't had any detailed familiarity with the Malkoff line for very long, but gather that Malkoff once used a more 'conventional' machining for those body surfaces (checkering / knurling), then switched to the surface treatment my fairly new MD2 has. Does anyone who was paying attention at the time recall any comments from them regarding why the change was made / what motivated it?

@knucklegary : From your perspective, do you have insight into what might have motivated that change, from a machining / production standpoint?

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Possibly FB followers know what triggered the change. I remember many users here on CPF complaining about the smooth knurling being too slippery under all conditions.
It truly is a shame Gene discontinued old style, instead of offering as an option with deeper sharper knurling.

Btw, less pre ano tumbling on the (pineapple) parts would maintain sharper edges improving grip security. Although, the ano finish would come off those sharp corners faster. No doubt that's why they're tumbled to the extent they are now.