Small Portable Radio's?

lightyearsaway

Newly Enlightened
A CCrane CCRadio2 update is incoming; the CCRadio2E "Enhanced" will feature boosted FM performance and upgraded audio for better voice and music playback.

Good to know, glad I did not pick one up yet. Will wait for the new one to come out. I did however pick up, finally, one of those yellow Sony radios you recommended awhile ago. Brand new too. Any diea when the new CCrane will be released?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
A CCrane customer service person confirmed that the new CCRadio2E has an updated DSP chip and wider bass and treble control range.

I did however pick up, finally, one of those yellow Sony radios you recommended awhile ago. Brand new too. Any diea when the new CCrane will be released?

Heck of a find! They haven't made those in a long time, I got mine as they were just about gone; hope you enjoy your serious new tool! And the new CCRadio2E is shipping now, the old standard CCRadio2 model has been discontinued.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have three CC Radio's, one a CCRadio-2. Sound is mostly good but not as good as my Super Radio II, that I pulled out my garage recently. Am wondering if they did something to the speakers of the CCRadio 2-E to improve sound quality, as well as the new DSP chip? Time will tell, no doubt, but I do look forward to some good reviews. BTW, the sensitivity and selectivity of the Super Radio is awesome.

Bill

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three CC Radio's, one a CCRadio-2. Sound is mostly good but not as good as my Super Radio II, that I pulled out my garage recently. Am wondering if they did something to the speakers of the CCRadio 2-E to improve sound quality, as well as the new DSP chip? Time will tell, no doubt, but I do look forward to some good reviews. BTW, the sensitivity and selectivity of the Super Radio is awesome.

Bill

I wish I has an SRII. I have a couple CCRadios and a couple of Super Radio IIIs. Sometimes I'd tune a CCRadio to a freq I was trying to DX and then listen as I tried to home in on it with an SRIII. It worked pretty well sometimes.

Last edited:

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Gogrove OR3 Portable Bluetooth Wireless Speaker to use with my Tecsun PL-398BT shortwave radio and so far I am very impressed. There are several options out there when it comes to rechargeable Bluetooth speakers but after reading several reviews I settled on the OR3. I really like the Tecsun PL-398BT shortwave radio but I have to say the small speakers are not the best so sound quality suffers somewhat as it will with a lot of small radios. When I am at home I use the Tecsun PL-398BT to connect my phone which has about 500 MP3s on it to a pair of Bose Companion 2.0 speakers VIA Bluetooth and the sound is incredible but the Bose Companion 2.0 speakers require AC power so portability is not really an option. The Gogrove OR3 is very flexible, it can connect directly to my phone VIA Bluetooth or to my Tecsun PL-398BT VIA the auxiliary jack but the best feature the Gogrove OR3 has is an incredible 16 hour runtime on a single charge. The sound is amazing and can easily fill a room. If you are looking for something portable to enhance your small radios sound or a rechargeable speaker to listen to your phones MP3s on the go then this is one option you may want to consider. For only $39.99 from Amazon it is hard to go wrong.

agogrove4_zpsbadf1c6f.jpg

agogrove3_zps89ac5410.jpg

I'm not trying to be a cynic here and please excuse my ignorance but what are the uses for these portable Bluetooth speakers and what good are they except for using fairly close to an audio device or desktop or laptop computer?

I have a 20 year old Recoton wireless speaker that works fabulous and has a range of 200 feet or more and will receive a signal through walls or around corners. It is heavy though, weighing close to 7 lbs. and as it's power source it contains a rechargeable but heavy SLA, (sealed lead acid), battery.

I like listening to talk radio and living very rural I have no talk radio here on either AM or FM so I listen to it through my desktop using iHeart internet radio which is a blessing for me. I like listening to it outside while I'm working and noticed these portable Bluetooth speakers and thought it would be nice to have a small and light speaker to listen to outside instead of hauling around my heavy Recoton wireless.

I ordered a a small Bluetooth speaker that was highly recommended on some internet tech sites and imagine my surprise upon receiving it that it only had a 30 foot, (or less), range and the signal wouldn't go through walls or even round corners. Needless to say, I returned it and just deal with my old faithful but heavy Recoton wireless.

So other than using a Bluetooth speaker with a crappy sounding portable or whatever and don't want a wire, why are they so popular with their limited range when you can get a wired portable speaker that sounds great and costs less? Just wondering.

Al

Enlightened
..... So other than using a Bluetooth speaker with a crappy sounding portable or whatever and don't want a wire, why are they so popular with their limited range when you can get a wired portable speaker that sounds great and costs less? Just wondering.

Think I have an answer to your question: Toys don't have to be practical - just fun!

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
So other than using a Bluetooth speaker with a crappy sounding portable or whatever and don't want a wire, why are they so popular with their limited range when you can get a wired portable speaker that sounds great and costs less? Just wondering.

Gene

For me anyway I use the speaker to listen to MP3s on my phone and I find it beneficial not to have my phone hardwired to the speaker. I can have the phone next to me and skip songs and place the speaker on the other side of the room where the sounds is better. Also at work I carry my phone in my pocket so it's not very practical to have the phone wired to the speaker. Like most things I guess it really depends on your own set of circumstances as to what works best for you. I like the 200ft range you mentioned in your post regarding your speaker but range is not critical for my needs. I would imagine using your speaker to listen to mp3s on a phone or I pad you would need some kind of adapter for the audio jack?

Al

Enlightened
The standard CCRadio2 was discontinued several days ago; so as long as you're buying from CCrane or a source that specifies the E model, you're good to go.

Already understood that, but unfortunately implicit trust is not a saleable commodity these days. There should be something more ... model #, applied internal (but visible) labeling by the manufacturer, etc.

That said, sure would like more info on the different DSP now being used.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Radio Shack clearance time again, more insane price drops; aside from big cuts on their own models, the big news is the Grundig G2 for $49:

5002lrg.jpg

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hmmm . . . .

As i understand, from reading product descriptions,

Grundig G2 is powered strictly by a built-in Lithium-Ion battery.

Grundig G3 is powered by 4 AA cells (removable), in your choice of Chemistries.

Any other major changes ? ? ?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Any other major changes ? ? ?

The two radios are completely different, the G2 is meant to be a niche/specialty unit, not comparable to the flagship G3. You'd have to really love your MP3s to go for the G2, since that's about all it has going for it; $49 is about right, and even then I personally would prefer the sound fidelity of the $20-cheaper Meloson M7, which shares the goofy cell battery/USB-charge-only power scheme.

Al

Enlightened
I suspect the serial number is the answer, but no one who has received the new model has noted it yet.

Thinking about purchase ... think I'll wait untill some ambitious soul does a surgical review.